Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
New Camper

Angry Furnace problems

I have a question regarding the furnace in my 2011 Cruiser 315RE. I set the digital Dometic thermostat for the furnace to come on, I hear a click in the furnace area but blower will not run and no ignition. The furnace is located below the refrigerator and the access cover doesn't allow access to much without pulling the entire unit out. Is there a separate breaker/fuse someplace for the furnace, I looked in the main breaker/fuse panel but don't see anything specifically labeled for the furnace. Thought I would try some basic troubleshooting prior to yanking the unit and taking to the shop as I have the camper parked at a seasonal site about 90 miles from my dealer. Thanks for any help you can provide.
KVanMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
New Camper

It's the Suburban SF series furnace.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If the blower isn't running, then nothing else will happen, w/o air flow the 'sail switch' will prevent the propane valve from opening. The blower is 12V and the 12V fuses are generally not labeled, but I think each fuse has a red LED next to it to indicate if it is blown. But check them all anyway, sometimes even corrosion will result in a faulty connection.

How long has it been since you last used the furnace? The #1 problem is wasp, mice, etc building a nest in the blower area by entering thru the exterior vent and keeping the blower from turning. So if you don't have a bug screen over the vent, that is the most probably cause.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the information, I'll start pulling fuses and see what I find. I had all the screws removed and the propane line disconnected yesterday but when the furnace wouldn't come out easily I lost the little bit of confidence I had and reassembled. If I do end up pulling the unit out to inspect/clean the blower, how hard is it to realign the vent pipes when reinstalling? As far as reconnecting the propane line, it's a compression fitting so just retighten the fitting and I should be good to go? Sorry...I'm a little green when it comes to messing with propane appliances.

2004 Silverado 2500 D/A
2011 Cruiser 315RE Patriot
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

In the Documents section of this forum, there is a troubleshooting guide and installation guide for Suburban furnaces.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Took mine out a few yrs ago, a little trouble getting it out, especially because it's on the floor! Wasp ( dirt dauber ) nests keeping blower from turning. Cleaned it up, replaced it, and bought screens for outside!

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
New Camper

When putting the furnace back in can I reuse the propane fittings? Seems like I read/heard someplace that you should never reuse fittings.

2004 Silverado 2500 D/A
2011 Cruiser 315RE Patriot
Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Should be able to - make sure you use teflon tape for gas (yellow) or piping putty for gas (yellow).

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have a Dometic thermostat also, and I discovered that for the furnace to run, the fan must be set to "auto", not "hi" or "low". Hope this helps.
manty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace