Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Grey water gate valve won't open

New to me 2012 patriot, the remote, cable operated gate valve for shower would not open for me this morning. It had worked fine one week ago, and the others worked fine too (although all 3 felt kind of stiff). This morning, I drained the black tank, then kitchen but the bathroom one would not budge. I opened the underbelly cover to access the valve but could not see any way to move it by hand. Crawled out and tried it again, opened right up🤔. Am I looking at a bad cable or valve?
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Had a black tank one that would not close all the way. Replaced with a Valterra valve and it moves super easy now. I don't know what brand Keystone uses, but I will end up with all Valterra valves as the stick ones continue to fail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lub

I'm not sure what is going on with your gate valve. They are stiff and often hard to pull. I'd try running hot water down the drain while exercising them. I also keep a bottle of Lock-Ease by the tee pull handles and often put a few drops on the pull handle rods. Hopefully some of the lubricating graphite makes it's way down into the cable. We occasionally use the gate valve lub but with limited results.

Sitting here for 3 to 6 months with the grey gates open we worry about how they will operated but so far, so good.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

From my experience the way they twist/contort all the cables lube will never get much past the handle, the cables are about 6' long & go up/down/around & then pull the valve at an angle. I've had better luck adding about a 1/4 cup of cooking oil to the empty tank with the valve closed a couple times a year, I use cheapo dish soap in the black tank to lube that valve.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote