Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

we have a 2010 29rk and when we step up into the bedroom area the heat duct vent flexes and pops, I thought maybe it was not fastened down good but it seams like it is just flexing. Sounds like rolling thunder, has anyone else had this problem? andif you havewhat if anything have you done to fix it.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
We had the same thing. Go get a roll of heating duct tape, it's silver and made of a thinnish metal material. I used it to seal the edges, wrap around the edges and run it around the perimeter of the duct. It seems to have worked.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have the same problem, but haven't tried to fix it yet.I also have the sound in a spot at the end of the kitchen counter at times.I have thought about putting a up right riser in the duct to hold it tighter.I figure any material should work,wood metal plastic.I'll get around to it someday.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Are you sure it is the flexible ducting that is making the noise or thealuminum duct the runs the length of the trailer. Ours would make a thunder noise when we stepped just right in the bathroom and it was the aluminum duct flexing. I went through thepass throughstorage compartment and screwed a couple of 1X2's across the floor joist to keep it from flexing and no more noise. I was lucky I could get to that area without having to drop the bottom cover of the trailer.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have a 2009 CF29RK and have the duct noise in the bedroom area as well. Right between the sink and the toilet closet. I have not looked at fixing this yet; however, thanks for the idea about some silver duct tape etc....

2009 - 2500HD GMC D/A
tyrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Hunter, I have the same issue in my 31QB...did you simply screw the 1x2's across the bottom of the joists? Did you just fasten them across the 2 joists that surround the duct or did you go across more? I can get to those joists in my pass through as well.

On a similiar note, has anyone done anything to insulate that area better...I noticed that the floor above that pass though stays very cold?

2003 F250 PSD

Central Jersey
JerseyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I took two 1X2's and went cross ways across the joist. The aluminum duct was loose in that area and popped when we stepped in the right spot. BeforeI put the 1X2's in place I ran a piece of foam insulation tape across them to cushion them against the duct work.

I have insulated the entire floor area in the front and pass through storage areas. I used 2" ridged foam board that comes in 4'X8' sheets. I cut them to fit between the joist and wedged them in place. After I got all the insulation in place I bought two rolls of the aluminum bubble insulation and covered all the joist and ridged insulation with that. You use to be able to feel cold or heat on the bedroom and bathroom floor but not sinceI did the insulating. Total cost was about $125 and about a days work.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
We had the same thing. Go get a roll of heating duct tape, it's silver and made of a thinnish metal material. I used it to seal the edges, wrap around the edges and run it around the perimeter of the duct. It seems to have worked.

The silver duct tape worked great. Thanks
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Glad it worked!!!!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote