Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
New Camper

High Low Point Drains?

Greetings from a newbie Cruiser owner,

We just picked up a new to us 5th wheel, our first after owning a number of bumper pulls and motorhomes. There are two blue valves on the docking station panel that are not labeled, and the PO sort of waved his hands when I asked what they were for (see picture). I didn't give it much thought at the time, thinking I'd figure it out later. Well, I can't. I've searched the underside of the trailer from stem to stern and can't find the low point drains. If these blue valves are indeed supposed to be the low point valves (notice I say "supposed"), my question is why are they not at the low point? The only way I could possibly get them to be the low point would be to lower the landing gear waaaaaay down, sort of like giraffe getting a drink of water.

And if they are not the low point valves, where are they and what are these impostors?

Thanks in advance, we're sure excited about hooking up and heading out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mystery Valves.jpg (123.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Are they quarter/half turn valves? Is there any pex pipe sticking out of the under side below them?
Picture is posted where it's kind of difficult to view.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Befuddled
They are your low point drains...I have a 2013 Cruiser and my LPD's are in thee same place...

Lloyd
The right of his picture is the bottom of the compartment...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
New Camper

They are indeed quarter turn valves with hot and cold (red and blue) pex draining below the trailer. It just seems wrong that they are very clearly not the low point. The water heater and pump are located in the very back of the trailer under the kitchen sink with plumbing going down into the underbelly compartment, which is where I thought the drains should be. As it is, these valves only drain the bathroom area. Bummer.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
New Camper

Ya, I didn't catch that my picture rotated when I attached it, putting the lower end on the right, sorry.

So what do you do about draining your rig? I usually use compressed air, so I'm not too worried about it, but it does seem like a poor design. I certainly like the ease of having them right where I can reach them without going underneath the trailer, but I'd rather have them work properly. And why not label them?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Here is a pic of the low point drains on our 5er. Even tho they look different then what is in your picture. Apparently the pex pipe on yours is behind the wall. I think if you open the faucets in the other areas of your trailer when you have the low points open, it should drain.

I use my air compressor, then pump the pink stuff thru the lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterhookup004.jpg (51.7 KB, 25 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Befuddled
I also use my air compressor to blow out the lines, but do not use the anti freeze, as I do not live in as cold of a climate as Lloyd...I have not had any problems as far as the LPD's are concerned, seems to evacuate water very well...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

low point drain, kind of

Those little blue levers are indeed your fresh water piping low point drains, one for hot water and the other for cold plumbing; but not for the fresh water tank or the water heater. Our plumbing panel looks just as yours does and we needed to label them Hot & Cold. Turn one of them and see where the water exits and if it is hot or cold. There should be two pipes extending out the bottom of the RV just below these valves. It is possibly behind the RV skirt. It is also possible that someone at the factory forgot to install the drain pipes.
Would have been nice if one were blue and the other red.
Other than just draining out your fresh water piping we use them more often to fill a bucket to wash the RV or truck.