Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about my tow vehicle.

I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator 4x4 with the 5.4L motor. The tow weight for the vehicle is 8300lbs (dealer looked up the weight specs from a list he had). The hitch on it says it can tow 8900lbs. Which one do I believe?

Also we have a 2004 Crossroads Cruiser 30RL TT and the dry weight is 6209lbs. Is my truck enough vehicle to tow the trailer? I dont tow in mountains and will probably just stay pretty much in Michigan with it. So mostly flat land towing with small hills. Also I dont tow with anything in the tanks either except maybe 20 gallons fresh water for emergency bathroom breaks for the family.

Thanks

Brian

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

If it has a tow package ( Transmission cooler and oil cooler ) you will probably be ok. Wehad the same trailer and I think loaded you will be close to 8000 lbs +. The hitch weight was under 1000 lbs. Ours towed easy.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Based on the manufacturers limits, the most you can tow is 8,300#, regardless of the hitch capacity. Beyond that, you have to conform to whatever weight rating is tied to your vehicle registration. RVers rarely get stopped to be weighed, but if you are over your registered max weight it can be a hefty fine.

The dry weight of your trailer is just that, dry weight - without anything else added such as propane, water, food, clothing, chairs, awning(s). Some manufacturers list the dry weight of the trailer before any accessories are added, such as refrigerator, stove, air conditioner, television(s), etc. I'm not sure how CrossRoads does it, but I'm sure they will tell you if asked. I always base my towing plan on the gross weight of the trailer, not the dry weight, figuring I'll be close to gross when traveling on long trips. This also helps with sizing the tow vehicle.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I bet your OK, Do you have the tow package ? You are going to need a transmision cooler for sure, I wouldn't tow it any where with out one. You will notice a big differance if you ever step up to a 3/4 truck. I never used the weight dist bars after we got our 3/4 truck as it didn't make any differance.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Yes the truck does have a tow package on it. And with that tow package it does have a trans cooler on it and also an oil cooler too.

The trans cooler is about the size of a sheet of paper, and the oil cooler is about half that size.

I checked today with the dealer to see if it did have a trans cooler on it and they told me where it was on the truck. I figured it was in the radiator as some were in my past dealing with cars and trucks. So I looked for the cooler, and this one has the lines that go into the radiator and then they come out and go into an external trans cooler also.

Thanks

Brian

Old 09-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Brian, I think you could use more truck but where you live and as long as your careful I think you should be fine.

I hear if you put a Bow Tie on it somewhere it gives you an extra 100HP lol
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I hear if you put a Bow Tie on it somewhere it gives you an extra 100HP lol

LOL Yes It does get better mileage too all dressed up for sure!

But you should see how it goes when I wear a tux and the wife is in her Sunday best. A diesel cant even hold a candle to it then!!! LOL

But anyways I was just figuring Id ask about it being a decent tow vehicle.

I had the truck before I got the trailer so I was kind of fitting the TT to the truck when I went out looking for a TT.

I got a really good deal on the truck when I bought it so I couldnt pass it up. I went from a GMC Jimmy to the Navigator and they gave me whatI wanted for my trade and gave me the price I wanted to pay for the Navigator too. I think they were hurting for business when I had gotten it from them as they came down around $6000.00 on the price of the Lincoln.

BrianEdited by: fixit5561

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Brian: I have a ct31rl dry weight 6400 and pulling with a 2003 1/2 Chev 4X4 Quad Steer that is rated at 8000/8200 pounds. Just got home from a 5500 miles trip to ca. and climbed mount. up to 8500 feet. Did not set any speed records going up hill but truck did ok. I did put a Trans temp gage on it and temp did get up to 240 deg. on some of the hills and outside temp was 117 deg. Near Reno going up we had to stop due to a bus had broke down and this was a 7 Deg. incline and I was not sure if I could get rolling. Put it into first gear and no problem getting started. My eng. is a 5.3 L with a 373 rear end. Some day I will upgrade to something else. Hope this helps you.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Your most limiting factor, in the case of a travel trailer, not 5th wheel, is the "tongue weight".

Ford is very specific about the limitations on what each and every one of their vehicles can tow/pull/haul, etc.

For added info, go the the Ford website and pull up their "Towing Guides" for your specific vehicle configuration. Most of the larger Ford dealerships will have a Towing Guide brochure, especially the larger truck dealerships.

Most Fords in the class of the Navigator have the capability of towing/pulling a steam locomotive, provided you can get a chain long enough. The kicker is that you can't put one of the locomotive wheels in a trailer and haul it without exceeding the tongue weight, in your case.

Also, the class of the hitch will determine the tongue weight, ie, Class III, Class IV,

I have a Class IV *(ball type) hitch on my F-250 PSD, with a towing package and it's limited to 500#s of tongue weight.

The next limiting factor will be the GCWR which is the combined total weight of the tow vehicle and the loaded trailer. Ford is very specific about these numbers also.

The only way you can determine "exactly" where you stand is to weigh your tow vehicle separately, then weigh both vehicles together. To determine the tongue weight, you'll have to place the hitch end only on some type of scales.

The best and most accurate means to determine these weights will be the CAT scales found at most Flying J's. A simple Ag scale at the local feed and seed store will not give the necessary information. The difference being the CAT scales will give you each individual axle weights separately which is necessary to complete the equation of A+B=C.

Most RV sales reps don't know "come here, from sic-em" when it comes to RV load capacities and tow vehicle limits.

I don't know how many times I've heard sales reps say. "Yes, Sir'ee, you can pull anything on this lot with that mighty fine looking 1/4 ton Tonka Toy"

Ihad one sales rep tell me that I could pull a 16,500#, three axle, 4-slide, 5th wheel, with my F-250 single axle PSD. The pin weight alone was nearly double the limits of my truck.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for all the info,

I did check my hitch tongue rating and it said 890# The RV dealers paper said the tongue weight was 830# So I will go with the 830# to be safe.

I do have a cat scale near me and was going to go weight the trailer and truck combined and the axle weighs too on it. It is still pretty much loaded from the season. Maybe I will do that later this week just to check it out.

Brian

Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561

I did check my hitch tongue rating and it said 890# The RV dealers paper said the tongue weight was 830# So I will go with the 830# to be safe.Brian

Bear in mind that the RV paper's weight of 830# is more than likely the "unloaded" tongue weight as the unit left the factory. Depending on howand where you loaded the rig for camping will likely change that number, especially if you have front storage compartments.

Also, I don't remember this being a unit limit. That being the case you are placing an unnecessary limit on the unit. The 60# difference in tongue weight can be a ball buster.

I'm sure that you're aware that you can vary the tongue weight by shifting weight toward the rear of the trailer. I had to do this on my CF28CK.I wasout of limits on the pin, but almost 4000#s under the GCWR.

To accomplish these limits, I keep about 1/3 tank of fresh water while traveling. I don't know if your fresh water tank is located at the very rear of your rig, but this little measure solved my weight issue. It doesn't take much to shift (effect) the center of gravity.

The big difference between a tag along and a 5ver is that you have to watch the 60/40 split a lot closer on a tag along rather than the 5ver. Even if you have a good set of sway bars, it's still a very good idea to try and stay within the envelope.

You can also determine the tongue weight on a CAT scale, it just takes a little longer to do so. Simply place a small tripod or stand that the tongue can rest, on one set of scales and the rear axles on a different set of the scales. Bingo, you have you tongue weight.Edited by: greyeagle
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for all the info,

I did check my hitch tongue rating and it said 890# The RV dealers paper said the tongue weight was 830# So I will go with the 830# to be safe.

Im sorry I worded that post the wrong way.

I should have said paper that the rv dealer had that told me what my toungue weight limit for my truck is 830#. The way that I worded it I made it look like the tongue weight of the trailer was 830#. The trucks tongue weight capacity is 830#

Sorry for the confusion.

Brian

Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

There should be 2 weight ratings on your trucks hitch. One for straight tounge weight and one when using a weight distribution hitch. On our Suburban it is 500lbs with no weight distribution and 1500lbs with a weight distribution hitch. If you are using a weight distribution hitch you should be fine.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

You can pull it. I doubt that you will be excited about its performance. Weak link in the chain is the tranny. Been there done that.

Cigar Mike

2004.5 2500 Dodge CTD

2005 Cruiser 29CK with all the options

mgratner is offline   Reply With Quote