Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

A few days ago I posted about water in the black membrane (thanks Stan) under camper. Today I think I have found my problem. 2010 30 SKP, April this year. Found 6 roundholes, 4-2" and 2-1" that go directly into area between floor and black membrane. Can clearly see fresk water tank. I think tire splash could push water in these big operings and also washing. (4 times-so far)These holes are in the rear just above bumper in the last main cross member, hard to see. You will need to get down, look across top of bumper and up slightly, may need a light. The first metal you will see is angel iron welded to the crossframe, screw tipsthe hold metal strip showing. This is covering about 10 % of the holes. So much for paying extra for the silverfoil underneath. I'm sure lots of cold and hot air could getin.Also I think of all the mice and spiders that could get in, or have gotten in already, and once they are in thelower partno trouble getting inside living areawith all plumbing and electrical holes. Would like to hear from all 30SK owners. I bet I'm not the only one with these unplugedholes. Thanks
firefighter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I have posted in the past I sealedmine up, blac Gorilla tape. These were the cause of my unwanted guests last winter.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I just looked at my 07 30SK and it only has 1 hole across the frame. Looks to be about 11/4" dia. I meant to seal it it up before but forgot . Thanks for the reminder.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I sealed the holes in mine with duck tape then spray painted the tape black to blend in with the beam.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I looked at our 33sk Kingston and saw the holes you are talking about and will plug them. The question I have is that I have a large cylinder shaft that moves in and out going through one hole what would be the best way to seal that hole?

has any one plug that hole
Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaallen1

I looked at our 33sk Kingston and saw the holes you are talking about and will plug them. The question I have is that I have a large cylinder shaft that moves in and out going through one hole what would be the best way to seal that hole?

Are you talking about the hole in the side where the slide is?

has any one plug that hole
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Old Farmer, I did not look at that area close enough. On the other end I see that it has somekind of adjustment bell, that bell is loose and turns freely. I wonder if it should be tightened someway. Anyway,I now see that it will be a openhole when the slide is out, but a closed hole when the slide is in.The shaft is so off center, I don't see how the hole will be closed all the way when that bell is up againstthe plate.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

That bell needs to be tight up against or just touchingthe frame when the slide is in. It needs to be tightened and stay that way even when the slide is out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

HunterII, thanks I can turn the bell by hand so I need to see why the bell is not tight on the shaft. Edited by: jaallen1
Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
Site Team

[QUOTE=jaallen1]

Hunter11 is right. The bell should "touch" the frame.

I closed mine up using some real heavy #60 sandpaper. I have a roll of it and I just cut it down to use on a 10in. table disc sander. I put the grit side out using the theory that mice don't like it. Glued it to the frame with some liquid nails I had laying around, and put a couple alum. pop rivets in to hold it in place while the glue set.
">

Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Old Farmer, thanks for the picture, you did a great job with the sandpaper in covering the opening. Your bell is like ours not centered in the hole.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Site Team

If you look at the bell, you will see a jam nut on the end. After you get the bell set to touch the frame, hold it so it can't turn any more and lock the jam nut against it.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, I looked at the bell and will lock the jam nut to the bell and get that hole closed.