Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 04:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Hot water tank over heating

My Atwood water heater suddenly started putting out scalding hot water. When I opened the control panel (inside the trailer) to turn it off, the red light next to the electrical switch was illuminated. Does anyone know what that indicates? My guess is the thermostat and ECO (?) sensors need changed, how expensive is that?

Flyone
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I replaced the normal cutoff switch switch with an adjustable one - purchased on amazon. The adjustable one has been working good - I have it set for about 120 deg F.

ATWOOD MOBILE PRODUCTS 93105 Adjustable Electronic Thermostat - now $28.70 (picture installed)

I purchased a set of original switches too -Atwood 91547 Front Mount Thermostat - now $18.50 (picture of the spare set I purchased)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (234.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (288.2 KB, 4 views)

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY View Post
I replaced the normal cutoff switch switch with an adjustable one - purchased on amazon. The adjustable one has been working good - I have it set for about 120 deg F.

ATWOOD MOBILE PRODUCTS 93105 Adjustable Electronic Thermostat - now $28.70 (picture installed)

I purchased a set of original switches too -Atwood 91547 Front Mount Thermostat - now $18.50 (picture of the spare set I purchased)

Bob, this is a good post! I think I will be ordering one. Have you ever tested the water temp to see what it is?
I read a few of the reviews. Some good, some not so good, but I sure like the idea of being able adjust the temp. Thanks for posting it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Have checked the temp with a meat thermometer - adjusted the thermostat per the reading on it.

Water was too hot with the originally installed temperature sensor - temp was about 160 degrees.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

hot water stat

We also installed an adjustable thermostat but learned that with a lower temperature we run out of hot water sooner. I had no luck in adjusting valves in an attempt to mix or temper the hot water supply. Next I will decrease the water pressure from 40psi to 35psi in hopes of having hot water longer.

NOTE: We now have a singing hot water supply. When winterizing I always needed to repair the check valve so I replaced it with a new unit which sings whenever any hot water valve is on. I am getting used to it.