Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
New Camper

Interested in 27MK

We are looking to get back into RVing now that both of our kids are off to college. From 2007 to 2015, we owned a 40-foot Cedar Creek and had many great trips with the kids. Now we are looking shorter and lighter for just my wife and I. We have a 2003 F350 with the V10 engine. We towed the Cedar Creek with a 2006 F350 dually with the 6.0L diesel. We did not want diesel or a dually again, although it worked great for towing the big and heavy Cedar Creek.

We like the open floorplan of the 27MK, king bed option, large holding tanks, 12V refer option, roller blinds (vs. pleated on string), receiver hitch and good storage.

Questions for the 27MK owners:

Receiver Hitch - We have two e-mountain bikes that weigh 50lbs each. Do you think these would safe on a bike rack mounted in the receiver hitch? I know the hitch is rated for 300lbs, but many say to not put heavy items on the rear hitch because road bounce magnifies the stress on the hitch.

12V Refer - Does anybody have this option? How do you like it? We had an Amana residential fridge in our Cedar Creek and four 6-volt golf cart batteries. With no solar, we could last about one day before needing to run the generator to keep the batteries up. I know the new 12V refers are more efficient than that Amana from 2007.

2nd AC - We had the second AC on our Cedar Creek but it was not ducted and just blew straight into the bedroom. We ended up using it much less than we thought as it just made the bedroom into a meat locker but did not do much for the overall coach comfort. What are your thoughts on the second AC for a shorter 5th wheel like the 27MK? I assume the second AC is also not ducted on a Cruiser Aire.

Roller Blinds - Are these much better in practice than the pleated blinds on strings that we did not exactly love?

Tri-Fold Sofa - We would prefer recliners or theater seating. Maybe something like this:https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/f...325640554.html. Would this likely fit in the space where the tri-fold sofa is?

TV Viewing - We are not big TV watchers, but we do watch movies once in a while. We figured we would sit in the U-dinette to watch the TV. Maybe get a foot stool or two so we could put our feet up and sit with our backs to the window. What do you 27MK owners if you want to watch the TV?

Solar - Have some of you added solar? We were thinking that a small system would be nice to keep up with the 12V refer. Is the factory system the way to go or is after-market better?

Thanks for any comments on your Cruiser Aire, especially any insights from 27MK owners.
my12by60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome aboard.
I don't have a 27MK, but I will share this with you. We had two different rigs where we had to watch TV at the dinette. It's not comfortable! You end up with a kink in your neck or back pretty fast.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
New Camper

That is a bit of a concern with the layout of this unit and I am curious to hear what the 27MK owners due when watching the TV. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone with that model will jump in with the answers.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We just purchased a 27MK and really like the floor plan. We have the free standing table and chairs instead of the u-shaped dinette. I do recommend this option. The 12v refrigerator seems great so far. The tv is on a articulating mount so watching tv from the couch is comfortable. I believe the area where the couch is is 62” wide (don’t quote me on that) so there is the option to swap put the tri-fold sofa for something else that suits your needs better. We have not used the a/c yet so I cannot give you any information there. The one thing that I did was to install a fireplace in the entertainment center witch turned out nice. I think you should be fine with the hitch mount bike rack, just purchase a quality rack that tightens to the hitch receiver so there is no movement. I have a Thule rack and it is very nice quality.
B9FE166C-345E-47F8-B7FC-6E94F0836099.jpg
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for the feedback, Scott. I am assuming you must have bought a unit from a lot vs. ordering. I thought a fireplace was a factory option, or maybe I am wrong? Good to hear the 12V fridge is working good so far. Sounds like you have not boondocked yet to see how quickly it depletes the battery. Thanks for the guess at 62" on the sofa space. We are in the Phoenix area and are hoping a dealer somewhat close will get a 27MK on their lot so we can see one first hand and take an exact measurement. We had the free standing dinette in our Cedar Creek but are thinking of trying the U-dinette for a change of pace. In most brands we have looked at the swing arm behind the TV has been inadequate to get the TV screen square to the seating. How close to square to the couch are you able to get in your 27MK? I imagine we could buy and upgraded, after-market swing arm if we were not satisfied with the factory swing arm. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The swing arm for the tv gets pretty close to square with the sofa because the front of the entertainment center is not perpendicular to the wall, it is on a 30 to 35 degree angle. Yes we did not order our unit.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
New Camper

Great. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We looked at the 27MK, but ended up buying the 27RKX. What turned us away from the MK was the lack of windows facing our campsite.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #10
New Camper

I can't find too much on that floor plan online. What model years had the 27RKX?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Ours is a 2012. It's a fifth wheel, but I know they have it in a travel trailer also. The newer models have a slide out in the bedroom also.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

We have a 291RK Crossroads and just added a bike rack option to the tongue. While this will add weight to the tongue ours is not terrible and does give the option to bring 2 bikes along with the other toys without putting them on the rear of the trailer or putting them in the rear of truck. I already had the bike rack ($30 at local charity) and added the bottom part with the receiver hitch. I may need to tweat the location because an electrical junction box is stalled on the one side but want to try it like this first. I also need to check my turning radius to see if it is decreased. My capper on bed of truck slopes forward away from where this is and hopefully won't interfere. In the future I also will add 30# propane tanks for when we are gone longer periods. It might make it harder to get off and have them refilled but we will see.

added- darn picture. It was in correct orientation on the computer. Well you get the idear. ;+D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5416.jpg (227.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5417.jpg (224.5 KB, 2 views)
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote