Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

So heading South through northern Montana yesterday in a monster rainstorm for about 100 miles. Stopped at Helena, MT for fuel, parked away from the pumps after fueling and checked everything on the trailer. Water leaking from centre of enclosed underside. Of course I start thinking grey tank leaking, water line leak, etc. figured I would look more closely when we got settled in West Yellowstone last night. No more leak through underside covering when we stopped.

While driving I figured out the likely problem - those nice big holes in the frame for the slides on both sides were probably getting a lot of water entry driving in that hard rain and it went to the only spot on the enclosed underside that it would drain - a section below the island that looked like it was opened up to service and then resealed when it was at the factory. I'm not a fan of soaking the crap out of the insulation under there every time I drive in the rain so now looking for some kind of deflector mod to prevent this from happening but it doesn't look like there is much you can do other than not drive in the rain.

Although other than that everything else is working great so far on the trailer and now two days out on our one month shakedown cruise!! Time will tell.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not sure on the newer units, but mine, the bottom membrane is attached to the frame with strips of metal straps and screws. I had road spray get between the membrane and frame and into the rig. I cleaned around the entire frame and duck taped the membrane to the frame and that solved my problem. I also sealed around every hole I could find: ie plumbing, suspension spring mounts water drains etc.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have to agree with Stan. We had the same problem with a
leaky belly liner. We let down the leading edge and down each side using gorilla
tape to seal the belly liner to the frame and then re-attached the metal
strips. I also used plenty of black silicon caulking on the front seal. Problem
solved. I did poke a small hole in the belly liner to let out any water that might accumulate; none has.

</span>Be careful with
the gorilla tape; once it sticks to the belly liner it doesn’t come back off.
In fact you will un-lament the liner before the adhesive lets loose.

Kamper Dave

Edited by: Kamper Dave
Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The underside is attached with metal strips and screws and all openings were caulked at the factory. The bottom seems to be sealed very well so that is why I figured the holes / gaps at the slide mechanisms on both sides are right by the wheels and are very large. Seems the more likely problem is there but will check the edges as well when I have a chance.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
The underside is attached with metal strips and screws and all openings were caulked at the factory. The bottom seems to be sealed very well so that is why I figured the holes / gaps at the slide mechanisms on both sides are right by the wheels and are very large. Seems the more likely problem is there but will check the edges as well when I have a chance.

Keep in mind when you are under the rig that much of the
bulge is caused by the black and grey water dump/gate valve actuator cables, electrical
wiring, insulation and construction debris.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
New Camper

<h1 align="center" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; line-height: normal;">
</h1>Edited by: tezpa1