Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just got home from a short 260 mile all freeway trip in our 2013 Cruiser Patriot 335SS fifth wheel. When we opened our kitchen slide we observed the top left hand corner of the wood facia near the TV/Fireplace was broken off and the ceiling directly above where the slideout sits when in has been scarred. We had the same problem 1 year ago and the dealer replaced the facia as it had split and spackled the ceiling. This was a cosmetic fix but apparently the problem with the slideout bouncing up into the ceiling has not been addressed. Has anyone else had this problem or have any wisdom to share?

Tim and Terry Kittleson

Milwaukie, Or

2013 CF335SS Patriot

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel
TTKITTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No problem with ours, 2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS, and I hit some pretty good bumps and few pot holes on our trip out west. Wonder what is causing your problem. I assume the slide is going in "tight".

So far the only slide we have had problems with is the bed slide. Parts are on the way to deal with the cracking of the bottom of the bed slide.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I've never seen this before, however if the slide out is not tightly retracted against the exterior wall, then it may tilt while bouncing down the road, if this makes sense. If this is a Schwintek type slide out, I don't know what the fix would be. But with the older style mechanisms, the slide out is only secured at the bottom, so the top can easily tilt out which will make the inside edge hit the ceiling. More pressure at the bottom is the only way to keep the top tightly against the exterior wall. Hope this makes sense.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I had a similar problem where a friend was following me and he said my kitchen slideout moved out a few inches while entering an Interstate. When I went back to the factory at the rally this year Randy told me that if it ever happened again to put the slide in...and out...3 times in a row. It will self-adjust according to him. I have not had any problems since and have 3,000 miles since the rally.

good luck,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Jim your unit does not have the Schwintec system correct?
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Since you were told to cycle 3 times ,it must be schwintek. I was told to move it out 1 foot then back in till it stops..do this 3 times.
What I did on the inside was put 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood, about 12" x 12",under the slide at each end and in the middle where the dinette seat back meets the floor. This will stop the slide from "falling" at the innermost point as there is no support there , just the slide gears holding the slide in a hovering position . This will also allow you to walk on the slide when in and your dinette seat back will not rip out of the side wall.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I've had this problem for a year now and been working with CrossRoads Bill Hodge 1-855-226-7496 in the service dept. They are well aware of this problem and many more than just ours have this issue. They have been trying to come up with a solution. Ours has scraped the ceiling twice and split the molding almost the full length of the slide this last time.
We have repairs parts waiting at our dealership but waiting for a solution fix on the slide. Talked to Bill again this morning for the 10th time and they now think replacing the slide head frame will solve the problem. Just waiting now for a part number from Lippert and the part sent to our dealer so all of this can be repaired at once.
We've been using slide locks placed on the top at each end of the slide to keep it secure during travels and this as worked during our many travels this summer but a real pain having to carry a two step ladder and with tight clearance on the left side of the slide to install these.
Should have all the info by the end of next week and keep you posted. This will be the 2nd solution they have tried so hopefully this will be the fix.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thank you for posting. This is exactly the same problem we are having. Have you had your ceiling fixed where the facia (or molding) hit it? Our ceiling is getting worse since this is the 3rd time it has come apart (in the same place) and scared the same spot. The first fix was spackling. They were originally going to put another speaker where the molding hit....glad they didn't.....the speaker would have been toast with the most recent "hit". Please keep us posted with what the fix is going to be. Our trailer is going in on Thursday, Sept. 26th for this problem. I am taking a copy of your same problem so maybe they will believe us this time!

Tim and Terry Kittleson
2013 Cruiser Patriot SS335

Milwaukie, Or

2013 CF335SS Patriot

Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Haven't repaired the ceiling or molding yet although the dealership does have the parts. Called Bill at CrossRoads again this morning a left a message to see if they have a part number for the repair part. No return call yet. Going to wait and have the repairs ceiling and molding don when the repair part is replaced one trip. They are going to replace the ceiling panel so no patch to worry about.

Our last trip for the season will be this weekend and using the slide locks on each top end of the slide has worked just a real pain to use.

Will keep on them next week when we get back until something is done and keep you informed when I get a call back.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Well, we took our 5th wheel into the dealer and gave them the information you provided us regarding your similar problems and the Bill Hodges contact. They called us back today to inform us that the fix is to replace the existing facia with one that doesn't sit so high, smooth the ceiling with spackle and a slide lock to prevent the slide from moving. Is this what Crossroads told you?

Milwaukie, Or

2013 CF335SS Patriot

Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I don't have this issue but when you mentioned "spackle" my eyes rolled. I would push for a ceiling panel replacement as J REN mentioned.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

X2, spackle is a patch job.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

NO Resolution,

Just talked to Bill the 2 time this week and we are back to zero. The other replacement head will not work.
Working out a plan to weld the existing heads and adding more support. Guess this was done in a dealership in Oklahoma that has worked (they think).
I call them several times a week and will continue this until something is done. Been working on this for over 5 months now and will keep going until its fixed.

As for the repair work we are going to wait until some type of resolution to the problem has been completed before getting the inside done. Our dealer here has the repair parts waiting, sent by CrossRoads the ceiling panel, new molding and end cap.
Sounds like maybe your dealership just wants to put a bandaid on the repairs and it should be like new when done?

Maybe you should start calling CrossRoads too. The more complaints they have maybe a faster solution :-)
1-855-226-7496

Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Maybe this is why they raised the ceilings 8" on the 2014's
bogart661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We do have a 335SS 2012 and the patch work was done 2 times by our dealer on the ceiling and I did have to cut the top (1") on the facia (top part of the slide out)to stop the damage. We did find the top part on the floor 2 times on our way to California fron the East part of Canada. We did meet another owner of a 335SS on our trip and he did try to add a top removable brake on the slide out but the wall was moving so much that the brake was falling out on the road. I will follow your advise and call to give an extra push to all your complains.

Let cross our fingers
Ford250_335SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Just received a call from our dealer that they had just gotten off the phone with Crossroads and they have a fix for this problem. They are going to "Change the head ends on the slideout rams (Bolts the head and the slideout together)". This is suppose to fix the problem so they don't have to shave down the facia moulding and use manual slideout locks. You should probably follow up with Crossroads regarding this fix.

Milwaukie, Or

2013 CF335SS Patriot