Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Update from the dealer - axle does not need to be replaced. Outer bearing race came off and the spindle is good. Both axles are still true - straight. The outer bearing on the front axle, drivers side,needed to be replaced too.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Lost a wheel.

Great news. I had the same happen last month off NYS thruway Albany area.
I checked my 4 hub temps with digital read out as I got on thruway, all were a normal 125 +\-. When I pulled in my driveway after going only100 miles, lowered windows down I heard a screeching rear wheel. Shocked to see the wheel still in tact but it spewed the bearings, and ezlube dust cap. And the wheel wobbling badly.
Cotter pin and mangled retainer washer and castle nut and EZ lube grease zerk were in tact.
I cleaned all off, was prepared for a new axle. Went to see my local very experienced truck/trailer mechanic. Also a fellow RV owner, and works on and packs bearings on four trailers a week on average.
He came to my house to inspect and the bearings were not seized or badly dis colored from heat, although I had a reading of 300 degrees when I pulled in and it was smoking.
The inner and outer bearing cages and roller bearings were all gone, but the bearings we we able to pull them off with little effort with a puller. He dressed the axle spindle with Emory. We installed all new races, new bearings, and seals on all four wheels. American made. Original all four were stamped China. I just made a relatively short trip 180 round trip and all maintained 125degrees or less! I'm still apprehensive about the axle but I take the mechanics advice, he says he's seen a lot worse. The spindle was badly scarred up the area between the two bearings but he says that's a non issue. I'm trying to see your spindle condition, but the chain etc and bearing are in the way, do you have any pictures showing the bare axle spindle I can use for comparison? I keep my speed at 60 and continue to monitor temps. If you have any bare spindle picture I love to see. You can pm me if needed. Thanks and continued good luck.
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

I did not get any additional pictures - I was surprised that the inner bearing was still on the hub. I guess the spindles are pretty tough. I have a digital infra red temp detector too. Will watch the bearing temps when I first pull the trailer.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote