Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

The bucket works. My wife does it outside the camper.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Bucket trick?
2008 F350 Super Duty, 6.4l diesel, 8' bed
CC, LWB, SRW...........green😁
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #23
Site Team

Look at Lloyds post #4 in this thread.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mark. I just went back to the beginning of this thread and saw the bucket trap.
2008 F350 Super Duty, 6.4l diesel, 8' bed
CC, LWB, SRW...........green😁
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Hey SeanRN does your wife set your bucket up outside your unit right before you turn in or run it all day? Seems like the critters make their moves after dark....
dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Don't know if anyone has ever noticed the 3" steel stabilizer that comes out with the slide under the forward section. The socket it telescopes in and out of is not a close fit, leaves a 1" space around the circumference of the stabilizer, perfect for critters to come and go. Does anyone know if a steel wool donut is made that would plug this up?
Old 01-01-2018, 01:56 AM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Peppermint oil and and body undercoat oil spray applied to the area , they don't like the smell and can't grip the oily surfaces
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:05 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

Mice

The hole is way too big, but needs to allow for some vertical movement as the slide is cantilevered out. I made a cover plate from .032 aluminum trim sheet, actually gutter stock. I then attached it permanently to the frame with stainless tech screws. The whole is very slightly oversized to allow movement. I made a rubber scutchion from 1/4”rubber hose similar to say fuel line or the like, and splitting it with a utility knife. I keep the rubber lubed with a dab of bearing grease so the rubber does not bind on movement. Note: placement is determined after several trial positions to maximize effectiveness without impeding slide tube movement. In other words hold it on there while someone goes inside and runs it in and out. I duct taped it on frame temporary when doing this. Then saw how it reacted and moved so slightly to ideal position then added scutchion, and painted it. Picture forthcoming if I can locate one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F0E9DAF5-B22D-4B8E-96BA-C19EF443D691.jpg (326.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7738A293-F909-4305-8F99-A0BD7778584C.jpg (143.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg A071FA21-15C2-4D63-8D3D-AD21843497F8.jpg (233.5 KB, 4 views)
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
The hole is way too big, but needs to allow for some vertical movement as the slide is cantilevered out. I made a cover plate from .032 aluminum trim sheet, actually gutter stock. I then attached it permanently to the frame with stainless tech screws. The whole is very slightly oversized to allow movement. I made a rubber scutchion from 1/4”rubber hose similar to say fuel line or the like, and splitting it with a utility knife. I keep the rubber lubed with a dab of bearing grease so the rubber does not bind on movement. Note: placement is determined after several trial positions to maximize effectiveness without impeding slide tube movement. In other words hold it on there while someone goes inside and runs it in and out. I duct taped it on frame temporary when doing this. Then saw how it reacted and moved so slightly to ideal position then added scutchion, and painted it. Picture forthcoming if I can locate one.
this is a major entry point.
I have used the bucket and still do at my deer camp, however as we all know all the traps and bucket so in the world won’t catch em all. Once in and nesting in our enclosed under belly’s they reek HAVOCK and damage. They then gain entry to all living areas thru oversized holes drilled by original construction. My mouse family actually got in heat ducts at the ends of said ducts are sealed with something as thin as aluminum foil. They poked right thru and had the run of the place. I terminated all duct ends using heavier gauge trim coil formed using a hand brake and screwed in place. Lot of work? Sure, but it’s worth the effort I have not had a mouse since.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
this is a major entry point.
I have used the bucket and still do at my deer camp, however as we all know all the traps and bucket so in the world won’t catch em all. Once in and nesting in our enclosed under belly’s they reek HAVOCK and damage. They then gain entry to all living areas thru oversized holes drilled by original construction. My mouse family actually got in heat ducts at the ends of said ducts are sealed with something as thin as aluminum foil. They poked right thru and had the run of the place. I terminated all duct ends using heavier gauge trim coil formed using a hand brake and screwed in place. Lot of work? Sure, but it’s worth the effort I have not had a mouse since.
Thanks Jeffur and Bowhunter, all good points and things to try, still think I would try & scare up or make a steel wool donut to install in there in conjunction with the fuel lined hole in the plate. Bowhunter I noticed you have some wiring riding on the top of the bar, is that pretty much a non issue with your rig?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportin View Post
Thanks Jeffur and Bowhunter, all good points and things to try, still think I would try & scare up or make a steel wool donut to install in there in conjunction with the fuel lined hole in the plate. Bowhunter I noticed you have some wiring riding on the top of the bar, is that pretty much a non issue with your rig?
Yes a non issue, when I had enclosed belly down for other issues at another time I was pretty amazed to see how wires etc are just slung around kinda loose.
I did see that in pictures too and probably should have tidied up with zip ties, but no issue thus far. If I open belly again (bear of a job) I’ll address then. Good eye..