Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We've been in the new RV a week today and the experience has been pretty pleasant so far, with a single exception and one item of concern.

The exception: I'm not so sure that the air bed sofas are such a good idea. My 82 year old Mom is out for a visit before we head for Alaska. We are going to buy her a folding cot at the camping supply store. We've used it twice, and it leaked more air last night than the previous night - when I came down this morning poor old Mom was curled up sideways on the bed so she could sleep between the support rails. I sold and inflatable mattress at our garage sale that held air very well, so I'm suspicious of the built in blower. Time to test the warranty and try another mattress, I'll post more on this.

The concern: The enclosure under the front half sags down in the middle. When I got under there and checked it out, it feels like there is insulation and wires that rest on the material that encloses everything. Is that normal? I don't want problems when I start traveling.

Otherwise: We are still thrilled. The lowest the temp has been since we've been in here is low 40's, but the temp inside remained comfortable all night and I didn't hear the furnace run at all. This model has a nice amount of usable kitchen counter space and a couple of extra deep drawers at the divider between the kitchen and entertainment center that are really great for storing taller items. There are lots of conveniently place electrical outlets! Having spent time in a bumper pull unit where outlets were rare and inconveniently placed, I have a real appreciation for that.

On a lighter note: About a year ago I bought a 42" Samsung plasma TV - wonderful picture quality, the best TV I've ever owned - and didn't trust the movers to get it to Alaska without damage. We brought it out and put it in the camper. It's too big for the counter in the entertainment center, so we've set on the chest of drawers in the bedroom. We've been in the habit of watching the news and weather before turning out the light, but now it feels a lot like we are parked in the front row at the drive-in.
JimmyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Jim,my wife and I were told by a rep to put the air mattress under the main bed storage. Seems like it don't like being folded up in the couch. Iknow this shouldn't happen to a new airbed.

I was just wondering if this mattress was going to cause problems.

Please let us know of your findings-thanks.

PS , my wife found out that our 335ss would be finished this week and delivered next week.Edited by: vickark
vickark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The air mattress we originally had leaked air. I called Crossroads Customer Service and was promptly sent a replacement under warranty.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Our air mattress has worked fine for more than 8 or10 uses. Apparently you just got a bad one. Have Crossroads send you a new one. We keep ours stored in the large drawer under the sofa.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Must have been operator error - the mattress has held air fine for the last two nights.

I did thorough check this morning - no drawer under this couch. They must have discontinued that feature even though there is room there. If they need to cut the cost a little, do away with the couch panel that blocks access to the area under there - it could always be used to store folding stools or tv trays or something other than air.

I'm pretty new to this, I had received email notice that there had been replies to the post and had clicked reply to the message - I wonder, did that go anywhere???
Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

VicArk:

When you get your 335, let me know how the panel on the entertainment/kitchen slide is attached. Mine was very floppy and seemed it needed a brace of some type forward of the axles. At first I thought the panel might have split vertically, but it looks very straight and I think it's a two piece panel, however, without being able to go to a dealer and check an identical unit, it's hard to say.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Jimmy, I will check on that and let you know. Hopefully we'll get to see ours next week.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
fjo
Weekend Camper

We ordered one as well. It should be built by Friday(tomorrow) and hopefully delivered next week. I will check also.
fjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

fjo- did you order one from the Houston RV show? Or a dealer in La.?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
fjo
Weekend Camper

Ordered it from a dealer near my home. I got a pretty reasonable deal. Better than RV wholesalers.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Seems like they had a run on the 335ss this week at the factory. Hopefully we'll get ours next week also.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
fjo
Weekend Camper

Just found out that ours has arrived and being looked over. Should get it either tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hope you got your new trailer. We're still waiting on the "call"-LOL

Would you let me know what brand of tires came on yours? Just curious.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
fjo
Weekend Camper

Yes, we got it and it is really nice. Haven't been camping in it yet but looking forward to it. The tires are Trail Express-Power Touring". Never heard of them but I hope they hold up.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

fjo - does the bottom panel on the kitchen entertainment system have bracing forward of the axles? When driving mine home I noticed the front wheel well trim vibrating on that side. A screw had loosened and I noticed the front half of that panel had a lot of freedom of motion. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a brace there or not.

My High Pointe microwave died - outlet is good but the unit doesn't come on any more. I called Crossroads, they referred me to Collins Ind., spoke with the customer service and they said they would get one right out, called them again last week and they said they were due in Friday and they would send one if they came in on time. I have to check tomorrow to see if it shipped - Thu. is my last day here and it will be a while before I'm settled anywhere for any length of time.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Thanks fjo for the info. I couldn't find anything about them either. I guess as long as they are round and balanced, they'll work.

It's kind of amazing with the vast numbers of RV's i see on the road, Why can't a trust worthy american company start building quality trailer tires.

I hope you enjoy your new trailer. Hopefully we'll get ours next week.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Mine has the same tires, they seem to be doing ok, I've put 1K mi. on them in the last few days and they still look new. I had a little card from the tire vendor in my paperwork package that offered free road service if I went on their web site and registered. I did and am now entitled to one free roadside tire change using my spare if I call them. I'm not sure I would be willing to wait on the side of the road for that...

My sale rep, Tony, pointed out to me that there was no clip to hold up the utility side pass through door. That wasn't a deal breaker, but the more you set up and tear down, the greater importance it has. I'm going to have to come up with something - get tiresome working with the hatch cover resting on my back. Wish I'd thrown a couple of my woodworking clamps in before hitting the road, I could've clamped to the BR slide and let it rest there.

I handles well going down the road. I've had a couple of moments where I was fearing I had put myself in a bad position - last one at a small town gas station - but the 335 is still short enough to manouever pretty well.

The intellijacks are OK, but only work if you are always at a level location. No problems at the last two places I set up, but the spot I'm in right now is not level in any direction and it was difficult to get close - still slightly high on the front right, low at the left rear. I could have done better on the front to back by extending the front stabilizers less so that I could drop the nose more, but side to side level was very difficult - I could get it. I wish the legs were independently extendable. Any advice from the experienced camper will appreciated!

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCan
Â*I wish the legs were independently extendable. Â*Any advice from the experienced camper will appreciated!

The greatest mismatch that can exist between the two legs is the hole spacing, so carry a few plywood spacers, 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch and maybe 1/4 inch if you really want super level. But over 20+ yrs, I have never been unhappy just using the closest hole spacing.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
hhh
Seasonal Camper

You could give one of these a try. http://www.winfieldrvproducts.com/LANDING_LEG_FOOT.html

hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I used the yellow plastic things they're selling at the rv stores - which would have worked ok except that they are so close to the same size as the hole spacing. The landing leg foot looks like it would work well, but I think some wood pieces are probably more cost effective. I a variety of plywood pieces of different thickness in my garage not long ago, I should have thought ahead. I belonged to a resort at Canyon Lake, TX, and that's where we camped for several years - this is my first road trip. After spending a few nights on the road at different places, my wife and I have determined that we were spoiled and didn't realize how well planned and maintained it was there!