Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

I swear shxx daxx fxxx . When I ever get a new truck I should just take a hammer to it first thing. Got my Chevrolet 2011 2500HD new September of Last year. On my first trip with the Cruiser I somehow managed to skuff the rear corner of the cab on the drivers side going down a steep hill twisty turn into the campground. Ok, a little touch up paint and only myself and my wife new. So, I had the bed sprayed with Line-X. First trip out after that and got the corner of the cruiser touching the drivers side rear bed rail; scuffing the new spray on. Sooooo, a little black silicone to fill in the scuff and good as new. Now the last trip of this year I had returned from two weeks at the OBX of N.C. Backing in the driveway at the house after eight hours of driving... Now I have been backing in this driveway since 2001. Ok, I admit I knew I was about 1 inch away from the railroad ties that line my driveway; watching in the mirror I was saying to myself "Getting a little close there, but still ok". Driveway gives away on the side letting my cruiser slide left into the ditch. Now I'm within 1/2 inch from hitting the 6x6 post at the entrance to the driveway. Now I live on a country road where hardly noone ever drives on. Yea, right you guessed it. Three cars come driving up the road as my truck and unit are crossways blocking the road. What do they do. No, they don't turn around and go the other way. They all get out and just stand there and watch. I couldn't turn right or left due to the post so, I had to put it in 4x4 and go straight across the road down over the other side a little and keep manuvering the truck until I finally got it out. My wife hasn't heard me curse that much since we got married 15 years ago. So, doing all this manuverng across the road Ismashed the rear corner bed rail into the cruiser making a 6 inch long by 1 inch deep dent. Did, I stop to think about using the reese quick slide nooooooooo, I was too upset given the stupid onlookers a show. This somehow lead to a one week case of verdigo or mayby just a coincidence, but it kicked in as soon as I got out of the truck.Things were spinning so much I couldn’t walk straight and had to make a trip to see my doctor. Oh, the Cruiser was fine, not even a scratch anywhere. Just thought I would share my stupidity. Can I laugh about it now. Hxxx no my truck is still damaged not to mention my pride. Maybe a little

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. That is a sign of a very bad day. Good Luck!

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hi Ted. Wow that is a bad day. Itobviouslystressed you out, hope the Doc helped you out with good info. The first day i picked up our Cruiser we returned home to anaudiencein our neighborhood. My first 5er and abrandnew truck. I have a steep and narrow back in driveway about 120 feet uphill. 11/2 hours later after much bad advice and "help" I made it in. I was so stressed I also felt sick. I vowed never again. I do not tolerate anaudience I advise them to leave and only Laura gives me direction guidance. Sorry you had that experience> Life is too short let them wait or advise them to go around. Good luck.
Go Well Happy trails
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Damaged my box a little when I went from a 2005 to a 2011 Chevy - I had to raise the hitch up a position to give more bed clearance. Also on my last fifth wheel I had to angle the back of the pin box to give more clearance for a tight backing turn.

Angled back of pin box - it was square in the back and the point hit the box of the truck. I filled the damaged spot with RTV - painted with tough up paint and covered the rails with Bushwacker rail covers.

Our present fifth wheel has the end of the pin box angled so i did not have to modify it.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote