Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #21
New Camper

Thanks russb and dagst1. I only have 30 amp service so the dual leg is not an issue. My bath and outdoor kitchen, and even the one other outside outlet, only have outlets with a sticker on them that says "GFCI Protected". They have no built-in breaker and I can't locate an upstream GFCI outlet xcpt the one I already tested. And I not only tested with my VOM, I also removed and wire nutted the wires to essentially remove it from the circuit. No joy doing that either. That one GFCI works fine when I plug into it but I have no idea what is downstream from it. The "Load" wires have power but where do they go and where is there another GFCI? A wiring diagram sure would be nice but I know what the chances of finding one are - NIL.

I've had my head inside all the cabinets, pulled the microwave, removed parts of the framing around the fridge, and the ceiling A/C unit cover. I used a mirror to try to see where I couldn't get my head in.

I've pulled the power panel cover and checked all the breakers with a VOM and they are all indicating full 120v. I have a Main 30, a 20 for the A/C and four 15s. One of the 15s is for the MW and one is for the one GFCI that I've located. I'm having trouble identifying two of the 15s because they don't seem to affect anything when I test trip them. I'm assuming at least one of them is on whatever circuit I'm having trouble with but at this point that's just a guess. I'm really at a loss but trying NOT to start tearing into walls and dismantling too much stuff, YET.

This rig is "new" to me. Only had it a little over a month. I have it in my shop going through everything before we hit the road. Sure glad I'm doing that! This would be inconvenient and frustrating out on the road. Everything worked Sunday, not Monday.
jckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

It's possible that someone replaced a GFCI outlet with a standard outlet. I would pull all of the outlets to check connections. There is a junction box under the slideout that has been known to to get water in it and cause problems. It still appears to be a GFCI issue. Hope you have a successful treasure hunt.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #23
New Camper

Well, I feel like an idiot. Found my "hidden" GFCI outlet that popped and killed all my rear outlets a few weeks ago. Took me nearly 2 weeks to fix this.

The GFCI I was looking for was, in fact, hidden. Hidden behind a cardboard box that I (yes, me) had placed in front of it for storage. I completely forgot it was there! Spouse moved the box yesterday as we were rearranging some stuff and my jaw dropped to the floor! THERE WAS THE MISSING GFCI WITH A BRIGHT RED LIGHT ON IT!

In my search for my problem over the last couple weeks I had dropped two different sections of the underbelly, pulled EVERY dead outlet, continuity traced every romex wire I could find, connecting each outlet to another and marking the continuity traces I found with marker ON THE ROMEX specifying where each wire went and terminated. Used a good stud finder with AC detection and found most of the routes through the walls and ceiling, also used an NCV tester on virtually every wire I found.

While feeling like an idiot, because when I reconnected all my outlets yesterday and reset the "hidden" GFCI everything came back to life, I also now have a pretty detailed map of the 110v wiring of my ST290QB. And, fortunately, my wife moved that box BEFORE I started cutting wires, drilling & cutting into walls, etc. to rewire.

Yup, I owe her BIG for this one!

Thanks, everyone, for your help as well, though my unit is not a Cruiser. I have 2 GFCI outlets: one in the kitchen and one in the rear "bunkhouse" of my ST290QB. The bunkhouse one was the culprit hiding behind MY cardboard box!

Thanks again!
2017 Sunset Trail 290QB
jckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #24
Site Team

The main thing is you found what was wrong. Thanks for posting back.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:43 AM   #25
Site Team

Thanks for posting back.
Takes a good man to step up to the plate and admit HE messed up.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #26
Site Team

Glad you found the culprit.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

I'm having this exact same problem in my 2016 RFZ31BH, 35 foot bunkhouse. I can't find but one GFCI outlet, in the kitchen above the sink. Where exactly in the bunkhouse did you find the 2nd one? Not sure where the "cardboard box" is located in mine . I've spent several hours several times looking for that 2nd GFCI & I can't believe a 35 foot 5th wheel would only have 1 GFCI outlet. BTW, I'm 30 amp but, based on advice, use the adapter to hook up to 50 amp. I've tripped all the breakers in my box & fuses check out too. I'm at a loss but it really feels like a GFCI tripped somewhere. Seems pretty simple but still... Oh, we've been in same seasonal spot 4 years & it doesn't move but was working fine. I think a storm did roll through & hasn't worked right since. Outlets, refrig's out but A/C, slides work fine.

Sorry for wordy post but looking for any help! Called the RV tech 2 weeks & hasn't shown up yet. Thanks for ANY help!
Joepanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Look under your counter, that is one place they put them. Other place may be bathroom.
Under your slide is a junction box that may fill with water. Unplug your rv from pedestal and check it out for water infiltration.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #29
Site Team

What Mark said, but just to add to it. Look for a GFCI any place that they have water to.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! Under which counter are you referring to? (I don't have an island) I've checked the bathroom, looked under kitchen sink. Removed outside galley refrig, opened access panel to main fridge, opened access panel under main (indoor) fridge. I've found nothing. I've also not seen a junction box under either slideout. However the underside is completely sealed & I;m really hesitant to open it up. As I'm 90 minutes away I don't have ready access. I did see something on here about 50 amp service breakers fouling. Maybe I should remove the adapter & go straight 30 amp?? But definitely going to look under counter & if need be, dig deeper into the underside of the slide out for a junction box.

Odd though, bought it brand new & this has never been an issue. Thanks for ideas, will try those out! (making a list )
Old 09-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #31
Site Team

You shouldn't have to open up the membrane on the bottom. If they have a junction box it more that likely is screwed to the outside of the frame.
I would think Mark meant the kitchen counter.
If you have any outlets in the BR double check it.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Ok, makes sense. I didn't see a junction box under slides. Bathroom, like most other outlets, have a sticker that says "GFCI" protected but no GFCI with resets. Did not find bathroom outlet other than the one. I will definitely be tearing apart the kitchen sink area to search for that other GFCI next time I can get there!

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #33
Full Time Camper

Check for outlets behind any sofa, also the outlet that the microwave is plugged into. i'm sure there is a hidden Gfci outlet somewhere. My unit has two, kitchen wall and bathroom wall.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:01 AM   #34
Weekend Camper

Thanks Russb!!