Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

No power to SOME outlets

Had a good thunderstorm last night. TV went out during storm. Afterwards I found the TVs, router and fire stick inoperative. Microwave, island, bathroom outlets all ok. I lost power to the, but the fireplace is ok. Outlets at kitchen no go, but microwave ok. No power to outlets at back of camper and LR slide. No breakers tripped or fuses blown.
I know at times there is a GFCI at the start of a circuit that can kill a line but can’t find it. Any help appreciated..
2008 F350 Super Duty, 6.4l diesel, 8' bed
CC, LWB, SRW...........green😁
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

First, turn OFF all breakers and then turn them back on. Sometimes a tripped breaker LOOKS like it is on but it is actually tripped. It sounds like a tripped GFI but you need to locate it. Check behind the fridge (from outside), side of island etc.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check under slide for a junction box, may have water inside or wire nuts unhooked.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Well, I checked the breakers, all working normally. Checked power in/out of GFCI outlets, ok. Looked underneath slides, no junction boxes, but can see where the wires come from underneath the main chassis. Guess I, gonna drop the cover and see what’s up😐
Old 07-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthered View Post
Well, I checked the breakers, all working normally. Checked power in/out of GFCI outlets, ok. Looked underneath slides, no junction boxes, but can see where the wires come from underneath the main chassis. Guess I, gonna drop the cover and see what’s up😐
I had the same sort of issue at a State Park. I could find nothing wrong with the fuses, gfi's and wires. I checked everything by using my generator when I got home and all the outlets worked proving that it was the shore power which had the problem on a section of their 50 amp supply. I contacted the State Park and they confirmed that it was their power supply to my site which was the problem.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I had the same sort of issue at a State Park. I could find nothing wrong with the fuses, gfi's and wires. I checked everything by using my generator when I got home and all the outlets worked proving that it was the shore power which had the problem on a section of their 50 amp supply. I contacted the State Park and they confirmed that it was their power supply to my site which was the problem.

Good point! Thanks for posting that.
So many times we think it just has to be something in our rig that went to heck. I some times forget that myself, and start wondering what could be wrong. The parks are notorious for having electrical problems.

I sure hope Ericthered hasn't started tearing into things yet before checking a little further. Might save himself some work.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Well I tried a new adapter, no joy. I connected the trailer to the camper, same results. Had an experienced electrician come down for a look, he checked power from stand, through power cord, to and from fuse box and outlets, all ok. We pulled a number of the inop outlets to check for faults and he wasn’t happy with those cheesy outlets, so he suggested replacing those 5 in the living/kitchen area to start.Well, I started to replace them and realized I’d gotten the wrong boxes. I pulled the other outlets, but no power anywhere.
Then I got a call from an electrical engineer at the campground, and he thought a junction box in the underside of the camper was at fault. There are NO junction boxes, just flat plastic connectors. I’ve been trying to trace those wires down, and they enter plastic “tubes” and go into the area directly under the rear end of the camper. I can’t help but think this the trouble spot, but don’t know how to access it. Any ideas? Sorry this was such a wordy post.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Have you located all of the GFCI outlets, there should be at least two on 30amp service. I don't know how many are on a unit with 50amp service.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I’ve found two, the bathroom and the island. I’ve looked all over and don’t see any others. It does seem strange to me that there’d be 9 outlets on one circuit ��
Old 07-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthered View Post
I’ve found two, the bathroom and the island. I’ve looked all over and don’t see any others. It does seem strange to me that there’d be 9 outlets on one circuit ��
Can do up to 13 on one breaker here but on a gfci ,not sure.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
Site Team

I guess i'am confused you say a experienced electrician checked from the stand all the way thru the outlets and everything was "ok" but you still have outlets that do not work? He suggested replacing the "cheesy" outlets but was the line live or dead?

You will have to pull down the coroplast covering to access the junction box - it should be screwed on the sides or cut a access flap and when done use gorilla tape to seal it back up. There should be a junction box that will have several connections in it. Check all of them for loose wire nuts and or corrosion. This junction box may contain several different circuits.
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Dagst1: the electrician checked power from the outside pole through to the breaker box, normal. He checked power into and from the 2 GFCI outlets, ok. The dead circuits have no power at all.I’ve been opening the coroplast all afternoon looking for junction boxes but found none. The closest I’ve come so far is 4 Rome’s wires going into the space between the back of the FW tank and the back of the trailer, but I can’t find a reasonable way to get into that space.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

That should read “4 Romex “ wires.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Start under the slide and follow the flexible wire back to the frame then on the other side of the frame drop the coroplast and follow it till you see a junction box. One more thought if you have 50 amp be sure to check both sides of the 50 amp double breaker for power. Sense this happened during a thunder storm it may have blown one leg of the breaker. After that i would recommend a rv repair shop or an electrician familiar with rv's.

Good luck!

Just thought of this - check inside for a solid outlet cover - could be behind the couch or in a cabinet . Sometimes they use them as a junction box.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Dagst1: my dang bottom cover now looks like Swiss cheese, but I followed a thick cable to the back of the camper, over the top of the FW tank. There are 4 wires that come back out, 1;on right, 3 on left, all from behind FW tank. Only 2 of them are live. I’m certain there’s a junction box back there, but it looks like I’d have to remove the tank to access the box. Could they really have made it that way? SMH.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Problem solved! I hate to say this, but I found a third GFCI behind the couch that was tripped. Talk about feeling stupid!
Thank you to everyone who took the time to help. It was very much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Glad you found the cause. And yes they do build them like that. I Have been on a factory tour at crossroads and a Forest river plant and they are assembled in the same way. Go on you tube and search for RV factory tours.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #18
New Camper

Most outlets not working

Hello All,

I know this is an older thread but my issue is nearly the same. Yesterday I connected my genny to my 2017 ST290QB. Then went inside to start A/C. On gen pwr I usually turn fan on first for a minute or so before turning on the A/C. Well, fan came on ok but when I set thermostat to "Cool" the A/C came on and I heard a SNAP sound as well. From that point on the A/C and a few outlets kept working. All my outlets to the rear of the rv are dead. Front BR and GFCI over kitchen sink work. No others.

I chk'd & reset the GFCI over the kitchen sink, chk'd input and output with a VOM, and all's as it shd be: 120 in, 120 out to load. I reset it again anyway to no avail. The SNAP I heard sounded like it came from around the fridge or ceiling. It may have been the kitchen one that I already reset but I'm not sure. Is there another GFCI hidden around there somewhere. Any one know where the one mounted to the underside of the kitchen overhead cabinet goes from there? I've looked in every nook & cranny. Even removed MW but its on its own circuit.

I plugged the fridge into a separate shop 120 outlet and it functions automatically between gas & elec as it shd. So I know the fridge is ok, except it needs to run on gas if I want to run it. Its regular outlet in the RV is one of the dead ones.

Bath outlet, rear bunk house outlets, dining area outlet, and ALL exterior outlets, including outside kitchen, are dead. I reset ALL circuit breakers including Main. No good.

I've reconnected to shore pwr but still have the issue. Spent all day trying to find another GFCI.

Thanks!

2017 ST290QB
jckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

I have a gfci in kitchen area and one in the bathroom.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:29 AM   #20
Site Team

Usually GFCI's are in "wet" locations - kitchen, bathroom, outside kitchen. Check for another GFCI outlet in these locations. Sounds like one may have tripped.
One other thing to check - if you have 50 amp service then check your breakers as 1/2 of the 50 amp may have tripped. Turn them off then back on. Sometimes they look fine but have actually tripped.