Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Not Happy With Construction!!!!!!

I'm becoming very unhappy with the construction of my camper. Since I bought this camper I have found more and more things that are unsatisfactory. A couple things I have to bring back to the dealer and I will be staying in a hotel till they are finished. First I found that the carpet in one of my slides was wet started looking and searching to find that the floor in the outside corner was about 1/8" below the outside fiberglass so when it rained it was wicking back on the board and soaking the cushion and carpet. Then I found that the seals around 90% of the windows were never done properly. Gaps in the sealant on the tops of the windows. The first night I had the camper when I took a shower I found water in the bedroom from the track for the shower doors had no sealant in the corners or where the screws are. Molding poping off the walls in some places. I have had this camper only 3 months. This is not a good experience so far..
2021 Cruiser 3601GK
Watch out now coonass on the road!!!!
Old 06-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I hear you!

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 06-08-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Been there done that too. Good luck!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

When I brought my new 2022 253RB it took me 3 days to bring it up to "my standards". I'm an aircraft mechanic so my standards are high. No matter what brand of RV they are poorly built. A friend had his new Class A $200k Motorcoach in the repair shop for a month because the floors were warped. The whole interior had to be removed to fix the floors.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quality of construction was the prime reason I went with a Grand Design for my new trailer. The Crossroads I had was a good first trailer, but the Grand Design materials and build is so much better.

Good luck getting the dealer to make it right. A 3 month old anything should not have those kind of issues.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
Old 06-14-2022, 06:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I was going to stay with the Cardinal but this is the one my late wife wanted so I got it for her. Since its just me and the two dogs I didnt need a big camper but this is the one my late wife and found and wanted so I got it I have already talked to the dealership they are going to make it right when I go offshore to work next time.
2021 Cruiser 3601GK
Old 06-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Keep at them, if they are a decent dealer they should make it right for you. Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Go to any Rv forum. You will see the same poor constructions post all over them. No one builds a perfect rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Old 06-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Go to any Rv forum. You will see the same poor constructions post all over them. No one builds a perfect rv.
No universal lemon law for RV's no quality for RV owners...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
Old 06-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Posts like this is why we will be keeping our 2010 30SKP!

Other than the upgrades to tires and greaseable suspension, we have had almost no issues with this 5th wheel since new. I added a Fantastic Vent to the bedroom and just this past week did have to replace the front seal on the bedroom slide.

I am a Happy Camper!

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
Old 06-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Bipe Flier
I am an SOB as of Hershey RV show last Sept...I have been able to use my new camper once since then...After use brought it to shop for many warranty repairs still waiting to get it back so we can use it to identify any other warranty issues...Came with one year warranty which expires in Oct. 2022...I rolled the dice and bought from a young independent company thinking I would get a higher quality camper like the people that bought Grand Design after they first came to market unfortunately the dice came up snake eyes...Their customer service is not impressive either... I am not a happy camper...Sorry if I got your shoulder wet...

In God We Trust
Old 06-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Bipe Flier
I am an SOB as of Hershey RV show last Sept...I have been able to use my new camper once since then...After use brought it to shop for many warranty repairs still waiting to get it back so we can use it to identify any other warranty issues...Came with one year warranty which expires in Oct. 2022...I rolled the dice and bought from a young independent company thinking I would get a higher quality camper like the people that bought Grand Design after they first came to market unfortunately the dice came up snake eyes...Their customer service is not impressive either... I am not a happy camper...Sorry if I got your shoulder wet...
Seems the RV industry has reverted back to the 1980's construction issues. Even the "good" brands have issues due to components used. Hopefully they will get you fixed up and you will have many years of trouble free camping.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
Old 06-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Bipe Flier
Thanks yes the issues are being attended to now...It's just frustrating that when you pay the amount of money that we do for these campers to have one or two small issues is no big deal, but when there are many more than just a couple is just not right...

Flier
Thanks for your service I was there 1969-1970 Marble Mountain

In God We Trust
Old 07-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Construction Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
When I brought my new 2022 253RB it took me 3 days to bring it up to "my standards". I'm an aircraft mechanic so my standards are high. No matter what brand of RV they are poorly built. A friend had his new Class A $200k Motorcoach in the repair shop for a month because the floors were warped. The whole interior had to be removed to fix the floors.
Just got back from my 2nd trip. First night I found water on the bathroom floor, which was a water leak from the water supply hose connection to the toilet. I put Teflon tape on the connection threads and retightened the connection. Second night I again found water on the bathroom floor. This time the leak was from the kitchen sink faucet as well as the outdoor kitchen faucet. Again, I applied Teflon tape and retightened the connections. Fourth night I had to use the heater. Heater started making an unusual metal-to-metal rattling sound. I'll be taking to the dealer for this issue. My wife found the top drawer in the 3-drawer stack below the TV would not close all the way easily. Upon inspection I found a large bunch of wires were hitting the back of the drawer. When I got home, I remove all the drawers only to find the wires were not tied together, secured to anything or in a wire loom to protect them. I installed wire loom around the wires down into the floor as far as I could and up behind the Control Panel below the TV. Upon further inspection I found the framing to support the drawers was made out of too small of wood so the frame holding the drawer slides would be moving side-to-side when traveling down the road. I installed wood blocks to which I anchored the drawer slides as well as the wire loom. Framing is solid now, and wires are secured out of the way of the drawer and chaffing! Based upon the 3 water leaks I decided to put Teflon tape on the bathroom faucet water connections. Like another OP said, my shower leaked outside the glass door panel mount bottom frame. I caulked and caulked! Hopefully problem solved! When I was running the wire loom behind the Control Panel I remove it. Behind the panel I found a lot of sawdust, AND two pieces of the wood paneling that had been cut out for the holes into which to run the wiring. I guess CrossRoads doesn't have a vacuum cleaner and uses the area behind the Control Panel as a garbage can! Upon further inspection behind and inside cabinets and access panels I found water lines not secured to anything. Thus a high probably of chaffing over time. I installed water line tubular insulation on all water lines and properly secured them. When the weather is better (over 100 daily where I live), and I have more energy, I'm going to remove the belly cover so I can be more disappointed in what I see!
Old 07-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

dlakeman
I had 8 drawers out of 14 that did not open and close correctly...My entry door needs to be replaced...toilet leaks I think it is inside the pedestal...one corner of the bed scrapes the floor in the bedroom which wore a groove in the floor...I found a 2 foot gash in the floor under the kitchen table...The shower pan had no support in the middle of the pan (fiberglass pan) exactly where you would stand when you showered the whole shower has to come out...I have only taken the camper out on one trip for 8 days...

I refuse to do the work that should have been done at the factory...I had it at the dealer from which I bought it, they had it 3 months and did noting...Now it is at a private facility...

They push these campers out the door of the factory so fast that if one of the workers has a problem the remedy is the owner will take care of it keep it moving...

In God We Trust
Old 07-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Not Happy With Construction

The camper is a the dealer they will be fixing the slide and the other things I have found since I purchased the camper in Feb. It should be ready by the time I get back from work offshore. Thank the lord I am ready to hit the road.
2021 Cruiser 3601GK
Old 07-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

We have a 2018 sunset trail 262BH and we been plagued with issues. They caulked a gutter in the rear corner causing water to drop down the walls and destroy the kitchen in the rear corner... thankfully I'm handy and fixed that. Elec board on the water heated fried.. (get a dinosaur board if yours ever dies). Whomever wired the water heater element didn't take care when routing the wires and the ground line fused to the hot lead.. that was fun. The water inlet connection was only hand tight as well as the toilet connection.. both started spraying water everywhere. Random trim falling down.. missing trim in one corner.
Door rubber seal was not installed correctly so had some water leak through the front door. Those crappy friction hinges have caused more issues than anything else... ended up removing them for a normal hinge.

Yeah.. quality control sucks on these things
Old 09-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Update!!!! I got the camper back from the dealer. They replaced the wall board, insulation, the face board that was swollen, the floor board, pad, and carpet. they did a real good job at the dealership. They installed the washer/dryer combo; this was a great purchase for me. Its big enough to do my laundry about every 3 days. takes a little longer then the laundry mat but hey I have plenty of time. I cant complain it only took them about 3 days ounce everything came in. The facial board took the longest to come in 2 weeks but they knocked it out quick. Made a couple small trips since I got the camper in Feb. The end of the month is going to be the first real trip the others were less than 100 mile this one will be quit a bit more. Heading to Auburn for a couple weeks for the LSU vs Auburn game on the 1st then slowly head to Key West for a couple months. Then slowly head somewhere else not sure where yet.
2021 Cruiser 3601GK
Old 09-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #19
Site Team

Sounds like you have a dealer that will work with and for you. Hopefully everything has been taken care of and you are good to go.
There has been a lot of extra posts on your thread here, but I sure thank you for the update.
Good luck and let us know how things go as you travel around.
Maybe you will be able to start a new thread--title, Happy with construction.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Glad they did you right, sounds like a good dealer to keep using and working with!
Closed Thread