Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
New Camper

Let me start by saying I have been very happy with my 32 BL.....Crossroads has been very responsive to my minimal needs up until this point.

My unit was constructed in May of 2007 with me taking delivery through RV wholesalers in early June 2007.

My A/c has been getting worse for not cooling over the past couple of years, no problem since my family owns a HVAC company. My dad and I were adding a bit of freon to it and trying to locate the leak, as I looked over toward the antenna area I noticed an area of the roof higher than the other.

I looked at it closer and the actual roof structural material that makes the radius from the side wall has came loose. Looked closer and found a total of 3 areas where it is loose. The rubber membrane is still intact, but you can push the radius material down very easily and feel what appears to be nails or screw heads that are sticking out.

I felt a little sick at my stomach over finding this structual failure. I called the factory and spoke with Tara who is my contact for my state. She asked about the Annual Visual roof inspection, I told her that is the first I have heard of it. She said that they would not be able to honor any warranty. I became a little hot to say the least and she agreed to send it up the chain to see what happens. Now I get an email that says they will pay 6 hours labor as goodwill to repair the problem.

I understand that I did not have the roof inspected annually by a company, however I have been up on the roof at least once a year cleaning it and checking for damage. I take very good care of this unit and am very upset that the company has left me hanging on this failure.

To transport to a dealer will entail a 70 mile trek. The rubber is still intact, however if it is pulled any distance the nails or screws will probably puncture the roof membrane which will of course place more cost on me.

I have no leaks and no failure of anyother type. The only thing that could cause the radius to turn loose was a hidden structual failure inside the wall, or not enough fasters or improper fastening techniques during construction.

I have been extemly pleased with the unit up until this event. I understand that issues happen from time to time, I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if they just fixed it!!!!!!

I have spoken highly of the crossroads and the cruiser product to other campers whom inquire about the product, That has came to a grinding halt due to thier failure to perform warranty work due to the roof not being inspected by one of thier dealers on an annual basis.

Due to my work schedule in 2008 the unit has not been used very much, The unit has been to panama City Beach one time for a week and on 4 or 5 overnight trips local.....its practically brand new.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem with thier units?

Has anyone ever attempted a repair such as this themselves? The radius material appears to be constructed from luan type material as it feels through the membrane.It should be a fairly simple repair once you get the roof membrane off and access the radius themselves.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to vent. I hope that there is someone at crossroads that I can speak to in an attempt to correct this problem and put a stop to the negative publicity.

I have photos on my blackberry for anyone that would like to see them as well.

steverfd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I am sorry to hear about your roof issues. I has some myself but it was only the rubber and not the wood structure. The roof inspections started in 06 or 07 after I got mine and folks here thought it was just a way for a dealer to get a hundred bucks or so as some stated the dealer did not have an inspection guide to go by. However, later I was on my way to Arizona and stopped to get the AC worked on (it was less than 3 years old and should have been replaced under warranty but they put a valve on and charged the system. That never lasted long and voided the warranty I found out later) But to get back to my roof anyway a bubble had gotten bigger after I last cleaned the roof and did my inspection and made a big hole that needed to be fixed. Well CR did not come up to the plate from me in this repair so it was money out of my pocket. I am sorry to say since the inspection requirement is in play I think you will have to bite the bullet. I hope others are watching as this could happen to them in the future.

I hope some how CR will solve your problem and fix your unit

Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the well wishes........ I hope for the same.....I was never told of the requirement that I remember. Since I'm from Alabama and bought it in Ohio I guess they forgot to let me know that little tidbit of information.
steverfd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

There has been much discussion on the inspection requirement. Actually these are the first issues I have heard of on this forum that indicate Crossroads is actually adhering to the inspection requirement. My dealer wasn't even aware of it when I asked him to perform one. It is actually written in the Owners Manual in the back. There is also an inspection requirement for the fridge as well. Please keep us all posted on the repairs.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I went through this mess with my Zinger last year. Crossroads replaced my plywood and added a new layer to make it a stronger roof. The dealer screwed and glued the plywood instead of the airnails. I now have a roof I canwalk on . I have heard of the yearly inspections but crossroads must of just started to inforce this. How would crossroads know you wern't back to your dealer and why would you go back if you don't hav e a problem? If Crossroads is going to inforce this rule than it has to be free inspections and not a money grab for the dealer.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I inspect my roof myself and seal as necessary twice a year. If Crossroads wants to push the issue on this I say let them; I will let my shopping decide how much I believe in their product in the future. I can say this, if the Crossroadswarrantyrelies on an undertrained kid to climb my roof andstate everythings "good" then it isn't looking good for a second purchase.

After 14 years in the aerospace buiness and having my FAA Repairman Cert's I can say most employee's atRV dealerships are not giving the same care to my roof or camper as I do. Most of the "technicians" are trained on-the-job with no actual formal training or education.

My comments on untrained dealership employeeswas evident last fall when my dealership replaced a defective saftey window. The window was removed and the replacement installed. I was going to do it myself but becuase it was warranty I allowed the dealership to do it (keep in mind this is an "award" winning dealership...) Long story short they used a latex based caulking which peeled off as I drove down the road, the window frame was oozing butyl tape, too. I removed the whole damn thing and found what I would at best call a half-assed job; To be honest, I was disgusted. I discovered the gel coat was also damaged as they "missed" a few times with the razor while removing the other window. I cleaned up the window and re-did it myself with OEM sealant, the job looks clean and it sealed perfectly. The damage to the gel coat will need to be repaired by a body shop should I ddecide to persue the issue further...

I also had a problem with my shower door rubbing the bottom frame. The dealership removed all the sealant around the enclosure, re-did it and left used sealant pieces all over the floors. The door still rubs and to be honest I nearly called Crossroads to make sure they weren't charged for the labor becuase I can't figure out exactly what the hell they did other then making a mess. I still have the issue so if anyone has a fix let me know, becuase it doesn't appear that the door is adjustable in any fashion.

I could go on about "issues" I've had with the unit and the "repairs" performed by the dealership and even Crossroads themselves. The unit was worked on at the factory and some of the repairs were ok, and some were not. When the factory fixed gel cracks in the front cap underside it took me a day of elbow grease and paint thinner to remove the overspray from the underside near the pin box. The factory sound system was replaced and they wired the speakers wrong (again). The leaking hatch door was fixed right and they did a nice job on my outside shower install and inside stair repair (squeaked loudly when new). The double axle replacement went well but I still have a distaste for Lippert products.

So far my ownership has been mixed on this unit and while Crossroads is a good company the whole issue with requesting an annual roof inspection by a dealership would be enough to push me to some other brand. Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I suggest you call Randy Mischler at the Crossroads factory repair center. I had a problem last summer with my '07 Cruiser roof. A trusse had collapsed about 1". I called Randy and sent photos and he made an appointment for me at the repair center. They peeled back the roof and repaired the trusse. No cost, no questions. The subject of the annual inspection never came up, although I had been having it done. By the way, the radius transition is aluminum. They had to replace a section of mine when they peeled the roof back. Good luck. If anyone can get it handled it will be Randy.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I agree with calling Randy he should be able to help you. I still have to have faith in Crossroads.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

is there any way of checking the roof truses from inside your trailer. can the ceiling be removed instead of the rubber membrane?

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

An annual roof inspection would not have made a difference, if the aluminum radius material was not properly attached or came loose over time, an inspection can't fix the problem, ultimately the rubber membrane has to be removed to re-attach the aluminum. An annual inspection is good for finding cracked or missing caulk, damage to skylights, vents, etc, even tears or pinholes in the membrane that if left un-repaired can lead to serious inside damage. But since you indicate that the membrane is still intact, then earlier detection would not in any way reduce the labor or material costs to effect a repair.

CR should cover the cost of repair and if anyone can get it done it would be Randy.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
New Camper

Sorry about your roof. I have the same issues with the roof on my 04 28CK. The radius on mine are sheet metal fastened with staples. The staples are backing out making holes about 1 1/2" up from where the roof meets the sidewall, You can see them standing beside the trailer.

I spoke with Randy last year and being we bought this unit used there is no warranty and he was little help.

I have used Dicor sealant on the holes for now but as more staples work there way out i will have to refasten the radius and run a 4" strip of Eternabond tape down the edge of the roof (should look real pretty) Most people think our camper is new. It has been very well taken care of, BUT is a can of worms.

If your unit is under warranty i would hope crossroads will fix your problem.

Please keep us updated.

04 Cruiser 28CK
Ricson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I agree that this is crap. CR should pick up the cost of the inspection if it's to validate their warranty. Why the dealer should make a couple of hundred bucks sending the janitor up on my roof to check for what he's got no clue as to what to look for is unrealistic. Lippert is no better as they state you should take the weight off of your suspension when stored over 90 days. REALISTIC, I think not.I really think that when push comes to shove and you still have warranty you can get it fixed.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Crossroads has a 5 year structural warranty and I would think that would fall under that, I had a decal go bad and the factory replaced it at no charge, under the 5year warranty.....I would give them the opportunity to respond to your problem, send them some pics, and make sure you get answers back in writing, if no luck, see an attorney, lots cheaper to repair a roof than go to court..........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Ok...

Any dealer that uses the excuse that they are/were unaware of the inspection requirement is, at best, either in complete denial of lacking professionalism or a flaming idiot. Every manufacturer that offers a warranty outside of 12 months requires an annual inspection. Every automaker has an inspection or maintenance prerequisite for further validation of their warranty. Most of this is common sense.

CrossRoads requires the dealer to sign off on warranty explanation to the owner and turn it in for registration of the coach. Its all in plain English and a minimal task for the dealer. Regretfully, its a common scenario with "high volume, low service" retailers that are interested in obtaining as many sales outside of their territory as possible.

The issue you're most likely facing is the result of the fasteners and bonding agents used to hold and mend the aluminum roof transition against the roof decking have detached from the decking. Its not ultimately common, but common enough that we have experience repairing it. Its an easy fix, but requires a bit of time and scaffolding to repair it correctly. When we perform annual inspections, we offer a full annual service special. We re-pack the bearings, we re-certify the gas system, we winterize (if requested), we lubricate everything, rotate tires, and clean/condition the roof, etc. CrossRoads will back me on this statement (albeit informal); when we condition a roof, we scrub all of it with a brush and will "push" the transition to see if its loose. This makes it an in-house understanding of a problem and will lead to warranty service if there is a problem. Annual inspections are supposed to be recorded maintenance. If there is a problem, we can nip it before it pesters to be a bigger issue.

CrossRoads reserves the right to deny warranty repairs if there is no verification of maintenance. This is why you need an established relationship with a reputable dealership. We are the eyes and ears of their service department. Its frequently the call of the dealer as to whether the claim is warranty-worthy or not.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Ok...

Any dealer that uses the excuse that they are/were unaware of the inspection requirement is, at best, either in complete denial of lacking professionalism or a flaming idiot. Every manufacturer that offers a warranty outside of 12 months requires an annual inspection. Every automaker has an inspection or maintenance prerequisite for further validation of their warranty. Most of this is common sense.

CrossRoads requires the dealer to sign off on warranty explanation to the owner and turn it in for registration of the coach. Its all in plain English and a minimal task for the dealer. Regretfully, its a common scenario with "high volume, low service" retailers that are interested in obtaining as many sales outside of their territory as possible.

The issue you're most likely facing is the result of the fasteners and bonding agents used to hold and mend the aluminum roof transition against the roof decking have detached from the decking. Its not ultimately common, but common enough that we have experience repairing it. Its an easy fix, but requires a bit of time and scaffolding to repair it correctly. When we perform annual inspections, we offer a full annual service special. We re-pack the bearings, we re-certify the gas system, we winterize (if requested), we lubricate everything, rotate tires, and clean/condition the roof, etc. CrossRoads will back me on this statement (albeit informal); when we condition a roof, we scrub all of it with a brush and will "push" the transition to see if its loose. This makes it an in-house understanding of a problem and will lead to warranty service if there is a problem. Annual inspections are supposed to be recorded maintenance. If there is a problem, we can nip it before it pesters to be a bigger issue.

CrossRoads reserves the right to deny warranty repairs if there is no verification of maintenance. This is why you need an established relationship with a reputable dealership. We are the eyes and ears of their service department. Its frequently the call of the dealer as to whether the claim is warranty-worthy or not.

There are two problems with your statement. One is that the local Cruiser dealers in this area have dropped/swapped lines a handful of times over the years, I can't remember who is even my nearest Crossroads dealership anymore and I think the nearest is two states away now. Second, when my Chevy has a service need I perform the oil/filter/lube and the rotations are done at a quickie stop place. I keep the reciepts. When I inspect my roof of the camper who says I'm not knowledgable about the product or what to look for? After all, Chevy trusts me to change my air filter, lube the chasis and chenage my oil. Perhaps I should create an invoice, staple a reciept for Dicor to it and record My time and send that to them annually. My Jayco specified a twice a year roof inspection but DID NOT specify a dealer had to do it. In fact, in my two years with my jayco I don't recall them ever hassling me about my warranty issues when it was obvious they did it.

Just a note, your comments about volume sales dealerships is, IMHO, baseless. My "local" dealer is a Carriage multi-year award winning dealership family owned and is low volume. They never knewof the Crossroads requirement to perform an annual certified roof inspection for the Crossroads products. In fact, they dropped the Kingston/Cruiser line and moved on last year leaving me dealership-less when it pertains to Crossroads products. The next nearest dealer also dropped Cruiser (a trend?).

While I love my Cruiser I feel transition molding coming through a roof is a no-brainer for warranty. If you discovered it early whats the difference in repair between early and later? You still have to pull up the roof mebrane, re-attach the molding and re-do the roof.... Water damage with no annual roof inspection, ok deny the claim if you like.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
For a claim to be denied, the inspection or lack thereof must be material in the cause of and the condition of the defect. If it is not material the lack of inspection is not a defense in voiding the warranty. I would certainly pursue the issue.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I would continue to pursue it. As the real question pertaining to the issue brought forth is this a roof warranty or a structural warranty? Where do the 2 warranties separate from each other? My assumption is the roof warranty pertains only to the rubber membrane and not the support underneath it.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I have owned 3 crossroads products, all bought from the same dealer, who is now not a crossroads dealer and never once has anything ever been said about a "roof inspection "..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio
I have owned 3 crossroads products, all bought from the same dealer, who is now not a crossroads dealer and never once has anything ever been said about a "roof inspection "..

I'm glad that it isn't just me then. Just out of sheer curiosity what brand did you dealer change out for or did they close?

Mine still carries Carriage (flagship line for them) and switched to Heartland, the Elk Ridge, Caliber, North Country and I think they are going to start with the Greystone.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Crossroads did well by us but that was 2 years ago. Would I buy a new one. I think all campers are built the same and the big differance is in the interiors. The frames are lippert the walls are prebuilt and crossroads cuts out the windows. Crossroads does not even build their own insides. I tried to order a couple of doors , sorry our supplier has switched to the new design. In my opinion a camper may be designed by Thor and then sent out tothe their industry to be assemblied and to and their minor touches.