Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

When we turn on the water heater in either electric or propane mode, the propane alarm goes off after about 30 minutes. Sometimes, opening the outside door to the water heater will keep it from going off. There is NO smell of propane anywhere nor is any propane device operating.

Any suggestions as to the cause would be appreciated. Failing that, how do you turn the thing off. We can not sleep with it going off. I won't be able to call Randy at Crossroads until tomorrow morning.

I'd like to PERMANENTLY turn it off if possible. Please don't tell me it is not a good idea. I think that it is.l I wonder who thought we needed it in the first place.

2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Powerstroke 7.3L Extended Cab Long Bed

Crossroads Cruiser 28RL double slide 5th wheel
Judy&Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

As I recall, ours went off last year and in the book it said to change the battery. I think that is whatI did. Darn I hate getting older and losing my memory!!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Stan. However, it appears to be wired to the 12 coach battery system. I'm about to cut the wire to silence it permanently!!!

2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Powerstroke 7.3L Extended Cab Long Bed

Crossroads Cruiser 28RL double slide 5th wheel
Judy&Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

There should be a fuse in the line that you can remove.

If you can you should check the propane connections for leaks. Use soapy water and look for bubbles.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I had the same problem. I have a 2005 29RK. What the problem ended up being is the valve on the water heater. I dont remember what it is called but I do remember that it was a $150 fix. I have a handheld gas detector, I think it cost $29. Edited by: dja29RK
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Its your camper and you do what you want.You can cut one wire and cap or tape the end.You really should talk to the guys next to us at Bristol last month when the gas leak blew the two front windows out of the motor home when they tried to lite the water htr.They didn't have a detector either.I saw this myself,not a roomer.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote