Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

The vinyl moulding inserts on the sides of our fifth wheel that are just below the rubber roof line have become dirty with mildew stains and we are not able to clean them. We want to replace them with new vinyl inserts. We looked at CW and the they sell 25' rolls. We need each piece to be 29' ft so I am going to call Crossroads and see if I can buy it from them. Has anyone out there replaced these????? I don't want to do something I shouldn't and then have water leaks. It appears to be relatively simple but looks can be deceiving. I would also like to replace the vinyl (maybe its rubber) slide wipers that have also mildewed. I would like to replace with black like most manufacturers use so the dirt won't show so bad. CW said they do not replace them at their shop. Has anyone out there attempted this or is it a job for professionals? I was very surprised that CW wouldn't do this job. Must be harder than it looks.Any advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab
tgckmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Ours look like crap to and when I have to replace it I am going to look atRainCap. The link below is just to show it I am sure you can find it cheaper if you look around.

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...l.cfm/pid/1580
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I agree with you Hunter11, those look nice, may have to order those. Any info or recommendations for the slide vinyl glides????? I may give Randy at CR a call tomorrow.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 09-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
If your talking about the slide seals/wipers your in for a big job. Those things are on a track thats screwed/caulked and then they caulk around the edge of the bulb seal which is part of the wiper. Have you tried automotive silicone followed up by Aerospace 303?

The silicone was the only thing that removed the road grime from my 4K mile trip.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I clean all my seals with Simple Green then treat them with 303 Protectant. AsMike said, if you intend to replace them all with black you are in for an expensive time consuming job. Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Sounds like a job I don't want to get in to. I will try again to clean the slide seals/wipers. I tried Simple Green and Spic-n-Span but they didn't work. Will try the automotive silicone. Don't know why CrossRoads doesn't use black like most other manufacturers. Sure would hide the dirt.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

If Simple Green doesn't work well, then mix up a solution of Oxi-Clean.

Wet it down, apply with a soft brush, let it sit for 15/20 minutes and wash it off.

If it's too bad you may have to go over parts again. I use this same technique on my awnings. Only difference is that Iroll the awning up and let it sit for a while.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
New Camper

Tom,

I too had the same problem with the slideout seals. Some black gunk built up on the seals and nothing I tried would cut it. Simple green, formula 409, bleach, everything I tried wouldn't cut the stuff. Being desperate, I tried mineral spirits. It worked but took a long time. I probably spent about 3 hours rub, rub and rub. Afer the mineral spirits, I wiped everything down with simple green and then with 303. The seals now look like new.

If you use mineral spirits or any petroleum based product, be careful and don't get it on the rubber roof or it may lift the rubber from the plywood. I used a piece of plexiglass between the seal and roof.

I don't know what that black stuff was(it was more than dirt or mold)but it sure was a big job getting it off.

Bill

2005 27RL - Chevy 8.1/ally/4.10

Chicago Heights,Ill

https://wsjablonski.home.comcast.net/truck-6.jpg
bill-karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks Bill. Will try mineral spirits this weekend.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I use Awesome, get it at the dollar store. Spray it on and wipe it off. I use Awesome for just about everything. After done cleaning slide seal spray Silcone on.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

the easiet way to clean all the slide seals is to use WD-40, works great, just spray it on and the dirtwipes right off, I also use it on anyplace there is a sealer, the sealer looks dirty all the time, especailly around all the openings, just spray the WD-40 0n a rag and it will wipe right off, works better than any product I have used, it's keeps mine nice and white....try it....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote