Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I know this subject has probably been hashed & mashed a 1/2 million times, but here goes. I see on the Patriot model they have 16" rims. Does anyone know did CrossRoads make the wheel wells larger & space the axles a little further apart? I'd like to put 16s on Our Rig, but I'm thinking it would be a close fit???

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I guess know one knows. Oh well.

02 F250 PSD

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think I would get a hold of Crossroads and ask them, nothing like the horses mouth

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Probally the best bet would be to call Crossroads and talk to Randy Mischler. If he does not know he will find out and get back to you.
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Where the springs go to the frame do you have 2 set of holes or just one if just one I don't think so. You may have to raise the camper. The reason no one knows for sure is not many have seen the o9 patriot edition.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

we purchased our 30sk at the rv show in denver and i specifically asked the factory rep if i would have any problems putting 16" wheels on the unit and if it would cause any problems with warranty or any thing else and he told me no.I dont remember his name i'll ask the dealership when we pick up the camper this wednesday Rick

mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Where do you get a 5 bolt rim that is a 16"?

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I spoke with Crossroads last week concerning this issue. I was told all of the '09's have a larger wheel well. However the axle spacing for 16" wheels is only on the Patriot model.

I would bet you will see the 16" wheel either option or standard in near future as they are looking at options offered by other manufacturers and trying to stay competitive. I get the idea the Patriot models are a "testing of the water" and represent a pretty good value.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, I guess I'll do some checking on it. Like George said I think I'll call CrossRoads & talk to Randy.

02 F250 PSD

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Icant tell ya if they made the wheel wells bigger but i know they did'nt respace my axles i have about 3"between my wheels!! We had to buy XCHAUKS to secure the camper!

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

On a second call to Crossroads I was told all Cruisers manufactured since 4 months ago have adjustable shackles, allowing the trailer to be raised to accommodate 16" wheels. Someone is just gonna have to try it and let us know.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

We blew out a tire on our trip down south.I know I posted earlier what the factory guy told me at the show in Denver.I definitely want more tire .Talked to the tire shop they recommended a lt 215 85 r 16 and said the diameter was about 1" more to the tire.I e-mailed crossroads to ask them what they thought.This was their response.

Hi Eric

After checking with our engineering department, we have been informed that
there is not enough clearance for a 16" tire on your unit.

If we can be of further assistance feel free to contact our department.

Happy Camping!

Sheila Mast
CrossRoads RV
260-593-2866
260-593-2815 fax
service4@crossroadsrv.com</span>

New Service Hours as of March 30, 2009 -- 7:30 - 4:00 Eastern Daylight

I am disappointed as I really would have liked to go to the bfg commercial. Well now who makes a dependable load range E tire in 15".I may just get 6 tires and have an extra for long trips so all I need to find is someone to install it if We have a tire go.It may be overkill and all we need to do is get rid of the mission tires.We blew the tire in Mississippi late in the afternoon the day before easter we were glad to find anything at the time.Anyway the money saved from not buying new rims will go into steel valve stems, a pressure monitoring system ,and maybe that extra tire.All things I should have anyway

2019 Volante 240RL
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

</span>
Quote:
Anyway the money saved from not buying new rims will go into steel valve stems, a pressure monitoring system ,and maybe that extra tire.All things I should have anyway

I believe if you go the way you saying, you should get new rims anyway. The original rim are only rated for so many PSIs (I can't remember the exact #s) if you inflate the E series to max PSI (My Es on TV max is 80#s) , I think you are asking to blow out the rims. Hey guys correct Me if I'm wrong!
Edited by: riverotter55

02 F250 PSD

Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Well the aluminum rims are not really made to withstand the pressure you are correct went to discount tire and they said I should be ok but!!!they really werent designed for this application.I trust the guy cause he knows he will be getting my business sooner or later.I will take the plunge changing sizes on tires from 15 to 16" .Will let you know how it turns out stayed with the same tire size instead of upsizing like I planned in the e-mail to crossroads just going with a 16" rim with 225 75 tire instead of the 15.I not really concerned about room ,Only 1" all the way around.Will be 1/2" in any one direction with the same width.We are heading to Kansas for memorial day weekend will let you know how they performed

2019 Volante 240RL
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I'd be interested in any opinions about what I can do on my CrossTerrain. I have been destroying tires on a regular basis and so far, haven't received much help. Lippert has replaced two axles at different times. The last change was last week. Well, today, I destroyed another tire. Last time I destroyed a tire it chewed the rim up and sent shrapnel into the other tow tires on that side. I can't keep buying tires every trip. I keep hearing about LT tires being used and am considering the change. I don't have the room to upsize to the 16" tires. I'm looking at the LT or the Maxxis 225/75R15E tires. The stock tires where D range. Luckily, we stopped at camping world earlier and bought a tire pressure monitoring system that saved any damage to the rig today. They do actually work!!!

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Crazy Ted.have you checked your weight?May be the load range E will make the difference. However as river otter pointed out make sure your rims are good for the extra pressure.I am hoping to get more life from the LT tire Plus the warranty is better than a trailer tire.That being said there has been other talk of the maxxis on the forum and if memory serves me they liked it.Which tpms did you get from camping world the hopkins or tst

2019 Volante 240RL
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

The TPMS is a Hopkins. As for weight, I have weighed the unit and we are within the specs for the trailer with plenty of leftover safety margin. Even the Lippert tech said from looking at what I was hauling that weight should not be an issue.

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Well I think the tire experiment was a success.We put the 16" tires on they are tight and we will have to get xchocks when We get to that point.As far as temperature reduction goes,we did not get a baseline on the 15" tires however everything seems to be working well.This has been a rather risky and costly experiment.I measured everything before changing and wish i could have gone to a taller tire than the 225 75 r 16 I put on however We still feel that we are better for the change.We did go with the LT tire instead of the trailer tire account the warranty is better.I dont know how they rate We went with inexpensive because we were not sure it would work and used a KUMHO Mohave At .Foreign manufacture from Viet Nam.When we wear these out we will probably go to the FIRESTONE TRANSFORCE AT that we run on the truck.We have about 3 1/2 inches between the axles. If I jack a specific axle at the tire I get pretty close ,a little more than 1/2" of the bottom of the trailer however we have put some good miles on some reasonably rough roads and have not scraped the new tires.I left the springs right where they came from the factory rather than moving them down a hole.I was worried about the caster on the wheel but as pulpwood 007 pointed out in his conversation the tow in would actually change more.After thinking about it I figured I would do that as a last resort and get it aligned if the new tires had a clearance problem.Our trailer although it is a 2009 was built in April of 2008.I have pretty much covered how it was configured in previous posts.The tolerances are tight but in my case thus far it is working out.Good luck if you try this,It has been a nerve racking spring

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I hate tires now the Kumho had a recall for a 6 month period all the new tires fell into that category.Upgraded to the BFG Commercial TA size LT 225 75 R 16 many posts have talked about it and as luck would have it Discount carried it.Its a better tire and has a good warranty. upgrade only cost about $15.00 a tire from the Kumho after the recall.

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Guy

Any chance you can post photos of the new rims and tires, I have an '08 32BL and was thinking of upgrading to 16 inch tires and rims. Thanks

2008 CF32BL
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

« OUCH! | Plumbing? »