Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
New Camper

Roof Framing

Hi, We have a 2012 Cruiser CF2 5th wheel and want to install a skylight in the kitchen. I contacted Crossroads and they would not send me a diagram of the framing of the roof. Any one have any ideas on how I could get a copy of one. Thanks Mackeralman
Mackeralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Good luck as they are not public information. Have you tried to use a stud finder to locate the rafters?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
New Camper

Ya Thanks, That will be my alternative when the weather gets above freezing
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeralman View Post
Hi, We have a 2012 Cruiser CF2 5th wheel and want to install a skylight in the kitchen. I contacted Crossroads and they would not send me a diagram of the framing of the roof. Any one have any ideas on how I could get a copy of one. Thanks Mackeralman
Some things to consider:
Carefully consider cutting a hole in your roof. Installing a skylight creates another point of possible water intrusion.
A skylight will allow quite a bit of extra summer heat to enter the house, even if you have a shade for it.
Most skylights are made of thin plastic that deteriorates over time. If you install one, I'd suggest using a quality product made of Lexan.
If you are simply looking to brighten things up in the kitchen, consider adding a LED ceiling fixture instead.
My new rig has no skylight, just vents, and that was important to me, since I have had trouble with skylights on more than one rig before.
Happy Camping!
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
New Camper

Hi Gladiator,
Thanks for your thoughts. You are correct re another possible inlet for water. I will likely still move ahead with that project . I will search Lexan and go with it. Thanks again for your input. Regards Mackeralman
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Team

If you want install a sky lite and not a vent.

Most every sky lite I've seen is a double panel. Kind of like a thermo pane window. One of those would definitely have more R-value then the vent. That is the type that's in the bathroom on our camper.

I guess if you want more light in the camper and you're not afraid to cut into the roof, and you feel qualified doing it, I don't see any reason to not do it.
As far as more chances for leaks, if you seal it up properly, and do your maintenance, it shouldn't be an issue.
If you do it let us know, and post up some pictures.

Good luck with your project, and have fun.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Yeah, go for it Mackeralman.

If your ceiling is anything like mine, with a strong thumb you can probably feel where the trusses are hiding. Maybe pull one of your ceiling speakers (assuming you have them) and have a grope around through the hole, you'll get a good idea where they are.

Most of the roof vents I've seen fit through a 14" square opening, if you're worried by subsequent water intrusion add a translucent Maxx-Aire or similar cover to give your fixture extra protection,, but installed correctly I doubt you'll need it.

Now go get that sawsall out of the shed and have at it.....Don't forget the pictures.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have a 2012 Cruiser 28RKX and we wanted to do the same. We've talked to 2 different people at Camping World and they would not do it because there are too many wires and duct work running through there. Our air conditioner is in the middle with speakers on each side. Plus all the lighting.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote