Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
New Camper

Rubber Roof on 2014 Cruiser 35SS

I sure hope I can describe this so you guys know what I'm talking about. I recently acquired a Cruiser that is in fantastic shape. Looks like the previous owner didn't store it under cover full-time so there is some oxidation on the sides/back and I expected I would need to do some chalking and possible roof patching here and there. I got it home and let the AC's run a few days and the main AC unit started leaking inside the cabin. While on the roof removing and cleaning the condensation tray, I noticed while I was on my knees, behind me my shoes were scuffing and left what looked like scratches on the oxidized surface. The scratches were not all the way through, but the part of the rubber I exposed was tacky. Has anyone ever experienced this on a roof? I had on pretty flat-soled Sketchers slip-ons, but pretty sure if I was up there wearing a boot or tennis shoe, I could have left a sole impression in the rubber.

I noticed the roof has micro-cracking 100% all over it and few small baseball size bubbles here and there. It was a decent sunny 75-degree day and the rubber felt like it was soft. IDK, it just felt weird to me. It's obvious the previous owner never coated it with anything, I plan to Eterna tape the edges and maybe some of the bubbles, then coat it with Henrys 887 Tropi-Cool. I need to get a couple of seasons use out this Cruiser before I consider investing in a new roof. I think taping and Henry coating will solve the problem. Maybe even save me from replacing the roof. Any thoughts and recommendations?
ckingwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

It's sad you have no replies.

I live in Ontario and have a 2013 Cruiser 5th wheel and don't appear to have the problem you are talking about. I did have Eterna Bond applied to the front cap - roof joint a couple of years ago and it seemed to do the trick. There aren't any leaks.

I do have an Adco cover for the winters.

Hopefully someone else from a southern climate replies.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckingwevl View Post
I sure hope I can describe this so you guys know what I'm talking about. I recently acquired a Cruiser that is in fantastic shape. Looks like the previous owner didn't store it under cover full-time so there is some oxidation on the sides/back and I expected I would need to do some chalking and possible roof patching here and there. I got it home and let the AC's run a few days and the main AC unit started leaking inside the cabin. While on the roof removing and cleaning the condensation tray, I noticed while I was on my knees, behind me my shoes were scuffing and left what looked like scratches on the oxidized surface. The scratches were not all the way through, but the part of the rubber I exposed was tacky. Has anyone ever experienced this on a roof? I had on pretty flat-soled Sketchers slip-ons, but pretty sure if I was up there wearing a boot or tennis shoe, I could have left a sole impression in the rubber.

I noticed the roof has micro-cracking 100% all over it and few small baseball size bubbles here and there. It was a decent sunny 75-degree day and the rubber felt like it was soft. IDK, it just felt weird to me. It's obvious the previous owner never coated it with anything, I plan to Eterna tape the edges and maybe some of the bubbles, then coat it with Henrys 887 Tropi-Cool. I need to get a couple of seasons use out this Cruiser before I consider investing in a new roof. I think taping and Henry coating will solve the problem. Maybe even save me from replacing the roof. Any thoughts and recommendations?
I just typed a lengthy reply to your message. (ckingwevl)
But the web site told me I wasn't logged in, and kicked me off, so I'm trying to send a quick test message now.
I believe I had the same problem as you.
Tow Vehicle is a 2019 RAM 2500HD Longhorn (diesel)
Diver_John_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver_John_812 View Post
But the web site told me I wasn't logged in, and kicked me off, so I'm trying to send a quick test message now.
I believe I had the same problem as you.
Well, my last message went through, so let me try another one.
My 2016 Cruiser had a similar, (possibly the exact), problem.
Apparently, there were many RV's built with a faulty roof coating back then.
I battled it for 5 years, (treating, and cleaning the roof), thinking there was something I was doing wrong. The roof was always sticky, and on warm days, it would become almost like Plumbers Putty, and would stick to my hands, knees, and shoes, while caulking. And it had those cracks that you describe.
I finally gave-up and had an independent RV Technician look at my roof. He's the one that told be about the crappy materials that were used back then.
After contacting several RV Roof companies, I settled on RV-Armor, who came to my house, and did the work in my driveway. (it took 3 days)
The old "rubber' roof had to be completely removed, and some small areas of the decking needed to be replaced, because I had some minor leaks happening.
So, to make my roof perfect, it cost me $7500.
But it now has a Transferable Lifetime Warranty.
I'd love to send you a picture of my old roof, but doing here seems to be a P.I.A.
I'd be happy to send it to an email address if you like.
John
Tow Vehicle is a 2019 RAM 2500HD Longhorn (diesel)
Diver_John_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver_John_812 View Post
But the web site told me I wasn't logged in, and kicked me off, .

If you don't click the "remember me" button when you sign in, I believe you only have 15 min. of inactivity before you get signed out.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks, @Diver_John_812 for the response. Good to know someone out there has seen the same thing I am on this end. I am going to try a couple of things before I consider a roof replacement to see if I can get some additional life from it. I'm going to etrna-bond around all the openings (ACs, vents, skylights, etc), the front cap seam, and down the sides (if necessary). Then I'm going to apply two coats of Henry's Tropi-cool for three reasons. Fill in the micro-cracks and suspect spots where divots or shoe marks have formed. To give the rubber roof a little more rigidity. Finally, to cool things down. I'm in Texas and will do most of my camping in Texas. The sun is brutal, so anything I can do to reflect the heat will be a plus. I have used Tropi-cool on a Cargo trailer with an aluminum roof before and it worked wonders. I should also mention I plan to do the same to the slide-outs. The previous owner did not cover the rig. Under my ownership, it will be stored in covered parking when not in use. Hopefully, a combination of all these steps will keep me going a little longer without having to invest in a new roof.
Bilstein B8 5162 Suspension Leveling Kit
Airlift Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Helper Springs
BF Goodrich KO2s
ckingwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to hardnocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckingwevl View Post
Thanks, @Diver_John_812 for the response. Good to know someone out there has seen the same thing I am on this end. I am going to try a couple of things before I consider a roof replacement to see if I can get some additional life from it. I'm going to etrna-bond around all the openings (ACs, vents, skylights, etc), the front cap seam, and down the sides (if necessary). Then I'm going to apply two coats of Henry's Tropi-cool for three reasons. Fill in the micro-cracks and suspect spots where divots or shoe marks have formed. To give the rubber roof a little more rigidity. Finally, to cool things down. I'm in Texas and will do most of my camping in Texas. The sun is brutal, so anything I can do to reflect the heat will be a plus. I have used Tropi-cool on a Cargo trailer with an aluminum roof before and it worked wonders. I should also mention I plan to do the same to the slide-outs. The previous owner did not cover the rig. Under my ownership, it will be stored in covered parking when not in use. Hopefully, a combination of all these steps will keep me going a little longer without having to invest in a new roof.
How did the Henrys 887 Tropi-Cool coating go. I have a 2011 with micro cracks and just bought it and do not want to spend 7k on new rubber.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I seen the message but haven’t ever experienced that so I couldn’t respond with any advice. Let us know your outcome.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I also own a 35SS, and had a portion of my roof peel back on a trip down east to Nova Scotia. The roof material seems thin and gummy to me as well. The front portion of my roof was replaced in Nova Scotia but I as well want to coat it all with a coating. Please post what you decide to do, and what you think of the performance of the coating.

Tags
887, henry, roof, rubber