Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
New Camper

satellite hook up

recently got a winegard portable dish. long story short ran both wires thru the windows ( front bedroom and living room ) turn on the dish and all is well. The next day decided to try the Sat/Cable hook up in the basement. ( they are above the water hook up ) To see if the living room outlet would work. nothing does. behind the tv is 2 places for a cable hook up, no matter which one I tried there was nothing. I tried a shorter cable knowing that I exceeded the 50 ft max. when putting everything up I notice that a white and gray cable was coming from the outlet in the basement. But it was raining and did not dig any deeper to see what color went to Sat/Cable. I would think that one of those should be running to the tv in the living area. any ideals??? P. S. I own a 2013 Cruiser 345RF
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not sure if Sat is run to the basement or not. My rig (older) only had satellite to the TV entertainment cabinet. The two cables in the basement may be FROM the cable booster and then going to the bedroom cable box (?). My sat/cable hookup is on the left rear corner, Do you have one there?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I remember some things when I did mine,but not everything. I know I had to add a splitter behind tv and hook in to the bedroom. Bedroom had it's own line and sat wouldn't work in there. I believe basement and bedroom were on the same cable.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
New Camper

do have have one on left rear corner.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
New Camper

I did not mention the bedroom tried it too and had nothing. which did not surprise me since it barely worked when using the antenna
Old 04-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

My hook up is in the basement using the cable connection, you need a splitter to connect to bedroom. When I was done everything worked, make sure the amplifier is off.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
New Camper

try that and it did not work. try diff combination of it also. there is two connector in the basement. one is marked Sat the other is marked Cable. I have used the cable on in the past ( the park I was at had cable ) and your correct I had to turn the amplifier off. There is 2 connectors behind the tv one has the amplifier and the other does not. I was hoping the one that does not have a amplifier would be a direct run from basement to tv. if you are using a splitter on yours what dish do you have? winegard told me that the G2 would not work if a splitter was being used or the cable is over 50 feet.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We run ours in through the side of the slide. Perhaps the window pinches too much?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 AM   #9
New Camper

that is what I did the first time out. one went the slide in the bedroom and the other thru the window and that works ok but I just let the window rest on the cable. but your correct I have 2 slides there also in the living area. I was just hoping I could figure this all out. I need a 12volt power supply to power the dish which is also in the basement by the 2 connectors that I can not figure out.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You might want to check to make sure you are connecting to the correct terminal on the receiver. Mine has 2 and if the cable is not connected to the correct terminal the unit will not receive a signal from the dish.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #11
New Camper

ok I finally took the 5th wheel out again a couple weeks ago. The connection in the basement/storage area that is marked SAT does run to the back of the trailer and is directly behind the tv. ( that cable is gray in color ).