Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Considering adding a secondary A/C unit to my Rig since it is already wired for it. The bedroom just does not cool down even with all the rest of the vents closed off.

Does anyone have two units already? Pros/Cons?

Can you run them independently?

Can you get a low profile unit so that it can still fit in the barn door?

Any idea of the cost?

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

2008 GMC Sierra 2500

Pullrite Superglide

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...dcopilot-1.jpg
LGMI_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Larry,

Before you go the route of a 2nd A/C unit, you might check to make sure your duct work is sealed with the silver heat/AC tape. Some forum members have reported that the ends of their duct work was not sealed allowing the cold air to flow into the attic. There are also some areas where the inside and outside AC units come together that might need some sealing also. There have been several on here that have added 2nd AC units so hopefully they will jump in andhelp out with your other questions.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We camped in the Dallas, TX area 8/2 - 8/16 with the temperature over 100 every day. Our Cruiser has one 15k a/c and 30 amp service. We were comfortable day and night. Granted, the a/c ran almost non-stop set at 76 degrees during the day but did cycle at night set to 74 degrees. Plenty of cool air came out all the ceiling vents fore and aft. I am in agreement you should check the sealing tape.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I have 2 A/C units in my PP, both are 15K, they are both ducted, and each has it's own thermostat, as far as height my unit is 13'4" tall.....I sure can't think of a negative....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I checked the ducts tonight and found that they are all taped really well. there are a couple of small spots that I saw that will be touched up, but in general it looks like a the factory did a great job.

One thing that happened this past weekend was that the ducts and the blower cover inside got a lot of condensation all over. This is part of the reason we are considering a second unit to cutdown on the run time and keep the bedroom cooler at night without our dog sleeping in an icebox in the living room even with the vents closed.

2008 GMC Sierra 2500

Pullrite Superglide

Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Are you getting a lot of air thru the duct? We had a similar problem with our Sunset Trail and I found that a loose piece of tape was largly blocking the duct. I ended up inspecting all the ductwork and retaping anything that wasn't perfectly sealed. Same for the heat in the floor.

Also, you do want the A/C to run a lot. The name of the game is efficiency and humidity reduction and that is obtained by long run cycles, same as with central air at home. Too much capacity is not a benefit.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Guess I am adding a thread into my own thread here.

Last night while I was looking at the tape job on the AC unit, I noticed that on the wiring diagram they show that you can connect a solar panel to the connections.

Has anyone done this? How did you wire in the regulator or do you still have to?

Opinions?

2008 GMC Sierra 2500

Pullrite Superglide