Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

hey folks

we are in a shake down camping trip....we have a squeaky floor near the fridge. Hasn't gone away but we know exactly where it is. Will this be something that the dealer can fix? I noticed my underbelly is like a fabric looks like a pain to get to the floor. Thoughts?

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The black Darco fabric across the bottom of the I-beams is just the first layer since it only spans between the I-beams. There will also be Reflectix insulation in the underbelly area. If there are holding tanks where the squeak is located, they will need to be dropped also. Then, there is another Darco layer that really covers the bottom of the floor, from wall to wall. It holds the floor insulation in place and protects everything from road spray.

Is it a wood squeak or a metaliac squeak?

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

thanks Dayle...yessir this is wood sound as if the wood came up from the ibeam a little.

By the sounds of it....this doesn't sound like an easy fix.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If it sounds like wood, then the edge of one sheet of plywood is rubbing against another. Crossroads uses both adhesive and screws to secure the plywood to the aluminum floor joists, if the plywood was not tight, then the floor probably wouldn't be level. Since there is vinyl near the frig. and if you can't detect an uneven floor, then that may not be the problem. More likely it is a plywood joint flexing between two floor joists. Probably won't be ez to get to, but simple fix once there.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
If it sounds like wood, then the edge of one sheet of plywood is rubbing against another. Crossroads uses both adhesive and screws to secure the plywood to the aluminum floor joists, if the plywood was not tight, then the floor probably wouldn't be level. Since there is vinyl near the frig. and if you can't detect an uneven floor, then that may not be the problem. More likely it is a plywood joint flexing between two floor joists. Probably won't be ez to get to, but simple fix once there.
I think you are on the right path there...the floor is perfectly level and the noise we creaks on every step in about a 2ft by 3ft area in front of the fridge...there is also a heater vent right there. Any chance it is rubbing against that to make that noise?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to dhasenwinkle
The dealer just fixed the squeak in the floor in our 2011 CF325CKP. They said it was the heat vent that was a little loose. Anyway so far we have not had another squeak out of it. They cut holes in all the underbellystuff, to get to the problem area, and put a patch to re seal the opening they made. The problem we now have is the patch is coming off. The dealer said to use Duct Tape, or get the proper tape from any RV dealer. I tried the Duct Tape, and it is already falling off, without even moving the trailer, so I will now have to get the proper tape from a local dealer.
dhasenwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

You may want to check out the alum. tape that is used by A/C people. We have done A/C work for a few years and have used this tape on sheet metal and once its on there it's very hard to get off. Not sure if Home Dep. or Lowels sells this tape, and does cost, but good stuff. Good Luck.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Go to Lowes Home Center and buy a roll of tape they sell to install new windows in a home. It's some kind of a rubber tape used to seal around windows and also to place under the window sill to sit the window on......the rep in windows will know what I'm talking about. This stuff is great and won't come loose and not hurt by water. It sticks like crazy and its thick and tough. I've read that some people who had to cut the bottom membrane of their trailer to access the plumbing used this tape to seal things back up.

I think there is a similar product sold by RV dealers called Eternabond which is used to seal rubber roofs.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1

How would one fix a plywood joint between two floor joists? We have one in the bathroom of our Cruiser Patriot 305SK. We can access the area, as it directly above the basement storage area. When someone is stepping on the floor above, you can see the edge of the one panel move past the other with the squeak occuring directly at that spot.

This just started, so since our unit is a 2013, it may come under warranty?
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
It is covered under warranty. If you can see that much movement they didn't lay down the adhesive to the floor structure correctly or they failed to use enough fasteners.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote