Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We finally took our 325CK 5er out this weekendfor its first trip. We only went about 40 miles from home, but the whole purpose was to just make sure everything worked, and it did.

We had a small leak from the water heater's drain valve, but pretty quickly realized it was because the brass drain valve was screwed into a metal fitting without benefit of any stuff to prevent leaks. So we went to the Wal-Mart a mile from the campground, picked up some plumber's thread tape, removed the drain valve, wrapped it with tape and wrenched it back into place. Bye-bye leak. Same thing with the drinking water pressure regulator. Plastic hose mating with the brass regulator. Leak. A little tape took care of that one, too.

We didn't bring our dog's kennel, cuz we were only going to be gone one night. Dog thought that was an invitation to spend the night in bed with us. Got a little cozy with my wife and I and a Gordon setter sharing the queen size bed.

It was hot and sticky when we arrived at the campground. A/C took care of that in a hurry. In fact, we had to raise the temp a couple of degrees to keep from becoming Popsicles.

Then we got home and shaved 10 minutes off the time it took to back the trailer off our narrow gravel road and 250 feet up our curvy driveway to its parking place. Took 25-30 minutes this time. When we brought it home from the dealer in March, it took 40-45 minutes.

All in all, a pretty satisfying shakedown.

Edited by: dbuster

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Glad you had a good trip. I know what you are talking about when you mentioned backing the rig into it's "spot". I have to back ours 30 to the back of our driveway, then make a 90dg turn to park it. After a few more times you will know exactly the line to take and when to turn. This experience really helps when you have to make some crazy turns into a campground.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Just to throw it out there but when doing that much loaded backing up Keep track of you transmission temps. They tend to get hot quick in this environment..Jmho. Jb
Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

When we brought the trailer home from the dealer in March, I remember thinking "OK, I finally got things to work when the back wheels of the trailer were 'here' in relation to the end of the driveway, the truck was 'there' and I made 'this' kind of turn." I sort of followed that script when we got home this time and it worked well. The key, as my semi-driving neighbor told me in March, is to make only gentle turns, especially til you get the wheels of the trailer into the driveway and pointed in the general direction you want to go.

Plus, my wife was providing great directions from behind the trailer via walkie-talkie. I couldn't ever have gotten the thing into the driveway without that help. She also kept me from running into a pile of brush along one side of the driveway and into our vegetable garden on the other side. <grin>

The only casualties were a couple of lilies we have planted at the end of the driveway above the culvert pipe. Front wheels of the truck mashed those pretty good. But I knew that was going to happen, and had warned my wife that her lilies might not survive our parking the trailer. Couple lilies seems like a fair trade to get that trailer where we want it.

Edited by: dbuster

Twin Cities

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Congratulations...alll in all it sounds pretty uneventful for you That's how it should be...funny you needed the tape for those fittings...on my unit there is so much plumber's putty I could scrape some off and use it elsewhere LOL. Anyway welcome to the forum and contiinued good luck with your unit.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Glad the trip was fun. We are trying to teach the 85 lb Lab not to sleep with us. Tho Colorado temps might need a little cozy!
Carole
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Fortunately, our setter is "only" about 50 pounds, but when she stretches out in the bed, she takes up a lot of space in all directions.

Twin Cities

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Jim, ordering a new 28RKX, anything I should watch out for or question the dealer regarding the new trailer? its on order.
malysc
malysc is offline   Reply With Quote