Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I went to close my table side slide this week after it has been open since the first week of May. The slide closed, ratchiting noise as if it were completly in but still had 6-8 inches to go. Battery fully charged, no obstruction above or below. Unit is just about six months old. My list of repairsis getting so long the dealer will have the unit all winter.
334SS
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11

I went to close my table side slide this week after it has been open since the first week of May. The slide closed, racheting noise as if it were completly in but still had 6-8 inches to go. Battery fully charged, no obstruction above or below. Unit is just about six months old. My list of repairsis getting so long the dealer will have the unit all winter.
334SS
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Have you lubricated your slides? Sitting open that long will accumulate dirt and dust on the notched slide rails and may bind making the motors think they are in when it is not. May also be out of alignment, but to rule out grunge,etc it is best to lubricate them well with a dry lube. Slide out spray is available from most RV dealers and there are other options I just can't think of a brand name off the top if my head. I lube our slides every two weeks when on the road and after winter and before we leave when it is at home - more often if I am using them regularly. We keep our slides in when storing it and the rails seem to stay clean.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Your slide out seals on the sides can bind as well to some degree if they aren't still soft. There is conditioner for those as well. Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Did you clean the top of the slide and/or check for limbs etc before trying to close it?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11

I went to close my table side slide this week after it has been open since the first week of May. The slide closed, ratchiting noise as if it were completly in but still had 6-8 inches to go. Battery fully charged, no obstruction above or below. Unit is just about six months old. My list of repairsis getting so long the dealer will have the unit all winter.
334SS
I lubricate the slide mech. frequently.
I would try to put the slide out and lube the slide Mech. and then try to put it in again.
I use the slide lube found at Walmart. A silicon lube will probably do the trick if all it needs is lubrication.

Our sofa/table slide is not "perfectly" centered but does seem to go in and out OK. Tight on the rear and more clearance on the front. hate to take it in for an alignment - afraid they will screw it up.

Hopefully your issues are "small ones". I would contact CrossRoads prior to taking it to the dealer.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

How do most "store" the TT, with the slide out or in? I have been leaving mine out when parked at the house. I have been wondering if this was harmful in any way. When out for an extended period I always get a ladder and sweep if necessary any debris off before closing.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

For extended periods I have always had the slides in on this trailer and our previous unit. The seal is as good or better when slides are in and the loads are centered better on the axles. We get snow in the winter so I don't want the snow loads weighing on my slides. I'm pretty sure that would screw up their alignment or worse in short time.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

The slides are in except when in loading,unloading and when camping. Otherwise they are always in. I have slide toppers so that pretty well protects the top of the slides and the seal area.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
For extended periods I have always had the slides in on this trailer and our previous unit. The seal is as good or better when slides are in and the loads are centered better on the axles. We get snow in the winter so I don't want the snow loads weighing on my slides. I'm pretty sure that would screw up their alignment or worse in short time.

X2 Even if I had the benifit of indoor storage I would store with the slides in. To square up the unit over the frame. I am sure others will say they are designed to handle that stress.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote