Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2005 28CK and sadly, the black water tank did not come with a flush. I have been using a sewer connector with a garden hose hookup to back fill the tank and a toilet wand in the bathroom to get the "crusties" out. I would like to install a flush system myself. I have never had the underbelly fabric down and I am a little nervous about it. I have look at several posts on the forum and I see thatmany have had the underbelly down for various reasons.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket tank flush and if so, do you have pictures? Also, if anyone has pictures of taking down the underbelly fabric(for any other reason) those would be helpful. I'm notas concerned about taking it down as I am about getting it put back correctly without damage.

Thanks in advance.

2005 Cruiser 28CK

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 8.1L Gasser Allison Trans
seanlcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I just replaced the underbelly fabric on my 07 Cruiser with coroplast and I did take pictures. I will be posting about it as soon as I get a chance but that may not be for a little while because we are going out of town soon and I am trying to get everything ready to go but I can tell you this. My tanks have a "fitting" where you can screw in a tank flush. Mine came with a black tank flush and the water line runs from the outside near my drain handles then across the camper and to the fitting. It is a female, threaded fitting with a plug in it located at the shallow end of the tank. Mine has plenty of room to work around it. I am not sure what the "head" of the flush device on mine looks like but it is certainly smaller than the "tornado" brand flushes I have seen in rv parts depts. My galley and grey tanks have the same fitting as the black tank, just no flush head. My thought would be to not necessarily drop the underbelly fabric but to instead, "feel" the bottom of the tank and carefully cut an access hole into the fabric then use eternabond or gorilla tape to close the hole back up. I would think you could cut a hole large enough to allow you to see up in there with a flashlight and mirror, then once you know "where you are" cut the hole larger to be able to work in. Just a thought. Do be careful if you cut into the fabric because there were some wires laying on the fabric in mine and it would have been easy to accidentally cut into one.
Good Luck,
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Lonnie. I'll have to crawl underthere and see if I can feel the tank perimeter.

2005 Cruiser 28CK

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree if you can feel the tank I would cut an x in the undercover. I would try an place it as close to the toilet pipe as I could. If the tank is close to the undercover you can use black duct tape to cover the opening.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I pulled the front corner of the under belly fabric back last weekend to try and sort out my plugged black tank flush. Had no issues getting it back in place. Just try to take down as little as possible and line up the screw holes when putting it back up.
As for the black tank flush, I have no idea how all of the "crud" managed to pass through the spray nozzle. After several hours of flushing with water and air pressure, I finally got some spray action. I was afraid if i worked on it any longer the whole thing would disintegrate.
Next time I will definitely where a full mask when dealing with pressurized water and $hit residue. Not a pleasant experience.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I put a tornado tank rinser in my black water tank. I took the fabric down to do it. I like that it now can be rinsed out. I installed the one that has the long hose that you put through the underbelly and attach to the top of the sewer line, so you just hook up the hose and go.

I did modify mine though and drilled a hole through the frame and ran the hose out through the hole, then siliconed the hole and ran the line out to the skirting of the trailer, then cut a hole in the skirtingfor a hose hookup that had a 1 way valve in it that I got from the local trailer store.

It works well to clean everything out.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have been using the same for 3 years.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
New Camper

Ordered one today. Wish me luck on the install.

2005 Cruiser 28CK

Old 07-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

This post has perfect timing. I was just on last night looking at different spray options.

I found that the tornado has a moving head. Folks say they break. I was leaking towards the other version with no moving head. (for the life of me i can't remember the name of it)

I crawled under there and look at the fabric.. thought EEK.. That looks like more of a job than the drilling the hole in the tank, part..

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Hi, I just installed a tornado a few weeks ago... Unfortunately I didn't get pictures.

I did pull the skin down to expose the black tank on my CF28BH. I cut the hole in the side (aft) of the tank using the template that came with the kit. The one problem I had was with a cross brace behind the tank - made getting the drill in position a bit of a pain. Also I didn't have the right size hole saw so I cut one with the size I had (1.5" I think) and then used a roto cutting bit in my dremel tool to make a small notch for the wings on the "tornado" head. I then ran the hose inside the belly skin to near the black valve and cut a small slit for the hose to come through the skin. I attached the hose fitting to the frame using one of the bolts that holds the skin to the frame. All in all it was not difficult, but did require rolling around under the trailer. Also, be sure you tank is empty... don't want anything dripping in your face when you cut that hole!

Putting the skin back was easy also. I just used duct tape to pull and hold the skin tight in place at the front corners and then used an electric drill with a socket to put the bolts back in (oh yea, I used the drill with the socket to take the bolts out too). Now I just need to take the rig out for a trip and see how well it works...

Good luck.

2005 Cruiser 28BH
lmakepeace is offline   Reply With Quote