Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Thinking of purchasing a used 2005 cruiser- advice

Hi, my husband and I are about to enter the RV world and we are looking at a 2005 used Cruiser 29 RK fifth wheel. Our last RV experience was a leaky tent trailer pop-up with four adolescent kids, so I'm hoping for a level of improvement. We're babes in the woods and I'm wondering if you more experienced owners could tell us what we should be looking at in this model? Any flaws that are part of this line? It's a private sale, so no warranties are being offered. Our other possibility in our price range is a 1999 alpenlite spyglass from a dealer, but I'm pretty wary since that manufacturer has been out of business for awhile. We are also going to have to move up to a more powerful towing vehicle than our Expedition, so if you all could suggest what we would need to haul this safely (and maybe more if we move up) that would also be appreciated.
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The Cruisers back then I believe were more reliable and to an extent, better built. That time frame is before a major shift of personnel and leadership and the company was privately owned. I would ask the current owner just what has been replaced because the fridge, A/C and heater may be on borrowed time. I don't know what issues there were on the 2005's, but I do know there are some 29RK owners on here but not 2005's. As far as the tow vehicle, I would suggest you get a truck that will last the next RV. A lot of people get a vehicle for their current RV and then have to upgrade the tow vehicle when they upgrade their rig.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Stan covered it pretty well.
I would also suggest getting up on the roof and looking that over for damage or repair. Check the walls and floor around the slide outs for any water damage that might have occurred, along with the ceiling. Water damage will discolor things and stain. Look at the tires to see how they are wearing. Hopefully the thread will show even wear all the way across. If at all possible, have them demonstrate how everything works and where things are located.
Good luck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

axles

The 2004 models had bad axles and ate tires like crazy.
Check it out.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We owned an '04 CF29RK for 7 yrs. Only item that failed was the convertor. Check the age of the tires, ST tires over 3 yrs old should be replaced. Ask the owner how many miles the tires have on them, if more than 2k miles, then any axle issues should be obvious.

One other issue that the Cruisers had in that time frame were cracked outriggers, the triangular brackets extending out from the frame and support the walls. You have to clean off all the dirt and use a flashlight to inspect them. A crease is normal, but a crack may occur at the top of the crease. Or the weld at the frame may break. Outriggers directly opposite side the main slide are most suspect. EZ to repair by having a welder add a thicker triangle.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks

I'm a bit gun-shy about rigs that need a bit of TLC, since that usually signals more investment of time and effort than I am willing to make at this stage of my life. I appreciate the advice since it seems to apply to any rv we may ultimately choose. I guess it can't hurt to take a look Thank you once again for chiming in here.
All the best,
Pearl
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, purchase advice