Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

To Cover or Not To Cover

My only question is how many of you cover your trailers in the winter. Where I live on the west coast, we get nothing but rain in our winters. My RV shop says the only good thing with covering is that it is nice and clean when you bring it out in the spring. Actually the summer is harder on your trailer than the winter. When you go by Rv Sales they don,t cover all those rv,s in their yards. But I guess if I can keep the rain off of my trailer it is not a bad thing. And after all the labour that I have done on my unit , why not just keep it looking beautiful..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (139.2 KB, 17 views)
Bc, Canada
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Been a lot of discussion on that topic over the years.

The best thing is a building, if you can do it.
If you do a search, there is quite a few links on the subject. Here is just a couple.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ers-12405.html
https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ers-12405.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroad Rick View Post
My only question is how many of you cover your trailers in the winter. Where I live on the west coast, we get nothing but rain in our winters. My RV shop says the only good thing with covering is that it is nice and clean when you bring it out in the spring. Actually the summer is harder on your trailer than the winter. When you go by Rv Sales they don,t cover all those rv,s in their yards. But I guess if I can keep the rain off of my trailer it is not a bad thing. And after all the labour that I have done on my unit , why not just keep it looking beautiful..
Couple things your rv dealer didn't mention;
Are you physically able to haul that heavy bundle up a ladder?
Are you afraid of heights, you'll be 13'+ high on the roof.
Are you agile enough to hopscotch all the protrusions on the roof while installing the cover?
Is there lots of wind in your area? If so the cover flapping can possibly do as much damage as the weather.
If the cover doesn't breathe well you'll have a mold/mildew problem as a result of all the rain.
Just to name a few.
A good cleaning & wax job before storage would be my choice.
Just my .02 cents!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I covered my last RV (bumper pull 30' trailer) and will never cover again. Not only was it a real PITA to put on/remove/store it has to be tied down or the wind will pull it up. It also wore the paint off and rubbed the decals dull. It does take more effort to ensure the roof is clean and caulking in good shape when you do not cover especially here in the PNW. I wish I had a structure cover but I don't.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

To cover or not...

We live in the "snowbelt" region region of upstate NY. We've received seven foo snowfalls, and the temps can get -25 below zero ferenheight. We have never covered a camper, and never had a problem. However, we do regular maintenance, including checking the roof and ALL the caulking joints twice a year.
LouieMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

We were fortunate enough to build a 24x36 building back in 2001 when we built our house. Actually, we had the concrete poured and the metal building built before the house was started. Also, had a sewer dump added to our septic system When it was installed. That has came in handy.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I’m also on the West Coast in WA State. I cover mine. Most of those RV lots are huge, wide open lots with no trees. Keeping water, sun, branches and debris off your roof is never a bad thing.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I covered my last RV (bumper pull 30' trailer) and will never cover again. Not only was it a real PITA to put on/remove/store it has to be tied down or the wind will pull it up. It also wore the paint off and rubbed the decals dull. It does take more effort to ensure the roof is clean and caulking in good shape when you do not cover especially here in the PNW. I wish I had a structure cover but I don't.
I’m leaning in this direction for this season. Plus my new rig is bigger and the old cover will probably not fit.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Rick
After reading the posts on this thread there is something I didn't hear and that is, for the money you pay the covers don't last that long...I think especially the Tyvek or very lite weight covers...I have never owned a cover but a friend of mine did (Tyvek) and it lasted two winters...

PS...Nice looking rig...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
We were fortunate enough to build a 24x36 building back in 2001 when we built our house. Actually, we had the concrete poured and the metal building built before the house was started. Also, had a sewer dump added to our septic system When it was installed. That has came in handy.
Sounds like you got it made, Papa-T