Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the following...

We are planning a 2 week trip through the south east this summer to show the kids some of the historic sites that were in my back yard when I was growing up in VA. Our trip is going to be about 2300 miles. We are the second (I think) owner of our Cruiser and have had it about a year and a half. It is a 2005 and as far as I can tell (based on date codes) the tires are original equipment. I have put about 2500 miles on it sine I got it and the tires are looking good, no unusual wear and the tread looks good as do the side walls... So the question is, do I replace the tires before our trip this summer (they are 6 years old and I don't know how they were treated for the first 4 years of their life)?

If you think I should replace them, what tires would you recommend? As far as I can tell they are all made in China these days so I think I'm stuck there...

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Lewis

2005 Cruiser 28BH
lmakepeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

They are over 5 years old & should be replaced. Easier to replace at home & look for a bargain, than broke down on the side of the road, taking what you can get.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I'm replacing mine on my 07 this summer before we head to Fl this winter coming. Arn't yours 7 years old?
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I would replace them. To me, it is well worth the peace of mind. You can go and not have to wonder if the tires are good. I replaced my original tires after only 3.5 years. We had a lot of miles on them and they had some definite wear so I bit the bullet and put on new tires. I swear the trailer seemed to pull smoother and easier but it may have just been because I was sitting on a slightly thinner wallet.I put on Maxxis. They were the best value and had the best reputation. Also, invest in tire covers. They will help protect the tires from sun damage. I always have them on when the camper is sitting here at home and when we travel if we are staying in 1 spot for more than a few days I slip them on.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

my tires were made in 2005, put on a 2006 Cruiser.
I had 2 replaced, but one of the originals, at 60 MPH,blew out....not a pretty site.
Bottom line.....$1500.00 worth of damage.
REPLACE THEM.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Another Vote for replacement.I had 6-7 year old tires on my first FW and lost the tread on one. I didn't have any damnage but could have been bad.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone, I was already to replace them but then I looked at them and they still look good so I started to have second thoughts! I had 4 flats on my previous trailer (also used - so I didn't now how the tires had been treated prior to my purchase) and one of them did about 1600 damage to the FW... You would think I had learned my lesson...

I'm going to start the process of looking for some Maxxis tires (I've see other good comments about them). I have a quote from Costco on some Greenballs but I have seen a lot of negative feed back on them... Any comments from my fellow Cruisers?

Thanks again everyone for your feedback...

2005 Cruiser 28BH
Old 05-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2005 Cruiser and am within a month or soof replacing my original tires. Most of the times I have kept the TowMax tires covered when not in use and have checked the pressure daily when traveling. I have not had any issues with them even with towing over some pretty rough terrain. The issues Ihad were with the original valve stems.The orignals ones, I had two that were alwaysgradually losing air. I have not had any problems since I replaced them every two years and had the tires rebalanced. I think some of the bad press on Chinese made tires blowing out might be related to thejust as bad Chinese valves stems.

That being said I know the history of my tires and have maintained them since I tookdelivery. if I hadn't, i would have replaced them longbefore now. I have seen the damage caused by blow outs on friends trailers and watch my tires closely. I will be replacing my Towmax with Maxxis next month even though they still show good tread. The calendar says its time.Edited by: shoetravel

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I had the same thoughts last year on my old springdale trailer before going on a 2 week trip. Decided i'd wait on the tires.

Well, i had to replace one in Tunica,Ms that blew out. Then i replaced one in arkansas after the 2nd blown out tire.

Make sure the bearings are checked also. Everyone- make sure you have a set of wheel bearings, inner seals and wheel grease in your"goody box" for the trailer.

Happy camping

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier
vickark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

OK, I just wanted to thank everyone for the comments and suggestions. It turns out my tires were from 04! I was really running on borrowed time! In any case I was able to find some Maxxis tires from a dealer not too far from here, but it wasn't the best experience... First, I started driving away from the shop when I started thinking, I don't remember seeing any weights on the rims. I stopped the truck and looked, sure enough, the tires were not balanced! I was only a few blocks away so I turned around and headed into the shop. They apologized and quickly balanced the tires while I waited (and gave me $15 to cover my fuel for the extra trip).

Later that day I got a call from the shop and they asked if I could check the size of the tires they installed... They said they were missing a set of 205 75R15s (I use 225 75R15). Sure enough, they installed two 225's and two 205's! Unfortunately the shop is 35 miles away... Well I drove back down this morning and had the tires swapped and balanced!

We are headed to Disney for the long weekend and it will be nice to know I have a set of new Maxxis tires on the rig.

In any case, the moral of the story... Always check the tires (size, balance and age) before you leave the tire shop! Just as a side, a buddy of mine had a case where the shop put P rated tires on his Dodge 3500, luckily he caught it before he took his 36' Montana for a trip!

Thanks again for the posts!
Lewis

2005 Cruiser 28BH
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I would replace if over 5 years old. I have had tires that looked good with good tread blow out going down the road. Damage cost to my tow vehicle exceed the cost of new tires plus the inconvenience of having to change the tire out on the road.
martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinstwopopfarm
I would replace if over 5 years old. I have had tires that looked good with good tread blow out going down the road. Damage cost to my tow vehicle exceed the cost of new tires plus the inconvenience of having to change the tire out on the road.

Do yourself a biggie by replacing them before they inconveince you or blow the side of of your trailer. Also do not be afraid if so inclined to replace them with Towmaster again as they are a good tire. I am on my second set no problems nearly 8 summers now. I by accident talked witha towmaster distributor & he stated he sells a great number of them and continually growing number as people learn of them. He also said he just doesn't have a bit more problems with them than any other brand he carries. But they are substantially less money than all the others.IMHO jb