Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have 2008 2500 HD Chev Sierre LTZ,D/A,CC,SB,4x4 and I am towing a 2009 Cruiser CF28RL with it. The truck has a superglide 16K hitch, with a 3 inch lift kit and a Bakflip tonneau cover. I weighed the truck ,full of fuel, with me, my wife and our dog on board, I have 1300Lbs to play with before I am over the GVWR. To stay under I had to fill the fresh water tank and load the heavy supplies behind rear axle. Does anyone have an answer, short of buying a 1 ton or smaller trailer.

Pincher</span>Edited by: pincher
Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I say don't worry about it and go have fun. There are a lot of people hauling way more than you with the same truck. I think you will be fine.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Hunter11. I have the same truck (EC and 45 gal tank) and tow a bit larger rig. Unless you have ALOT of supplies or very large tires to go with the 3" lift, you will be fine. Your GVWR should be around 9200lbs.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
hhh
Seasonal Camper

There is no way to increase the GVWR of your truck so there is nothing else you can do if you want to stay within the ratings.</span>

https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

As stated, plenty are over GVWR with a diesel SRW truck. While that doesn't make it right, what is important is to stay under the GAWR for the truck's rear axle which is 6084 lbs, and that is the tire capacity for the factory tires. If you are running other tires, you need to make sure you are not overloading them. So, maybe you want to get individual axle weights for the loaded truck and compare to the available tire capacity. Last time I checked my truck, the rear axle weight was about 2500 lbs under the tire capacity w/o the fiver hooked up. And that is with a full 45 gal tank and heavier utility bed.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

You have basically the same truck as I do. I'm right on the limit with the

Seville unloaded but given that the only difference between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton

is the springing, I'm planning on putting in progressive 1 ton springs

with overloads at some point. Otherwise, I've had no problems towing.

There could be a problem if I get pulled into a scales somewhere even

with the new springs in that the GVWR, while greater with the new

springs, isn't listed on the door post.

I need to make another trip to the local truck stop and do a re-weigh with some changes that we're making in the Seville (Tri-Glide pin box, JT Strongarms) to see what that does to my weights with a full travel load.

We did pull it to Asheville, NC down I-75 thru the hills (can't really call them mountains) and it did just fine @ 10 - 12 mpg staying at about 1700 - 1800 rpm.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

So,what I am reading from most of the replies is that most of you are towing trailer above the GVWR for your tow vehicles. What about DOT checks?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I am not with the setup in my signature.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Be careful about reducing your pin weight. With a 3 inch lift you are probably nose high if you have at least 6 inches of bed rail clearance. Nose high and low pin weight may get you in a handling problem if you ever get in a tightspot requiring some evasive maneuvers to get out of the way of some idiot. I would not go below 20% pin weight. My 05 Dmax crewcab handles 2200 lbs of pin weight with no problem.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincher
So,what Â*I am reading from most of the replies is that most of you are towing trailer above the GVWR for your tow vehicles. What about DOT checks?

DOT only cares about the GAWR's, i.e. not exceeding the tire ratings. I don't know about in all states, but in some you can decide what GVWR to register the truck for, you just pay more for the higher rated number. And you can't be over 26K lbs combined weight or exceed the trailer GAWR's either.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

What's magical about 26k?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
What's magical about 26k?

A number of states require a CDL or special drivers license at 26,001 lbs. So, getting pulled over for any reason and the trooper thinks you might be close to that number may require a full safety check and license check.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 08-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Just curious. I have a CDL...
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have basically the same setup as you for both my 5ver and TV. I went thru your exact same problems when we first took delivery, setup and set out, on our first several trips.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

First off, LEO’s or DOT folks are highly unlikely to stop you for a weight check unless you look like the proverbial VW bug pulling a three axle, 15k fiver that’s bent double at the hitch. Either that or the TV rear bumper dragging the ground. What you do need to be aware of is the excess weight, strain, pressures and braking capability of the tow vehicle. The reason that DOT made the mfg’ers put the GVWR on the vehicles is due to premature failures of major components, including brakes, when the vehicle is overloaded and used in extreme conditions for an extended period of time.

Having dealt with loading, weight and balance of aircraft in a professional capacity for many years, it’s not hard to see why a lot of folks don’t understand this law of physics. In other words we have to stay within the same seesaw or teeter-totter effect as we did in our younger years.

To remedy and/or get a better understanding of exactly what you need to do to stay within the limits, you need to go to a CAT scale and weigh the RV, separately, loaded as it is towed. Weigh the truck, as it will be loaded for towing the RV. Then weigh both together. This is used to see exactly what you have on the pin and how your other weight is distributed. Be sure to tell the person operating the scale ticket that you need multiple readings to determine a correct combined weight.

An ag scale at you local feed store won’t cut it.

One thing I urge you not do, is carry water at full capacity in the fresh water tank, especially if it’s mounted in the far rear, which most Crossroads are. If the correct amount of weight is not properly distributed on the pin, a porpoising effect will cause the fresh water to bounce up and down in the fresh water tank. This causes undue stress on the support brackets and/or holders that will bend and even break. I know, we had this happen, call it the weakest link in the chain.

On our rig, we determined that about � tank of fresh water was sufficient to keep the weight and balance in correct proportions and keep the pin weight within the suggested 15% to 18% and still not overload the max “hauling� capacity of the TV. If the pin weight is within the envelope, the pin will not goose neck, porpoise, or jump up and down when going down the road.

Another issue to watch closely is the amount of “supplies� and or excess “equipment� in the basement compartment. A 200# to 300# excess can cause a serious weight change on the pin. Anything that can be moved inside the RV and over or behind the axles will go a long way in solving your problems.

Good luck,
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote