Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

What's wierd is that the "pin" broke. Was it a regulation pin? I often wonder about the small pins hold up the 5er landing gear and what if they break?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

It was the pin that came with his reciever hitch. I have never like those and thought they looked cheap so I have stainless locking type on our trucks. I am not going to say anything more to the guy he feels bad enough as it is. I do know he said this was his last triple tow and he has been doing it for years. Not knocking it to each his own just stating what he told me.

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

We had a pin break while pulling a trailer with a golf cart on it, on a two lane bridge, while meeting a truck, hitch jumped off, luckily the safety chains held it and we got it stopped before anything came loose. My brother-in-law was behind us, said golf balls was bouncing everywhere. That was in June and just got back from a 2200 mile trip triple towing, we didn't have a bit of trouble. I think if you are well prepared and keep everything well maintained, you will be fine.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

I double tow pulling my jet ski. My opinion is that a rear view camera is a must have. I put my truck in a ditch last winter, and doing so, I messed up my camera cable that I had ran under the truck. Well this spring/summer I double pulled without my back up camera. I could not see any part of my ski, unless I was making a turn, so unless you pull over every once in a while to check the boat trailer, you will not know if you have a problem or not, like maybe a flat tire on it. I also learned this past summer, that you DO NOT make any sudden moves. I was gawking over in a field and dropped my front right tire off the pavement, it startled me, so I jerked the wheel to get back on the road�VERY BAD THING TO DO so I found out later. As I said, I was double pulling without my rear camera. When I got home, I got out of the truck and went and looked at my jet ski, the ski was almost laying on its side, but still on the trailer. The winch had broken off, and was dangling. When I jerked the steering wheel, it had to have had a VERY violent effect on the ski trailer. If I had not had the ski tied down, I surely would have lost the jet ski on the highway, which was a narrow two way, with Labor Day traffic, it would have been a disaster, someone would have probably died that day. Have to be so very careful, and PAY ATTENTION to where you are going, I didn't.

Edited by: markbet

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...G_0955-1-1.jpg
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Not legal in all States and Provinces. I would suggest looking carefully at where you intend to go with it. It would be a shame to have to leave the boat somewhere until you can pick it up not to mention the fine.

Carman, Manitoba, Canada

2010 Cruiser CF30SK

2000 Ford F250 Triton V10

37 Yrs together, travelling with three cats
OlderRedboine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

hey mark, sounds pretty scary. good to here nobody was hurt. you must have givin the jet ski trailer a good whip for the ski to roll over. now tell the truth...you were checking out a chick in the other lane.right? thats a chevy chase/christy brinkly reference in the national lampoons movie.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinella
hey mark, sounds pretty scary. good to here nobody was hurt. you must have givin the jet ski trailer a good whip for the ski to roll over. now tell the truth...you were checking out a chick in the other lane.right? thats a chevy chase/christy brinkly reference in the national lampoons movie.
Well I will tell ya what. If I had been checking out another chick with Susan in the truck, the jet ski would be the LEAST of my worries.

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...G_0955-1-1.jpg
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

fair enough. glad you pulled out of it with no problems.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote