Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
New Camper

First time on the forum - looking at Cruisers for a replacement of Class A. Did a quick search and found nothing so thought i would ask the experts. since Class A is "retired" need a solution to camp and tow a 3000lb bass boat. Brochures say Cruisers have 300lb tongue limit. Am looking for real life experiences. Anyone have "war stories"?

thanks
gonefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have seen people do it but I would never attempt it. I have enough trouble watching the PP much less trying to see what would be behind it. I am sure you could do it with the proper hitch installed on the back of your Cruiser. If I was going to attempt it I would want a camera mounted on the back of the trailer so I could try and keep an eye on the second trailer.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
New Camper

Camera is a must in my book - thanks for the support. Am in the process of getting an accurate tongue weight - the results will either move the fifth wheel project forward or put me in a tent!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If I recall right there was a cruiser Sport model that came with a hitch, might want to check with Crossroads and see if the still have that option.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

mark (markbet)had the cruiser sport. i think he towed two jet skis.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
New Camper

sounds like triple tow is NOT used by many of you - maybe i need to rethink the situation??? Seems i did read in the "on line" brochure that one of the advantages of the Cruiser line was the "included" 2 inch receiver to "take along your toys". Quite possibly my toys are a bit large.. thanks to all that responded I'll post again when i get this resolved.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Not sure it is legal in all states, but I have NO experience. What was the Class A?

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
New Camper

croberts -

legality in states is vague at best - consult three sources (DOT, State Police, RV dealers) and get three different answers - especially as to length. Last I saw there are abouthalf a dozen states that prohibit triple tow. Some states like CA require additional certification on your driver's license; others don't. Yes it is very confusing!!!! So the crux of my situation is - will the 5er haul a 3000lb load? - with a 5er that will keep me under the length limits (65 - 70 feet). Admittedly, this will be a "squirlly beast" and quite possibly not practical.

Oh yea the Class A was a vintage 88 Southwind 24B w/454 carb.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Site Team

gonefishin
I tow a square back Coleman canoe behind our 5er. I realize that's not a very big load, but after looking at the way the hitch is mounted on the back, I'm careful how much I load in the canoe. They do advertise a 2 in. receiver, but the way it's put on would make it kind of scary to hook much on it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
New Camper

old farmer

So how much grief do you get from DOT on length limits?

Thanks for the tip on the "method of attachment" I certainly don't want that 06 Ranger passing me on the highway!

I might be better off having a real WELDER take a look and give some advise.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
New Camper

Scott said on the factory tour they would put the hitch on trailers up to 27 ft. long.

swampeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
New Camper

swampeagle

thanks for that info - 27 is the max I can go anyway to stay under the MO 65 ft limit.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin
old farmer

So how much grief do you get from DOT on length limits?

Thanks for the tip on the "method of attachment" I certainly don't want that 06 Ranger passing me on the highway!

I might be better off having a real WELDER take a look and give some advise.
No grief from the DOT--- so far anyway. Have never been stopped.
I just measured my trailer with canoe and motor. It's just short of 20 ft.
Our 5er is a 26rk. They call it 26 ft. Actually measures just short of 27 by an in. or 2.
TV is a short bed 2500 chev. I have never measured the whole thing hooked up, just stepped it off and it came in around 60 ft.
Hope this helps.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have been towing my boat since I have been using the 5th wheel. I have had no issues and total lenght is 68.5 ft from the front bumper to the prop on the boat. 70ft is the max lenght in Colorado with 65ft in most states in the West U.S. What hurts is the tolls on those roads that charge by the axle. The hitch was setup by RV Wholesales when i got the 5er. They did a good job. Plan ahead, look ahead, and act sooner while on the road.

Good luck

2005 Cruiser CF29CK 3 slides

19.5 ft Glastron SX IO Boat

Tow Both
gbontrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I had an interesting story at work today about triple towing. I have a co-worker that has a 26' TT he pulls with a Suburban. He is a big sailboater and once a year they take a one week trip to Alabama and triple tow his 20' sailboat behind the TT. They left Saturday morning headed for Alabama and when they got about 25 miles from the house they made a turn onto I35 and he realized the boat was not behind the TT. Now he has a reciever hitch welded to the frame of the TT and is experianced at towing but has told me he can't really see the boat behind his TT. He said they turned around and were so afraid they were going to come up on emergency vehicles because the boat had crossed the center line and plowed someone head on. About 15 miles back up the road they came up on a couple of cars and the sheriffs department on the side of the road. The boat and trailer were upside down in the bar ditch destroyed but no one was hurt which to me is amazing.

He was out today and this is all the info. I got from his email today so before anyone jumps in and says it was his fault or anything else I don't know what caused the boat trailer to become disconnected from the TT. I will find out more tomorrow if he comes in as to what happened. I did not post this to knock triple towing just to relay what happened to someone I know that did it. Like I said before I know there are a lot of people that do it and never have any issue but I for one would think it would be a risky thing to do. This guy and his wife got extremely lucky the boat went in the ditch instead of across 4 lanes of traffic. If you are going to do it put a camera on the back of the RV so you can keep an eye on the second trailer. I sent this guy an email today telling him he might want to install a camera and he said his triple tow days are over.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

I have towed my '86 Bayliner 20' boat behind 3 different 5th wheels. Started with a 24' Coachman, then a 26' Shasta, and most recently my CF27RL Cruiser.

No issues with any combination. The boat weighs about 2800 lbs.

Just have good mirrors and stay out of situations where you have to back up more than about 30' unless you practice.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #17
New Camper

Thanks for all the input --after pondering all the pro's and con's think I better leave triple tow to those more experienced and adventurous.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Just to report back, the guy I work with explained what happened. The pin that holds the hitch into the reciever on the back of his TT broke and that of course allowed the boat trailer to come off the TT. He said he never felt it come loose but the boat trailer tongue must have dug into the asphalt and broke the safety chains. I have heard him tell this story several times today and the one thing he repeated each time was how lucky he is that no one was hurt. Now this could have happened to the reciever on his Suburban as well so this was not a result of triple towing.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Hopefully the trailer had a washer/dryer in it. I'm sure he needed a clean change of underwear when he saw the boat missing!

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

thats a scary story. let him know that his chains need to be shorter, and of course criss crossed so they cradle the tounge. the tounge should never have hit the asphalt.everyone was very lucky.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote