Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

While heading out to the campground this weekend we had to make a potty break for a grand-daughter. Picked the closest place, a Pilot Truck Stop.

Hmmm, always wondered what this setup weighed so I went across the scales.

Ford F350 SRW Diesel, 1/2 tank fuel, 3 adults 2 grands, small.

Cruiser Patriot CF285Rl normal load, no water.

Front Axle 5020lbs

Rear Axle 5900lbs

Trailer 7380lbs

Gross 18,300 lbs

Kinda interesting as the truck ratings are

Front 5000lbs

Rear 6693lbs

No problem on the trailer as it's rated 10,400 axle rating.

I was 20 lbs over on the front axle, BUT I (275lbs) was standing on the scale and not in the cab so it would be ok when my weight is divided.

It just surprised me how close the front axle is to overweight.

When I have more time I'll get the truck by itself weighed. I didn't fell like doing it right and unhooking and reweighing.

Next time you're by a scale weigh your rig, you might be surprised. I was.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Have to make sure you have the same amount of fuel.
Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I can do that but the gauge is fairly accurate, it runs 7.5 gal/1/4 tank. I can figure it either way if it's not at 1/2.

Have you weighed yours? I have added the second AC which adds to the hitch so really need to weigh just the truck to get an idea of the hitch weight. Thinking about it I should have kicked everyone out but myself, it would have made it easier to figure...
Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I have not weighed it since I started using it. I weighed on the way home from picking it up and got the following with full LP and one battery (no 2nd AC):

pin weight: 2000
axle weight: 6820

It really will be hard to get exact weights doing it a second time. Next time just go and weigh it hooked up, pull around and unhook, then weigh the truck alone. Would be interesting to see if it's putting much additional weight on the front axle.... it should add little to no additional weight to the front.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh
It really will be hard to get exact weights doing it a second time. Next time just go and weigh it hooked up, pull around and unhook, then weigh the truck alone. Would be interesting to see if it's putting much additional weight on the front axle.... it should add little to no additional weight to the front.
I weighed our rig shortly after getting our unit home. I discovered that I was over weight on the pin but substantially underweight on the GCWR (combined TV and 5ver).

After playing around with the movement of various items toward the rear of the axles plus reducing the amount of water in the fresh water tank,I found that approx 30% to 40% of the pin weight is transferred to the front axle. Matter of fact it gets real close to the front axle limits.

Ford has a special section in their towing guides that give reference to front mounted snow plows and the various provisions that must be made to stay in compliance as not to void the warranty.

I'm reasonably sure that a major effect is due to the weight of the diesel engines. Based on my numerous trips to the CAT scales, it stands to reason that if your over on the front axle, then in all probability, you're over on the pin. Enough that you should take a good look at the weight distribution

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

A properly mounted 5th wheel hitch is over to 2" in front of the rear axle center line. None to very little pin weight should be transferred to the front wheels. If you are getting an additional 30% to 40% of the pin weight on the front axles, your 5th wheel hitch is mounted improperly. On my last truck, the front axle weight went up 20 lbs when hitched up.... I haven't weighed my new truck to see what the weights are.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

How much did they charge you?

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Something is wrong if you get 30% pin weight transferred to front axle. That would mean the hitch would have to be very near to the center line between the truck axles. Need to revisit your numbers from the scales. May need to do another weighing. But be carefull about trying to reduce pin weight. Having 20% or more pin weight isa major reason 5th wheels tow better than pull trailers. The other reason is the pin weight is over the rear axle thus less tail wagging on the trailer.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

One of these days if I get interested enough I'll drag the trailer to a scale and do it right. I have a truck stop abt 20m away.

On the cost, it was $9.50 (Pilot Truck Stop, CAT scale)and you are allowed 3 re-weighs. You would only need one re-weigh, truck by itself, and from that figure the hitch weight and weight transferred to the front axle.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I had mine weighed last time out----last thing I was worried about was front axel weight. Here are the numbers---(from memory so forgive me if I don't have them exactly right).

Front axel 4200, drive axel 5820, trailer axels 7680, total 17,700, from paper work 1800 lb. pin weight empty trailer wheight 9,368, full tank of fuel, two adults. Now I was standing out 4 ft. in front of the truck, also had a fair size load of fire wood next to the cab. MFG. posted weights Front axel 4000 rear axel 8800, cost $9.50 at Pilot. My thought is1st, I was 3 to 4 foot out in front of the cab standing on the scale (200 lb). 2nd Heavy deisel (7.3L). 3rd I had a fairamount of fire wood stacked right behind the cab.4th short wheel base on truck. I think the only thing I can do is move the fire wood back behibd the 5r hitch. Who would of thunk it heavy on front axel lighton rearaxel. Any comments as to how I can adjust some weight, the ride seems to be just a little bouncy to me, I was expecting to findheavy rear, light front????

Flyone

Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
Site Team

You guys that are experiencing to much front axle weight, if you have a slider, why don't you slide your hitch point back one or two inches?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I do have a slider. But it's not adjustable, all the way forward or all the way back. Nothing in between.

Never used it either.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I too have a slider, same situation as Clif, either all of the way forward to tow, or all of the way back to maneuver.(No in between) I use mine almost every time Iback up, I paid for it, I dont want to have to pay for a new back windshield as well.

Flyone
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
hhh
Seasonal Camper

You can not go by any mfg. posted weights. In most cases they are for base models with no options. Only way to tell is to actually weight the truck.

Sort of like the empty weight posted by trailer mfg, not even close.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Site Team

I guess there is a lot to be said for the old manually adjustable slider that I have.
I can adjust in 2in. increments.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

When you purchase a new truck insist that you get a copy of the invoice. the true weight of that truck is on that invoice minus fuel

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I obivously need to get back out with just the truck and get it weighed.The dry weight of the 5'r is certified from the factory, no options add at dealership. So if I get the truck total weight front and back axle weight, I would pretty well know exactly where I'm at.

Flyone