Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
New Camper

First post

I've got a 2012 CF27RKX on order - my first trailer! My tow vehicle is a 2007.5 (new body style) Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab Standard Bed (6' 6"). The truck has a B&amp;W Turnover Ball hitch, so I was planning to use the B&amp;W Companion 5th wheel hitch. Does anybody on the forum have a similar setup? If so, I'm looking for feedback on what kind of turning radius I can expect from the rig. The trailer has a pretty heavily rounded front cap, so I'm not expecting any clearance issues for normal maneuvering</span>... What I'm wondering is if I'll be able to pull off a 90 degree swing with that setup? I know I have some flexibility with the Companion as to where I mount the posts, but I'm guessing I still won't have enough clearance to turn 90 degrees with the 6' 6" box.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
gtb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Your question is both simple and complex. When people start talking 90 degrees, the question is 90 degrees between the truck and trailer or a 90 degree turn? A true 90 degree turn only requires a truck to trailer angle of around 45-50 degrees max. Asfar as true turning radius is concerned, you are limited by the truck's steering cut which is around 36-37 degrees, not the truck to trailer angle, when making a 90 degree turn.
But more likely you mean actual truck to trailer angle. With the GM truck and the new front cap design you will be good for 80+ degrees. I honestly don't know the actual number, never had a problem with my GM 6'-6" truck and the old cap design, so can't see why it would be a problem with the new cap. I've had a slider hitch for 9 yrs and never found a real need to use it so I'm actually thinking of switching back to fixed legs on the hitch.

But IMO, the bottom line is 90 degrees truck to trailer angle is neither necessary or desirable. The greater the angle, the more stress is put on the trailer springs, spring mounts, bearings, tires and wheels. And any turn that needs 90 degrees can still be accomplished by taking more time jockeying back and forth with slightly smaller angles. A more technical answer is; at true 90 degrees, ZERO percent of the truck's horsepower is available to move the trailer forwards or backwards and 100% of the horsepower is applying stress on the structure of the trailer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
New Camper

Larry,

Thanks for the comprehensive response! I was indeed referring to 90 degrees between the truck and the trailer for backing up. I don't think I'll ever need it, and I know it's hard on the trailer/tires, but I was just curious more than anything.

Most of the guys on Duramax Forum say a slider is either unnecessary or they've never used the one they have. I really like the idea of the B&amp;W Companion</span>, but it's not a slider... I just wanted to try and get some feedback from other Cruiser owners that I'll be OK without the slider. Honestly, I'd be very surprised if I can do the 90 degree "jack knife" without the slider - but I'd probably never need to.

The reason why I'm being overly cautious is I'm currently a single guy, so there may be times when I'm jockeying the trailer on my own. That was part of the reason why I went with a fifth wheel versus a standard TT... Tows better, shorter overall length, more maneuverable</span>, easier to hitch up, etc. My second set of eyes when other friends aren't around will be a Swift Hitch wireless camera positioned strategically outside the rig.

I just don't want to be the next YouTube video of a guy taking out his back cab window with his 5er

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

You can see a picture of my get up in the signature. Ram Quad Cab with 6.6 bed. I have a reese 16k slider. I believe the best that can be done on my setup is around 70 to 80 degrees. I have bumped the top of the cab but fortunately no damage. Plus I have to be carefull with the slide forward. It's tight.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

gtb75,
Absolutely true you can't do 90 degrees w/o a slider, but as you have learned from others, it really isn't necessary. I started with a GM short bed before anyone even offered slider hitches, so I learned to be careful and take my time. If it won't fit the first time, just take another run at it.

When you get the backup camera, don't pay so much attention to it that you forget to look out the back window of the truck, the fiver cap will be right at eye level, hard to miss.

The B&amp;W Companion is a good hitch, just a little heavy. And you can't use it with a Sidewinder pivot pin box w/o adding extra bolts.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
New Camper

I did discover this last night: http://tweetys.com/colibert-207bw-ra...ch-system.aspx

It would help the issue and isn't much more than the Companion, but is probably a lot heavier to move around... The Companion can be pretty easily removed by one person. The more I read, the more I think the Companion will meet my needs if I use the rearmost position for the two uprights the head mounts on. I've read a number of posts of people towing a "new style" front cap camper (Cruiser, Jayco, Heartland, etc.) with GM 6' 6" bed trucks having no clearance issues with the Companion. I don't know if it has to do with the height of the cab relative to the hitch on the GM's or the extra few inches the Companion gives you, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for most based on what I've read.

If anybody else has feedback on the issue, I'd love to hear it!

Edited by: gtb75

2007.5 Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax

2012 CF27RKX (on order)