Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a new 2010 31 RE. When one of us takes a shower water spurts out of the bathroomsink and gets the counter all wet. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to solve this. Craig & Ginger
Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

That's interesting... Water is coming up from the sink drain and not staying in the tub?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I would call your dealer, or preferably the factory right away.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Sounds like your vaccum breaker isn't working right. It's a simple fix, check under your sink in the bathroom, there should be a pipe there with a vent, that's the vacuum break and prevents the gurggling and spurting you are having.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

The same thing happened to us last year.

I was supposed to check the roof vents to make sure they were not clogged.

Good Luck

Kamper Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Did you have any luck resolving this condition.

Kamper Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

No not yet, Thanks for asking. I had it back to the dealer and they said the vent pipes were to close to the covers andthat wascausing a vacuum and they fixed the problem. When we took it out for the first time this yearthis pastweekend the same thing happened. In fact when the wife was in the shower the drain stopper in the sink blew up and out. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but i am going to look under the sink to see if i can see a vacuum breaker that mwebber is talking about. I would do it now but we store our 5er at a storage facility and its not home right now. Do you know anything about a vacuum breaker? Thanks to everyone that replied. Craig P.S. We love this 5er
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Don't you love it when a dealer says they fixed your problem and they never even checked to see if the symtomswent away. That's why I try to stay as far away from those guys as I can. If there is any chance that I can fix it myself ,I do it. I did take mine in a couple of times for the "MANDATORY ANNUAL INSPECTION" and had them take care of a couple of warranty items. They screwed them both up. One was a blister on the side, that I had to take back twice before they fixed it right. The other item I just reworked it myself.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

This is what I think I know from experience concerningVacuum Breakers on waste and vent plumbing.

All of home plumbing drainsmust be vented.Your drains at home all have a trap to block sewer gas from entering your home but beyondevery trap there will be a riser that connects to a stack. The sewer stack is most likely sticking up through the roof of your home. As the water rushes down the drain air can enter through the stack and not suck the water out of other drain traps to relieve the suction. You drains aresupposed to haveaccess to the a stack connectionwithin 10-15'.

Now if you live in the country and can plumb your ourdrains and you happen to be more that 15' from your stack then you can install a Vacuum Breaker beyond the trap. (a spring holding a ping pong ball on to a seal)Now as the water rushes down the sewer pipe air can be pulled in throughthe vacuum breaker. The spring loaded features of the breaker will not allow sewer gas to vent into the house.

I still have no idea why our drains are blowing water everywhere.

My only thought is that as the tub drains into the gray water tank the tank becomes pressurized and then relieves itself through another drain and not through a stack. Hence; a plugged vent from the tank could be at fault. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. I do know that running the water out slowly works. I would be checking the vents stick out of the RV roof.

Good Luck to us both.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Harvette,

I've been thinking.... I know that can be dangerous for me.

If my theory is correct about the vent being blocked:
  1. <LI>Then it seems that going up on the roof, removing the vent cover and pouring water into the vent pipemight confirm this. I would have the DW standing watch so that the RV doesn't flood.</LI>

<LI>This condition should not happen with thegray water drain gate open and connected to a sewer or dump station. The tank could not be pressurized.</LI>

Next time me have a hookup I'm going to try this out.

Kamper Dave
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

It sounds like to me that you don't have a vent at all. The hose Idea is great just leave one gray tank open at a time and if water comes out you know it should vent.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

The vent pipe could also be too far into the gray water tank and would be blocked by a small amount of water in the tank.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

We will be going camping next weekend and i will leave the gray valve open to see if i have the venting issue. Russ-Carol might be right. I checked the vacumm breaker and it seems ok to me but what do i know lol. Its going back to the dealer this june anyway because i am upgrading to 16 inch wheels and tires and i will have them look at it again. By the way i will have my 15 inch aluminum wheels and tires up for sale. They have around 1500 miles on them and are off our 2010 31 RE Cruiser. Craig
Old 10-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Were you able to resolve this problem? Please post what you found.

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote