Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Seasonal Camper

My regulator is set to 75psi. (also have a gauge on the incoming pressure) Just encase. Never seen it over 65 at camp grounds. If the pressure is under 65. I bypass it. I want the higher flow because regulators are so restricting without spending the 'BIG" bucks. My water filter is a higher flow rate, Way above what a garden hose can offer.

Garden/hook up hoses swelling is probably due to age and Uv break down or damage to the material (bending,Twisting,Kinking) I have countless hose reels and hoses outside in the summer sun for years. 1,000's of feet and connections. All black hoses. No swelling at a average 100/120psi. Had a plastic connection break at 135, once. Probably ran it over with the tractor though or a faulty pc. Not going to blame pressure. A garden hose at 135 psi feels like a wire or solid rubber driving over it with the tractor. No POP.

No pressure from hot hoses in the sun unless it is a sealed at both ends. If the water tap is on . The pressure is absorbed into the grounds water system (volume and area of underground pipes. Unless you have a back flow prevention device.

Trivia question, Say black .625 (5/8 ID) hose 12f long. Filled with 50 degree city water, capped and seal sealed at 65psi. Take that section of hose and toss in the blazing hot sun for the day. say 140 Degrees. You can wait the whole day, But i would bet it would take an hour or two. What would the pressure be, Don't forget to take in affect the hose expansion to a larger diameter when softening up. Say .125 (1/8) " stretch id minimum. So a .750 ID hot finished size (more area) 65 psi cold.. worst case hot ? (approx will do because it gets complicated with stretch (material type and all))

My regulator is just a pc of mind for me. Hardly used it in 10 years.

?, What is the flow rate of a $18 RV "cheapo" inline hose regulator? Curious. I can't find any that actually show the flow rates.
My goal is a 5 gpm shower. Anything less feels like a dribble.. Honey, going to take a "dribble"

Interesting read. Old article but a goodie..
http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/PressReg.shtml

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
Seasonal Camper

Hey Tator,

Here are the pictures I promised a few months ago. Been busy as heck and havent even been out camping yet. The pics are below. Any questions let me know.

Brian

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Brian,
Thanks so much, hate to be a pain, what is the device after the white filter going into the trailer? Is that a backflow preventer? I use a regulater but I always install that at the water faucet ahead of my hose. And, lastly, that case, is it just something you found or is it from a specialty store...it is perfect. BTW are you going to the rally by chance? I'm dropping my unit at CR on the 10th and heading up to Owosso, MI for 3 days to visit friends and my son. He is transferring there this week from Portland, OR. He will be managing the Nike store in Birch Run.

Thanks again, great pictures,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Hi Tator,

Your not a pain at all.

The regulator is after the white filter housing. The regulator is fromRvwaterfliterstore.com and is this model Watts Brass Model N55BG It has an elbow on the top which I added so it would fit in the case with the pressure gauge attached to it.

The filters are, the blue one got from a garage sale for $5.00 and is made by Culligan. The other white oneis a GE I got from Home Depot.

The case I think came from Home Depot. It has latches on it to hold the lid shut, wheels on one end of it so it can be rolled or carried,and it holds about 150 ft of hose along with the filters and regulator. I cut out on each side so the lid can be shut while it is being used. I just made some notches so the hose goes out the two top sides opposite each other.

No Im not going to make it to the rally this year. The wife cant get the time off work. Maybe next year.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote