Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water Leak in hall closet & Under Bed

Well it is time to get the 5th wheel ready for the travel season and we went through our Cruiser yesterday. Lo and behold we discovered across the bottom back of the hall closet fuzzy mold and dampness. Also the left bottom wall corner of the bed was damp. The only cause I can think of is a leak in the bedroom slide. Any ideas or thoughts of wisdom? We are thinking of resealing the bedroom slide. Does anyone know what kind of sealant I should use?

Tim (I'm anxious to hit the road) Kittleson
terryjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

What model and year?

I had water intrusion and the bed slide had to be completely re-built.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Oh no. Ours is a 2013 Cruiser Patriot 335SS. Where was your water showing up inside the trailer and how was it entering from the bedroom slide. This all happened with the slideout closed for the winter.

Tim
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

On ours (read my postings):
The slide was not properly sealed at all seams when it was built. Sealing tape was on only 50% of the area that needed to be sealed. We always noted a musty smell in the closet. The fiberglass started cracking where the rollers come in contact with the bottom of the slide (water damage weakened the wood under the fiberglass). Then the walls began to loosen and the slide would get stuck going in and out. The front slide motor damaged the gear rail on the top when it finally failed.

When the shop took the slide apart they noted the water damage and replace the bottom and both sides of the slide. Also, they replaced the slide out drive system - rails and motors.

They were told by crossroads to remove three of the five "exterior" rollers - well that caused more problems again - fiberglass cracking again. They re-installed the three rollers removed in 2012 and re-installed them last fall. Also, they put steel plates under the slide where the rollers come in contact with the bottom of the slide. I think the 2013 and 2014 models have 4 rollers. and no steel plates.

Other issues we had - there were no rollers under the bed so it would drag on the carpet and caused problems with the slide going in and out. They installed 4 rollers under the bed - two at the end and two further in. This was done in 2012 - also they moved the slide controller to the storage compartment.

If you still have the controller under the bed instead of the compartment near the front jack controller you may have a similar design like our 2012 model (built in 2011).

Ours was in the shop for 2 1/2 months in the fall of 2012 and 2 months in the fall of 2013 for bed slide related issues.

I completely rebuild the bed - poorly supported and it pulled away from the slide wall twice. The shop did a poor job on the repairs the first time and it pulled out again. I finally fixed it after it pulled away the second time.

I have pictures and can send you all the info on our slide re-build. Send me a PM is you want pictures.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

By chance any of this work done on warranty? Our 2012 335SS is showing these signs but I thought it was due to a failed upper seal on the slide. All the rubber had turned to mush.

2012 335SSFD Patriot
2013 F-350 Crew 4x4 Diesel
KF9TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Bedroom Seal turning to Mush

Hi, We just got back from our first trip this year and while closing the bedroom slide, buckets of water started coming in down the side of the slide (it had been raining). When we got home we looked up at the seal and ours is shredded and a gooey mess, almost like tar. Every time we bring the slide in and out it is sticking to the slideout and getting worse. Have no idea how this happened. We live in the Pacific NW and we don't get that much hot weather and the trailer was covered from Oct. - Mid May. Strange! It is going in on Wednesday for a new seal. We checked all the other seals and they are fine. Getting the sticky tar like seal off is a mess!
Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Do you treat the seals on your camper periodically with any type of silicone?

Some here use this one.
http://www.amazon.com/303-Aerospace-...=sr_1_9&sr=8-9

Slide toppers are another good ins. for helping to prevent water on the slides coming in.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote