Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to dhasenwinkle
I am looking at having a Winegard sk-7003 (Shaw Direct) mount installed on our 2011 CF325CKP Cruiser fifth wheel trailer. Crossroads tell me there is a prep plate on the top where the unit should be installed. My unit is currently a fewhundredmiles away having some warranty work done, so I can't climb up to find this plate (right now). I would prefer to have it installed on the back slope above (of near) the entertainment center. I know that there would be a wedge required to mount the unit level. The dealer wants to install it on the top flat spot on the trailer, but I am resisting this, as it would add 12 inches to the over all height of the trailer with the unit in the parked position for travelling.

My question is, have any of you already gone through this and can you give me your advise as to where you have located a Winegard unit? And or anything else that we should be considering? All I could find in scanning the previous topics is about the Winegard batwing antenna.
dhasenwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We bought a portable Winegard unit for Shaw when we bought the Seville 2 years ago. Still never set it up. We are going to do that shortly (this month) and hopefully I have it right. We have the portable legs for it. Decided not to get a roof mount in case the thing started to leak. Never know.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We have the wineguard crankup now on the back slope of the roof slightly angled so when down it sets on the-roof flat. Works very well compared to the stupid Jensen that it came with.JMHO. Jb
Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Just a follow up. Crossroads now tell me they made a mistake and there is no prep plate on the roof to our trailer. So I asked for a schematic of the existing TV (Cable and Satellite) wiring and the location of any splitters in the system. Their answer is "they don't have any drawings of the wiring." I find that really really tough to believe, but what do I know.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I also find it hard to believe they would not have a wiringschematic of your trailer. How would they know where to look for things if problems or questions arise. I know in 08 I got a copy of the wiring and AC duct work schematic for our trailer from Xroads.</span>
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

OK, this is just a follow up. Since I could not find anyone else that has done this, I designed a wedge for the back slope, and had it constructed out of 1/8" aluminum. The Winegard Trav'ler Shaw Direct system was installed today. Not quite complete, as the wiring to the bedroom TV has not been completed as yet. There are two cables to each TV area so that a PVR system can be placed at either or both locations. The main reason for locating the system on the rear slope, was to avoid increasing the overall height of the trailer, and this locates the unit behind the A/C unit. The wedge was designed so that I can move my backup camera from its current location on the ladder, and mount it on the back of the wedge.
The system seems to be working great for the living room TV. I will be taking and posting some pictures later if there is any interest.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Always interested in mods.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

OK. I can't get the pictures posted here, so the following link goes to a web site with the pictures.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/gallery/dhasenwinkle/
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

WOW - quite a mod - looks like it was done right. This should be an option on the CrossRoads units

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote