Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello all,
I am looking at upgrading to a new TV. I currently have a 2001 F150 Lariat with the 5.4l Triton engine and 3.55 gear. I am looking at getting into a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost engine with a max tow package (3.73 gear). The trailer I will be towing is a 2012 Zinger 26bl.
Does anybody currently have an F150 with the Ecoboost? How does it performtowingyour trailer or any trailer.What are the Pros and Cons with the truck or engine? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Parma Heights, Ohio

2012 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew(ECOBOOST)

2012 Zinger 26BL

https://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_2798-1.jpg
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Team

My Son is currently in the market for a new truck. He wants to get rid of his diesel and has been thinking about the Eco Boost. I was curious about it myself, so I started asking questions down at the garage. The owner is Ford from the middle both ways.
He said---tell him to go with the 5.4. It's been around for a long time and has a proven record. The Eco Boost might get a couple MPG more, but unless you are going to be on the HWY a lot, he didn't think it would be worth it. Then he went on to say---the Eco Boost has "two" turbos, and they are both in the exhaust. Can you imagine what it would cost to work on that baby.
There, that should get me some heat from some of the Ford boys.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I would pay as much attention to the rear gears as I would the power plant.
Can you get a 4:10 option? But then again,,,,there goes the mpg when you are not towing.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I think it all depends on how often you tow the camper, how long the trips are, if you really like camping and may decide to upgrade to a fiver in a few years. If you look at the signatures of the members you will see that a lot of them tow with F-250, 2500 Chev or Dodge diesels. You really have to examine what you plan to do with your truck and camper and then decide based on the 80/20 rule and which brand suits your preferences.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

A camping buddy has one...it is a nice truck but I am not sold on the towing power. Trailer Life magazine tested one with a 5000# trailer. They liked it, but were skeptical on actual real-world towing of anything heavier. They also commented on 9-10mpg towing and small, 26gal. fuel tank.

Here is link: http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/t...urbo-ecoboost/
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the input everyone. It was helpful. After doing more research i was looking at a 3.73 gear. i am being told you can not get a 4.10 gear unless you get into a f250. The engine options are the 3.5 ltr ecoboost, 5.0 ltr V8 or the 6.2 ltr V8. Guess I will test drive and do some more research.

Parma Heights, Ohio

2012 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew(ECOBOOST)

2012 Zinger 26BL

https://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_2798-1.jpg
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I towaCR30re with a09 F150 crew cab short box, with a 3.73 trans and a 5.4 Triton. Ford maks a great truck for towing...the only problem is they put P rated tires on from the factory(basically passenger tires that will give you a great ride, but not made for towing,only 2 ply sidewalls.)You will need a good sway control hitch. I have a Husky with sway cams. expensive but well worth the peace of mind while towing. I also have Timbren supports on the rear end.

Gary & Judy

Special Olympian Nic,

and Cody,the Chocolate Wonderdog

ST30RE
Chz hed campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I know the ecoboost tends to get good reviews on towing on another RV forum I am on. Which exact setup they have, I am not sure. I can tell you that I would get the beefiest one you can. I have the same TT as you just a year older and it is a great trailer but does require a good truck to tame it. Enjoy your new rig!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Food for thought:Look at the oil capacity on the Ecoboost. That is the blood of your motor.
Most of the Turbo diesels are running three gallons or more.
When towing, mine is in boost most of the time and that is tough on oil. "Lot's of heat" especially with a factory exhaust and going through the mountains.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

All this talk about the EcoBoost got me looking. I guess I'm just old school but there isn't any substitute for cubic inches when it come to towing. I know the numbers on the Eco look great, HP & Torque, but that is a 210 CI V6 motor and to generate those numbers it's just working too hard for me.

YMMV
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We tried to skimp on our tow vehicle when we started looking for campers. Of course a sales guy will sell you anything and tell you your truck will pull it, it might just be a little slower. We finally got a great deal on an f350 dually crew cab which opened our door to any camper that we could afford. Our Zinger is 11,700 fully loaded. I can't image pulling that with anything less that what we have. We pulled over Jellico Mtn in Tennessee at 60mph and were passing semi's. I am certain you won' t be climbing many hills with that kind of weight behind an F150. I wish you the best in your search. Hold out for the right deal you will find what you need and canafford. It took us1 year to find a truck and 2 years to buy a camper. We couldn't be happier with the decisions we made to go slow and not compromise for what we wanted.

2010 Zinger 31SB
tabrown2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
New Camper

The Ecoboost is a very durable and tough tested motor. It has 6 bolt mains, just like some diesels do. I have a friend who is using two of them in an airplane. The engineers have really done their homework on this motor. The word is getting out- Ecoboost sales are now over 48% of Ford pickup sales. They can't make them fast enough. It is the perfect solution for those that have to use a pickup as a daily driver, but tow a TT for recreation. Besides, that 0-60 totally embarrasses the new Camaro owner next door! If you are nice to it, you'll get around town mileage in the 20's, upper teens if you aren't. It is well suited for anything under 9000lbs., anything more than that you need more chassis than a F-150 has. The F-350 was definitely a proper choice for your TT tabrown2001!

Edited by: Drivenhard
Drivenhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I have a '11 F150 Lariat EcoBoost and tow a '12 Zinger 26BH that weighs about 7000 lbs loaded.

The EcoBoost is a game changer. Yes it is just a 3.5L V6 but add in twin turbos and direct injection and you have a very verycapable power plant.

It easily pulls the trailer and rockets around slower vehicles with a satisfying whoosh sound! I have 420lb-ft of flat torque from 1900 RPM to redline. No sudden spikes and no dips in the torque curve.

Normal daily driving I get 18 MPG. Towing I get 9-12. I couldn't justify getting a diesel just to tow once or twice a month. I wish I had just a bit more payload however. Even though my truck is rated at 10,000 lbs, the payload is only 1450 lbs. That's when a F250 would have been nice.

Wish they put the EcoBoost in the F250

I've had it for almost a year now and don't regret one bit purchasing it over a larger V8.

Todd

Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
New Camper

I just picked up a 260-BH, 6200lbs dry, and have a 2011 F150 supercrew shortbed with a the 5.0L motor and 3.73 gears and the tow package with brake controller. The trailer is the first I have ever towed and it worked great. I averaged 12 mpg on the way home. I got a WD reese hitch with the sway control and it was great, I did turn off the FORD sway control because it was messing up the drive. Once it was off, the drive was uneventful; with it on the truck lurched back and forth, up and down and was a white knuckle ride.

I have heard from others that the Ecoboost is great for towing but at the same time is horrible on gas mileage around town. My guess is the V6, great for power witht he turbos but still a V6 when off boost. The 5.0L will get an average of 17 mpg for my daily highway and local driving for a 60 mile round trip daily drive and 22 for just highway.
crazyphysicsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyphysicsteacher

I just picked up a 260-BH, 6200lbs dry, and have a 2011 F150 supercrew shortbed with a the 5.0L motor and 3.73 gears and the tow package with brake controller. The trailer is the first I have ever towed and it worked great. I averaged 12 mpg on the way home. I got a WD reese hitch with the sway control and it was great, I did turn off the FORD sway control because it was messing up the drive. Once it was off, the drive was uneventful; with it on the truck lurched back and forth, up and down and was a white knuckle ride.

I have heard from others that the Ecoboost is great for towing but at the same time is horrible on gas mileage around town. My guess is the V6, great for power witht he turbos but still a V6 when off boost. The 5.0L will get an average of 17 mpg for my daily highway and local driving for a 60 mile round trip daily drive and 22 for just highway.

IMHO - The 5.0L is a better value, too. Look at price difference between 5.0 and Eco...and you get the wonderful V8 sound with the 5.0L
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Hello

I have a Zinger 31sb and I pull my camper with a F150 with Ecoboost and it pulls fine. Where I notice some issues is with the wieght of the v6 motor. A diesel keeps the front end of the truck planted to the ground the light motor gives the feeling of the front end of the truck being floaty. I put airbags on my rear suspension and still need to play with adjusting the level of my camper. I have only been out on 3 trips a couple hours away last August & September so I am anxious to get back to camping and fine tuning my truck to camper setup.
luvtocamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

May not be as much of a weight of the motor thing as a 1/2ton vs. 3/4ton thing.
That's a big trailer....Keep an eye on weight distribution of your trailer when fully loaded.
I have heard from others the airbags help.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

luvtocamp7</span>
do you have a weight distributing hitch?</span>

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Hello GSXR,

My F150 looks just like your truck but mine has Ecoboost.

Yes, I do have a weight distribution hitch. I just need to spend a good day playing around and getting my levels set right. You have a nice looking camper, looks like you set nice and even and your truck is nice and level, no sag. How much does your camper weigh?

Captain Mike,

I had air bags on my Dodge Ram and they worked well. I highly recommend them.

luvtocamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I love that Blue!yea once you get the hitch set right you should be good even with out the airbags inflated
I just got a new F250 and i think I have the hitch set right it took a few adjustments andmeasuringthewheel wellheights unloaded,loadedand with the WD bars

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote