Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #1
New Camper

2010 19rb tons to fix yikes

Hello everyone. New to camping. Picked up a nice looking zinger 19rb. Thought i got a great deal considering the market but when i got it home and really dug into it found some serious water damage. Spent the weekend tearing it down. Looks like the wheel wells are leaking in to the rear? Front has a drip also that rotted some wood away. Letting it dry now but boy what did I get myself into lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220716_132714_HDR.jpg (418.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20220716_120252.jpg (230.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20220717_140052_HDR.jpg (248.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20220717_140046_HDR.jpg (162.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20220717_173500.jpg (213.8 KB, 13 views)
Schamattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

It looks like you have got a lot of work ahead of you. It's sad that a person unknowingly gets a hold of something like that. Then to top it off, it sounds like you are new to the camper world. That will probably not make the job any easier for you.
Best of luck with your endeavor. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to the forum.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. A lot of great information from members on here. All you have to do is ask and we’re all here to help each other. The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask. We’ve all been there at one time or another.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks guys I was pretty depressed Friday when i realized i got taken for. Found some older threads on people who ran into the same issues with the rear on the zinger 19rb. Still have some more wood to take out near the wheel wells but it's really in good shape otherwise from what I can tell. **** happens im not gonna sit and sulk about it. Gonna try my best to make it usable again and enjoy it.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm sure it will be a experience for you. But with some carpentry skills, I'm sure you can accomplish the task.
Been there, done that. (what an ordeal)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Back in the day the wife and I bought a 15 ft Play-Mor that had a "little" water damage. When we tore into it it was a mess. So we rented a storage unit 15 x 30 and over one late summer and fall rebuilt it. Ended up removing all the siding and metal roof and replacing/rebuilding more than half of the wood frame. But when we got finished it was better than new and we got several years out of it.

Just take your time and you can do it. My recommendation is now that you have opened the walls and can see find the leaks and fix them ASAP. Once you have the exterior shell water tight then the damage repair can begin.

Best of luck and do not forget there a lot of knowledgeable and seasoned folks here that are ready to help.

Also Welcome to the forum and the Crossroads Family!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #7
New Camper

Well the hardest part is determining where the water is coming in. The front looks like the upper seam assembly is leaking. Caulk on the outside is cracking and peeling. Ordered some real rv caulk to redo and seal everything up. Im more nervous about the rear. Looks like it funnels away from the wheel wells so possibly intrusion there. Also looks like some water leakage coming down the rear so more re caulking of all the points there.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Team

I would use Eternabond tape at the top where the cap meets the roof. front and back. If there are seems on the roof, Eternabond them also.
Make sure you clean the roof first before you put the tape on.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Been there. Its no fun being taken or to have a problem trailer. But look on the bright side. If the layout is what you want and you're handy then think of how much you'll learn about the inner workings of your trailer. That knowledge will be worth much as you enjoy your "rebuilt better" trailer. There will always be sonething to fix.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I bought a 12' funfinder earlier this year. Have to replace everything in the front end except for the shell, and it needs an entire new roof including inside ceiling, lights and vents, joists, decking, and membrane. I knew what I was getting into though and I only paid $600 for it. I could have paid someone to so it, but I enjoy the work, and it will be better than new when I am done with it.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:06 AM   #11
New Camper

Havnt posted in a while thought I'd share updates. Used eternabond and rv caulk with good results. Dry on light rain. But on heavy rain one area still has a small trickle. Also put flooring in the rear. Progress is slow but moving.