Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
New Camper

2010 Zt-300bh

I have 2 questions. We did not have a manual for our trailer. How do I find out how much our fresh water tank holds?
Second, we just got home from camping, put the slide out to clean the trailer and pulled it back in. We have never had it open in the rain and wanted to make sure it would not leak. So i just went to put it out and it will not open. Only makes a clicking sound when I try to extend it.
ibeetaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

First thing to check would be the battery to be sure it's charged.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
New Camper

Its plugged in
Old 11-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Even if is plugged in and the battery is dead there is a good chance that the slide won't operate.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 11-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
Even if is plugged in and the battery is dead there is a good chance that the slide won't operate.

I agree with Russ.

You should check out each cell on the battery/batteries. That's about the only way to be sure where it's at.

I'm not familiar with the RV you have, but most of the cross road rigs are around the 50 gal. range. Maybe could add a little for the water heater.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

2013 brochure has them at 54 gallons fresh and 40 for each grey and black. HWT at 6 gallons.
As mentioned a battery cell(s) may be toast.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
New Camper

Our battery is less than a year old. We just used it while we were dry camping in the desert. And it was fine.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Try to start to open slide with the manual crank, then try the switch once you have manually begun to open the slide.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

dont hate me , but are you pushing the switch in the right direction? Also if all lights and water pump work while unplugged , your battery is good.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
New Camper

I doubled check that I was pushing it in the right direction�� I've never had an issue with it. We just got home from desert camping. Our battery worked fine while we were there. Dont think it's a battery issue. Even when we got our trailer last year. The battery was bad and the slide out opened while it was plugged in.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Site Team

On our Cruiser we can open and close the slides without the battery. The wife just got something from the camper and the battery is in the shop. Just plug it in and push the switch.

As someone said try to run it out a little by hand using the bypass. It may have a bad spot in the motor and is not making good contact. Also you will eliminate the slide binding up and that would leave either a bad motor or wiring problems.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Look behind the switch. My wire popped off and slide wouldn't work. Took off switch panel and saw the connection was loose. Checked all the other ones also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
New Camper

This is what it looks like underneath. Not sure where you would crank it manually
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181202_134015.jpg (210.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20181202_134030.jpg (166.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20181202_134052.jpg (165.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
Site Team

In the first picture the "can" with the threaded rod and nuts is the end of the motor actuator. The motor is located under the underbelly on the other end of that shaft closer to the other side of the camper. On my Cruiser one slide has a hole in the frame to access the motor on the other slide you have to cut a access hole in the underbelly to reach the motor. Then you use a wrench on the motor to run the slide in or out. Lippert has a good video on YouTube about this. Good to know if you are ever need to move your slide and the motor does not work.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

ibeetaken,
If you plan to do much dry camping, or camping without shore power, you should really have a good meter to read the voltages in your charging system and battery. You should not rely on the battery gauge in your RV.
If you have the original battery in your RV, it is barely adequate, and won't last long. It also generally needs water added each time before you charge it. I would look into more battery(ies) for the future.
IF you rely on the RV charging system to charge your battery, be aware it will take a few days to get to full capacity. Also, your charging system in your tow vehicle will be very inadequate.
Did you ever get your slideout issue fixed? We'd like to hear how that went.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
New Camper

We also have a generator with us. So we dont solely rely on our battery. When our trailer is home we keep it plugged in. We purchased a new battery in January for our trailer.
We did get out slide out open. We manually cranked it a few times. It opened after that.
Sorry been battering a migraine all week. I ment to update on the slide out.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Perhaps a little maintenance on the slide gear and toothed rail would help alleviate that problem again. I noticed a fair amount of rusty looking dust on the gears and rails. I would recommend you liberally spray the gears and rails with `Dry lube', both while in and out. Don't get any on your RV sides. It wipes off easily, but may damage the finish.
Dry lube is like a powder when dry, but the propellant has a cleaning property. So, it won't collect dust and dirt like wet lubes. It's biggest problem is it doesn't last when in use.
I admit that I don't know what the manufacturer recommends, I have a different, cable system.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
New Camper

We have only had the trailer for a year. We cleaned them when we got it and sprayed the gears. I will look into cleaning them more and spraying the gears again.
We think that coming down the bumpy road leaving the desert. It made a bolt come loose, letting the slide go in to far when we closed it when we got home after cleaning the trailer. We have marked the spot to make sure it stays where it needs to be so it wont happen again.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

You will crank the slide from other side of camper. For instance if your slide is on the drivers side. There will be a small hole on the opposite side where you insert the long cranking tool to crank the slide manually.https://youtu.be/o_3vc0STmfI

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
Site Team

Or on some you have to open the underbelly and use a wrench on the motor. I have a access hole for the kitchen slide but the opposite slide you have to access it from under the camper. If it did have a access hole it would be behind the tire and you could not use anyways.

If you go to the Lippert site and look up in frame slides there is a good service manual on how and where to lube it. I will see if I can find the link.

Tags
fresh water, slide out