Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2013 Zinger 28BHS - Inverter location and specs?

Does anyone know where the inverter (not the converter) is located on the travel trailer? Also, does anyone know the specs such as wattage? I know that it powers the TV 12V dc connection, lights, slide, and water pump but was wondering if it also powered any outlets. I'm looking to have more power at the 12V plug to power a TV and a few other low wattage electronic devices.
dumars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We may have some confusion. An inverter changes 12VDC to 120VAC to provide power to AC outlets, and depending on size, microwave. You would have a large bank of batteries if you had an inverter. I don't see an inverter listed in the CR information on Zingers.
The converter changes 120VAC shore power to 12VDC. That is the power that keeps the trailer battery charged, lights the lights, provides circuitry power to furnace and fridge, powers the water pump, etc. All 12VDC stuff. Very few trailers now have a 12VDC outlet, and if they do (like on my Z-1), it's only a low-amperage one on the Winegard powered antenna plate. (because the amplifier is also 12VDC).
There are a lot of people here who wish to have 12VDC outlets, in the form of the "cigarette lighter" plug, or otherwise, and you will find some discussions elsewhere in this forum. There are a lot of 12VDC appliances (fans, lights, televisions, etc) that could be used in a boondocking (no shore power) situation. Wiring (and fusing) will be on your own, and popular tap-off places are at the outlet of the converter or direct from the battery.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

So there is a 12v dc (cigarette lighter plug) by the TV. In the past I used a store bought small wattage inverter to obtain AC plugs to plug in my TV but it has tripped- not sure if my inverter was too small or there was too much of load on the 12v plug. This is the plug I am talking about - is there a wattage limitation on it? Sorry for the confusion.
dumars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Yes, as I recall, that TV outlet/12VDC outlet has an internal fuse, about 8 amps. Not counting whatever amp fuse powers the circuit from the converter. Remove the two screws, and carefully pull away from the wall. The rest will be obvious. It sounds like you overloaded the little guy. It's designed to power a small TV, nothing more. It may have been the confusion regarding this outlet that has caused some designs to drop the outlet all together. Sad.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote