Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Smile A few questions for a newbie with 2010 Zinger ZT31SB Travel Trailer

hi everyone,
My wife and I am really excited to be a part of this community.
I have a few questions as a total newb.
I'll number them so you can just use the number as reference for answering whichever ones you feel inclined to address.
Thank you!

1) The only RV manual I could find is a generic crossroads zinger of 2014, but my Zinger is 2010 ZT31SB. Does a manual exist for my exact model?

2) A good replacement handle for the screen door. (it's broken off)

3) On the front of the trailer, just outside by the battery, are a series of connectors. They have no cap. Does one exist? What is it called and where might I get a new one? (please see attachment 20210414_101023.jpg)

4) My outside speakers are blown - looking for replacements. Where might I get those?

5) When my lights are on inside the trailer, a cooling fan turns on inside the fuse box. The more lights are on, the louder the fan is. Is that normal?
My lights look like the original lights from 2010. They are hot as heck and probably drawing a lot of wattage. Would switching to LEDs calm down the loud fan? And... are there any mods to quieten the fan?

6) I am pulling this trailer with the F150 Ecoboost 2018. I just bought a 1200 Equal-I-zer hitch with anti-sway and weight distribution. Will that make driving this much easier, or might I also consider these airtab fuel savers and RV stabilizers? Does anyone have any experience with them that might like to comment? Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210414_101023.jpg (345.0 KB, 13 views)
Zingy Light Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingy Light Fury View Post
hi everyone,
My wife and I am really excited to be a part of this community.
I have a few questions as a total newb.
I'll number them so you can just use the number as reference for answering whichever ones you feel inclined to address.
Thank you!

1) The only RV manual I could find is a generic crossroads zinger of 2014, but my Zinger is 2010 ZT31SB. Does a manual exist for my exact model?
No.

2) A good replacement handle for the screen door. (it's broken off)
Check Amazon.

3) On the front of the trailer, just outside by the battery, are a series of connectors. They have no cap. Does one exist? What is it called and where might I get a new one? (please see attachment 20210414_101023.jpg)
I'm not sure, but if that is right on the front of the trailer, I would think there must be a cover for it.

4) My outside speakers are blown - looking for replacements. Where might I get those?

5) When my lights are on inside the trailer, a cooling fan turns on inside the fuse box. The more lights are on, the louder the fan is. Is that normal? Yes.
My lights look like the original lights from 2010. They are hot as heck and probably drawing a lot of wattage. Would switching to LEDs calm down the loud fan? And... are there any mods to quieten the fan? LED's will draw less electricity, run way cooler, and the fan will more than likely not even be noticeable.

6) I am pulling this trailer with the F150 Ecoboost 2018. I just bought a 1200 Equal-I-zer hitch with anti-sway and weight distribution. Will that make driving this much easier, or might I also consider these airtab fuel savers and RV stabilizers? Does anyone have any experience with them that might like to comment? Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application
I'm not sure if you have a heavy enough Equalizer. Plus I think you might have more trailer than your F150 is going to like.
Thank you!
By the way,welcome aboard.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I'm not sure if you have a heavy enough Equalizer. Plus I think you might have more trailer than your F150 is going to like.
Thank you!
Thanks Lloyd. We've looked at this for a while, and have heard varying opinions. No doubt a F250 would be a sure thing, but we've heard from plenty of people that the F150 ecoboost handles this sort of a setup adequately.
the rating of the 1200 Equal-i-zer is for 12,000lbs trailer weight. We won't be getting near that. The dry weight of the trailer is 7300lbs. Am I missing something?
Old 04-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

#5 that's the cooling fan on your converter, with those halogen lights using up battery power, it will kick on/off regularly.
#6 too much rv with too little truck. That rv has a GVWR of over 11000lbs, nearly 36' long & at the average of 13% tongue weight you could be at 1400+lbs tongue weight. Check the yellow/white tag on the drivers door jamb of your F150, that's the payload of THAT truck, guessing 1500-2000lbs. Payload is everyone/everything in/on that truck that didn't come from the factory + tongue weight (+/-1400lbs) + the weight of the WDH (100+/- lbs).
FYI, the dry weight of any rv means absolutely nothing to the customer, that's the weight it rolled out the factory door, no batteries, no propane, no liquids, no dealer added options. You nor any other rv owner will ever tow their rv at or near it's dry weight, it's a useless number.
Also the max tow weight rating of any truck is also useless in the rv world. Truck manufacturers arrived at these numbers hauling utility type trailers with the load directly over the axles considerably lightening the tongue weights, which in no way compares to towing RVs that you can't move the weights around.
Yes your F150 can "move" that rv with ease, but it can not "carry" that much load safely within the weight limits of that truck. I would guess you will be overloaded on payload, rear axle weight & GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the F150.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

LED’s will make a big difference how often that fan kicks in. I switched all mine two years ago. Load test battery too as it may also be weak.
The 1200 lb bars will be good. Ratings are for tongue weight, WD hitch weight and any weight in the box of the truck behind the axle.
Big trailer for 1500 but Ford’s payload are pretty high compared to other trucks. Determine loaded weight and find out from your owners what GCVWR of your truck is. Best to scale your truck and trailer loaded.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
Site Team

Here is a link for outside waterproof speakers. Match the size and power of your present speakers. Info should be somewhere on your speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=outdoor+r..._ts-doa-p_2_19

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
Gone Traveling

Speaking of your #4 question, when you get the speakers replaced just be aware you may not be the only one in the campground & others may not have your taste in music, so adjust the volume that you can hear it, but not the entire campground.
The same goes for an outdoor tv!
We've been to several parks where there's always "that guy" with either very crappy music blaring throughout the campground or has 5-6 guys over watching a ballgame all drinking heavily, I have no problem with doing either, but they get louder with the profanity & more obnoxious with every quarter of the game disrupting the entire campground.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Mark...There is no link for the speakers in your post...

PS...Zingy welcome to the forum and congrats on the camper Enjoy...!
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2013 brochure with specs showing following for your camper.
Dry 7558 lbs
CCC 2290 lbs
Hitch 1048 lbs
Axle weight 6510 lbs
Length 35’ 6”

Heavy hitch weight for your 1200 lbs bars. Make sure they’re setup properly.
I can’t stress enough to scale your complete rig hitched and unhitched. This will get you a more accurate weight on everything and keep you within your truck ratings.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Mark...There is no link for the speakers in your post...

.!
Thanks Tommy, I'm loosing it. I forget what I'm doing when I'm doing it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
By the way,welcome aboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Here is a link for outside waterproof speakers. Match the size and power of your present speakers. Info should be somewhere on your speakers.
Thank you very much Mark and Lloyd for the help.
Much appreciated.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
#5 that's the cooling fan on your converter, with those halogen lights using up battery power, it will kick on/off regularly.
#6 too much rv with too little truck. That rv has a GVWR of over 11000lbs, nearly 36' long & at the average of 13% tongue weight you could be at 1400+lbs tongue weight. Check the yellow/white tag on the drivers door jamb of your F150, that's the payload of THAT truck, guessing 1500-2000lbs. Payload is everyone/everything in/on that truck that didn't come from the factory + tongue weight (+/-1400lbs) + the weight of the WDH (100+/- lbs).
FYI, the dry weight of any rv means absolutely nothing to the customer, that's the weight it rolled out the factory door, no batteries, no propane, no liquids, no dealer added options. You nor any other rv owner will ever tow their rv at or near it's dry weight, it's a useless number.
Also the max tow weight rating of any truck is also useless in the rv world. Truck manufacturers arrived at these numbers hauling utility type trailers with the load directly over the axles considerably lightening the tongue weights, which in no way compares to towing RVs that you can't move the weights around.
Yes your F150 can "move" that rv with ease, but it can not "carry" that much load safely within the weight limits of that truck. I would guess you will be overloaded on payload, rear axle weight & GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the F150.
and 660catman wrote
Quote:
I have a 2013 brochure with specs showing following for your camper.
Dry 7558 lbs
CCC 2290 lbs
Hitch 1048 lbs
Axle weight 6510 lbs
Length 35’ 6”

Heavy hitch weight for your 1200 lbs bars. Make sure they’re setup properly.
I can’t stress enough to scale your complete rig hitched and unhitched. This will get you a more accurate weight on everything and keep you within your truck ratings.
First of all, thank you all for chiming in. I appreciate your opinions and am taking everything into careful consideration.
Travelin' Texans - You said the GVWR of the trailer is over 11,000lbs, but according to 660catman, his numbers come to 9800lbs GVWR. (Any way I might have a look at that brochure?)

My 2018 - F150 Ecoboost with max towing package has a GCWR of 16,100 lbs and a Payload of 1908lbs.
I've been crunching numbers and it looks like we're within the acceptable range. Knowing 660catman's 2013 brochure numbers, and my GCWR and payload, does it still look kosher? Texans? 660catman?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

A few questions for a newbie with 2010 Zinger ZT31SB Travel Trailer

Your payload numbers look ok but your GCVWR numbers look tight. This is because I don’t know weight of your truck. My 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew weighs in at 5667 lbs on the scale with a GVWR of 7000 lbs and a combined GCVWR of 15000 lbs. My payload is 1531 but is reduced with added accessories on the truck from factory to 1333 lbs.

And your trailer GVW should be on the tag if you can still read it. They fade fast. The weight is brochure weight which actual weighed weight may be on the paper stuck inside a cupboard door. Mine is on my 2013 Zinger ZT260BH.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
Your payload numbers look ok but your GCVWR numbers look tight. This is because I don’t know weight of your truck. My 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew weighs in at 5667 lbs on the scale with a GVWR of 7000 lbs and a combined GCVWR of 15000 lbs. My payload is 1531 but is reduced with added accessories on the truck from factory to 1333 lbs.

And your trailer GVW should be on the tag if you can still read it. They fade fast. The weight is brochure weight which actual weighed weight may be on the paper stuck inside a cupboard door. Mine is on my 2013 Zinger ZT260BH.
Thank you Catman.
So, yes, it is looking a little tight.
Here's what we got.
The weighed weight inside the door of the cabinet was 7858 lbs.

The curb weight of our F150 is 4769 lbs.
The truck is rated with a 16,100 lbs GCVWR. (GVWR is 7050lbs).

I calculate an approximate 1,193 lbs of tongue weight if the trailer is maxed out. Our max hitch weight is 1320 lbs.

If we max out on the CCC of 2290lbs, that means the total trailer weight will be around 10,150lbs. Plus truck 4769lbs, passengers + gas (full tank) 560 lbs, hitch weight is 120lbs, for a total of 15,599 lbs.
That is tight.
It doesn't include lunch, or children's toys and books, or the change in my pocket. ;-)

We called Ford and were told our GCVWR was 18,000lbs, but upon looking at in the brochures, it says it's 16,100 lbs.

I find all this weight stuff very difficult to get really clear on.
There's quite a bit of uncertainty, even in the Ford company, so many variations, and very little clarity to get clear answers.

Your help is thus much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Yep, the numbers can drive you crazy. Your truck is 900 lbs lighter than my 13 Silverado 1500 Crew cab 4wd.
Your numbers are tight but play it safe when towing. I personally tow at max 60 mph. To me there’s no need to go faster and the 9 mpg is low enough as it is.
If your area is like ours, good luck in finding a camping spot in these covid times. Enjoy the summer!