Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #21
New Camper

Sewn lights

I have an Aspen Trail and the led lights are sewn into the awning as well. It really sucks because the tread wears out and the lights fall down, which is happening as I type. Not sure what the next step is, but a track and replacement lights or just try and stick them back up with DS tape??
Suggestions??

Thanks
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #22
Site Team

Light on camper wall below awning. Can be used with awning out or in.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #23
New Camper

Makes sense, thanks
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:56 AM   #24
New Camper

Just recently had this issue with my led light strip. Same condition sewn into awning. I can’t take credit for the fix but it seems to be working well so far (about 2 weeks now, time will tell). 3M double sided tape (make sure it’s the auto motive kind for applying body trim components and if yours is like mine get the wider tape to cover the stitch holes in the awning), a scotch bright pad and some denatured alcohol. Started by lightly scuffing awning and back of led strip with the scotch pad (roughed surface helps tape bond). Then cleaned both attachment surfaces with A mild detergent to remove any loose surface particulates allowing to dry followed by a final wipe down with the denatured alcohol. Cut 3M tape to length making sure to capture as close to the ends edges as possible(mine is tapered shape at end) . Peal back a little as you go while applying to back of led strip (I held it every 6”-12” for a moment to make sure it bonded well, took a little longer but I don’t want it falling again). Same done for attaching back to awning while making sure that the tape cover the stitch holes. Hope this helps. It took a little time but iI think the effort is worth it.
robE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #25
New Camper

This was a good post to see. We were driving down the road this weekend and noticed our LED light strip (in the rear view mirror) was dangling and dragging on the road. We had to pull off and my wife jumped out and tucked the strip into a window. Same problem: the threads had broken and pulled off all the way down the strip and it was hanging by its wires. Replacing the strip will be a project over the next few weeks. My main concern is whether there will be problems with the awning from the stitch line.

My wife's suggestion is that we "paint" the top of the stitch line with a waterproof fabric glue. Then we'll mount the new strip using 3M double-sided tape (good suggestion above to use automotive type). We'll post how the project comes out.
Johno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, strip, zinger