Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bent rear axel, One season, 2014 Zinger..?

We bought a new Zinger (30 ft.) last April. We also bought the extended warrantee.
I have noticed the rear tires were not following true compared to the front tires, especially when backing up. Dealer told me to take it to a local trailer allignment company. while walking out to check it out, the mechanic said it had a bent rear axel, and did I hit some "pot holes" or have to crank hard into some camp sites.? The tire wear on the inside is definately different than the front tires... but not bad enough to change rubber yet.
Pot holes = No Crank into tight camp sites = yes.
Now the dealer and Rt. 66 extended warrantee are not covering the $1000. 00 repair bill. The dealer warrantee expired in April, the Rt. 66 says in the fine print that they do not cover bent axel's.
I'm kinda concerned about this entire issue.
BTW... I towed a 30 foot travel trailer for over 20 years...the last 10 years with the same H2 Hummer. (1995 Nomad, still in great shape.!) We gave it to my son when we bought this Crossroads.
Any ideas on how I prevent this from happening again.? Some say carry some sand to spread when backing into a camp site.... Really.?
Thanks
swimimg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

making tight turns into/out of a campsite or anywhere else is not good for the axles/tires. BUT, it sometimes needs to be done. What I do is to make sure after the tight turn to pull forward straight for at least 10 ft in order to take the tension off of the suspension. Then back up straight until parked. I can't say if this technique would have saved your axle but it is what I do. I also believe that current axles are not as robust as older RV's (IMHO).
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
making tight turns into/out of a campsite or anywhere else is not good for the axles/tires. BUT, it sometimes needs to be done. What I do is to make sure after the tight turn to pull forward straight for at least 10 ft in order to take the tension off of the suspension. Then back up straight until parked. I can't say if this technique would have saved your axle but it is what I do. I also believe that current axles are not as robust as older RV's (IMHO).
I do the same.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

$1000 to replace one axle is absolute robbery. If you have to pay then go to a machine shop that does trailers and they will most likely install a superior axle than the one that bent for 1/2 the cost.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Stan and Tim:
I always pull forward as well... but maybe not 10 feet, maybe like 5 feet.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Tom

8Iron:
Never thought about a machine shop.... Guess I'll ask to keep the old one, as the new one is being installed today.
Thanks for your thought
Tom
Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Just an FYI....I didn't know that the new axel from Lippert was going to come as a complete unit.... brakes, backing plate..ect. Ready to mount to the frame.
Total axel, shipping and labor = $ 980.78
Old 07-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

You can just purchase the straight axle and spindle assembly for about $280.00 or so.
Pwrfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Does Dexter make replacement axel's for these trailers?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Yes they do make replacement axles. I think they there is a industry standard on dimensions for travel trailers.
Pwrfactor is offline   Reply With Quote