Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
RLT
New Camper

We are thinking of buying a new Zinger ZT19RDSE. We like the floor layout. My concern is about towing it. It is not as streamlined as I would like but the price of the trailer is something I don't want to miss out on. Can anyone out there give me some infor on how this trailer tows good ,bad , or otherwise. Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

We have the 2010 ZT19RD (not sure what the SE is) and we love it. The floorplan is great for a small package. I tow it with a Ram 1500 with no problems towing.

A few suggestions:
You willneed weight distribution and anti-sway; seems like smaller trailers are a bit morefeisty. I have a Reese SC Weight Dist/Swaycontrollerand I hate it and am looking to get an antisway that isn't friction based. If you do that you'll be golden.

Over all though we love the trailer; i shared your same concern with it being basically a flat wall on the front but she does very well.

Another suggestion is (here in Texas) summer camping is pretty warm so we had to put a fan above the bed to move some of the cooler conditioned air around that wall. And I'd get a foam topper for the mattress.

We've had ours for a full year now and are so happy we chose it.
TxZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hi! We just bought our Zinger ZT26BL and brought it home a week agoo! We had to tow it a 2 hr ride down the highway from the dealer. It is huge but it towed well. I am not used to anything this big but I listened to the advice I was given and got the reese dual cam set up (provides weight distribution and sway control) and I didn't have any real problems (just stuff in my head like getting used to the popping sound of the hitch). The tractor trailers didn't push me around much and my armada towed it like a champ.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

RLT,
I tow a 2010 zt19rd with an F250 truck...it tows like a dream. I use the old style dual cam bars and they just work....no problem at all with sway. Parking it is rather simple as well. And the layout is perfect for my use. Of course I've customized it just a bit, but it's a "perfect" small trailer. And...Crossroads support is second to none.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I second the Reese dual cam. We used it on two TT before we went to a 5'er. It controls the sway really well. If you already have the Reese weight distribution hitch, your dealer can just add the dual cam setup to your A frame.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

To those who have the dual cam sway control system, do you feel passing cars? This is the only travel trailer/box trailer I've ever towed so I don't know what is 'normal' but I know I can feel every inch of passing cars, trucks, and semi trucks. And if you get passed by more than one semi at a time it gets hairy. I've done a lot of research and have found the friction based, like i have, only help stop sway but the dual cams are supposed to help prevent it so i wanted to just get a few peoples opinion on here.

If i had it to do over I'd get the cam style based on that fact alone but I also don't know what is normal and what is excessive. Of course i want to feel nothing passing me!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

TxZinger,
I'm using the old style dual cam...has been on at least 4 or 5 trailers...if I'm driving down the interstate and watching ahead I can tell someone is getting ready to pass me, I guess b/c the dual cam kind of "locks up"....but there is no sway. It's just a very comfortable feeling.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We recently bought a 2011 ZT30KB and we were pulling it with a 2008 Cadillac Escalade. The trailer sway was crazy. 6800lbs dry weight. We had the Kurt WD hitch and sway bars, still a lot of sway. Then we finally (dont want to say upgraded) bought a 2009 Ford F150 with built in trailer sway control and what a huge difference. Pulls like a dream.

2009 F-150 Super Crew

McKinney, Texas

bella3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

When people are pulling with Durangos Escalades Tahoe Yukon Ect remember thaey come standard with passenger tires for a comfortable ride. By Changing to a LT tire you can pput more air in the tires and will not have the side flex. Thus it takes care of a lot of the sway

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I've wondered about the tire issue. I'm pulling with an 09 Ram 1500, built in sway control there as well. Im well within my weights, even made sure i have 15% on the tongue, The hitch does stop sway from getting crazy, but it requires a deceleration and some white nuckles.

My tires are 2 ply on the sidewalls, so I'm sure that might be a bit of the issue, but due to costs of tires, and a new hitch, i can't do both. Any experienced tow-ers have thoughts on that?

Sorry for hijacking this thread from the original question about the Zinger. I think we all agree our Zingers are great. I even had a question for crossroads, left a message, and got a call back within 5 minutes by a very helpful gentleman.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

They should be LT tires on the Dodge, make certain they are aired up to the towing specs. Adjust your controller to make the trailer brake first

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

When I brought my trailer home using the Reese dual cam, I felt it handled better than my old small 2 horse trailer w/o any kind of wd or sway control hitch. What I did notice was what felt like the truck would kinda skate across the road a little bit, mostly w/ midsized vehicles (ie minivans/suv's). I have been told this is because I am running a P rated tire and need to switch to LT tires. I can't do this right now because these tires are less than a year old and I can't afford to just dump them for new ones.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Site Team

Ask your tire dealer if he will take them on trade. My Goodyear dealer does.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Yes Lloyd is right if there are not too many miles on them a good tire dealer will take them in on trade

Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #15
New Camper

We have a 2010 19RD and I pull it with a Yukon set up with the Curt weight distribution hitch and friction sway control. I'm sure there are better systems, but we were able to buy it from our dealer used (one time) for a total price of $200 for the entire set up when we bought our trailer. Given that this trailer is not very large and 3950 pounds dry, it pulls very well on and off the highway. You can feel the big rigs and larger vehicles when they go by, but nothing that makes me uncomfortable. No sway of any kind and I pulled it 4 hours to Mammouth Cave park with side winds in the 20 mile an hour range with gust up to 35...or so the weather station stated. You will notice this trailer in a head wind as it sits up higher than some, but still nothing here that would change my mind on buying the 19RD. I havefound that it'ssweet spot on the highway is 60 to 65miles an hour.It was hard for me to adjust to this speed on the highway since I'musually in a hurry, but once you let the get there fast attitude go, the trips are a whole lot less stressful. Hope this helps!

Later,

Jeff
JKIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
New Camper

Hello. I have a 2010 19RDS and pull it with a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. I have the Husky WD hitch with anti-sway. I've only ever pulled a small pop-up, so I don't have much to comapare, but I've felt pretty comfortable with it. I've not had any sway problems, but I do feel some vehicles and semis as they go by. The trailer doesn't seem to move much, but I can definitely feel them as they're going by the trailer. It's just kind of a"wiggle" in the steering wheel. I've pulled in some pretty windy conditions, and a nasty rain stormthrough heavy construction(the first trip I took of course) and I never felt any danger, but like I said, I can feel some vehicles as they go by. I'd definitely recommend the trailer to anyone.
Deshatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I have a 2009 19rd and pull with a 2008 F150 4.2L V6. I only use a sway bar. I am thinking about a weight distribution hitch. They just look very awkward in hooking up.

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I have a 2009 19rd and pull with a 2008 F150 4.2L V6. I only use a sway bar. I am thinking about a weight distribution hitch. They just look very awkward in hooking up.

You should definitely get a WD hitch. You're probably over the tongue weight limit on that truck without it. Figure in the range of 575-600# tongue weight loaded with alittle water.

These are very nose heavy compared to most trailer in this size range.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote