Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Ceramic heaters certainly help. I have to admit that the few times I've used them I was less than impressed, but then again, I admit I only let one run for an hour or so before turning it off.

NO, leaving the vent open does not mean the furnace will run continously. But that being said I can't imagine running it at 74 degrees either. You can tell I'm from a cold weather state as I run mine at about 68 degrees daytime, colder at night (thought that's what warm blankets/comforters/quilts were for). Actually, having ventilation will help the furnace to run more efficiently.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
Ceramic heaters certainly help. I have to admit that the few times I've used them I was less than impressed, but then again, I admit I only let one run for an hour or so before turning it off.

NO, leaving the vent open does not mean the furnace will run continously. But that being said I can't imagine running it at 74 degrees either. You can tell I'm from a cold weather state as I run mine at about 68 degrees daytime, colder at night (thought that's what warm blankets/comforters/quilts were for). Actually, having ventilation will help the furnace to run more efficiently.
My husband's from the south so he's a heat lover, day and night. He likes it warmer than I do. As for myself, I don't need much heat at night but do like to be comfortable during the day.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
We place the bubble facing inside so the flat surface fits flat against the glass. With that small of a unit it may pay you to get the fantastic fans to help move the air and protect the vents from rain. I would also look into a small dehumitifier
In Greenhouses the bubbles face the glass. Just the opposite. The theory is the air gets trapped not just in the bubbles, but between the flat layer and glass itself as well giving an insulated layer of trapped air. Either way may work.

One vent has a fan. We needed those vent covers called MaxxAir and picked them up at CampingWorld. He installed them yesterday. Believe me when I tell you there is no room for even a small dehumidifier in a 19' Zinger unless I get rid of those plastic dresser-like things I need for storage of clothing etc. There are disadvantages to these small new TTs as well as advantages.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #24
New Camper

I'm new to the forum, but have been watching and reading it for a couple of months now. My wife and I bought a used 2008 19' Zinger in August. We have owned S-10 Blazers for years so we had to buy a truck as well (2003 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab). We have the same problem with the condensation with our camper as mentioned on this post. We have even went and bought the MaxxAir vent covers as well. We haven't been camping since we got the vent covers, but we are hoping they will help. It is true what was mentioned earlier about the condensation being terrible with these campers, or we are doing something wrong. We have bought a couple of the pellet de-humidifers, to try to help with the moisture, hasn't helped much. We camp in Pigeon Forge, Tn. and we have camped in hot and cold weather up there, still the same problem. We will try the open vents in the spring and see if it helps any. We thought we wanted a small camper since it is just the two of us, but I've already realized that we are going to have to upgrade to a larger one in a couple of years. But over all, I believe the Zinger is a well built camper, but I have put some of the modifications that are mentioned on this forum to use already. Chad and Kristi McKeehan, Athens, Tenn.

Athens, Tn.

2003 Chevy 1500HD

2008 Zinger ZT19RD
50Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #25
New Camper

A small dehumidifier is the best way to go, but it is never a bad idea to get a little fresh air with an open window. If you still have condensation, be sure to wipe it right away as it can cause mold issues.
gibster16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #26
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster16
A small dehumidifier is the best way to go, but it is never a bad idea to get a little fresh air with an open window. If you still have condensation, be sure to wipe it right away as it can cause mold issues.

Siince we're planning to move to Florida this year, I'm no longer too worried about condensation. We didn't have a problem with the A/C causing it, just when the heat was on. And that without using the shower or cooking inside. Had we showered in the Zinger and cooked in it.... it would have been raining on our heads.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

Come on down we are in Lake city nice area.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

Hi cwit

where abouts is lake city is it in florida

we are in palm harbor florida about 12 miles north of clearwater on thegulf coast

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...2005zinger.jpg
vanhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit
Come on down we are in Lake city nice area.
We have our heart set on the Sarasota-Bradenton area. Is Lake City near Ocala?

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Lakecity is up near route 10 north of ocala about 90 miles. We left Ocala this year and went north to try and get rid of the rain.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Lakecity is up near route 10 north of ocala about 90 miles. We left Ocala this year and went north to try and get rid of the rain.

Brrrrrrrrr... the winters are too cold for us that far north in FL. We want those nice warm winters with a minimum of chill. My SILs are about 10 to 15 miles south of Ocala and it gets cold there in the winter.

As for the condensation and some people's Zingers not havinga problem to speak of.... I can only assume the 19' Zinger lacks good insulation as the walls were freezing cold and it was only in the 40s. I wouldn't want to be in it in the 20s or 30s.

We plan to start camping again with a TN camp club the end of March. I can't wait.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

This year if you keep track of temps inOcala ithas been colder then Lakecity. Next year we will head down around Ft. Myres. We have camped in our Zinger nown to 16 degrees in W.V. 2 elec. and furnace also but we were warm. burned a tank of gas in 4 days of traveling south. All Zingers are built the same.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #33
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
This year if you keep track of temps inOcala ithas been colder then Lakecity. Next year we will head down around Ft. Myres. We have camped in our Zinger nown to 16 degrees in W.V. 2 elec. and furnace also but we were warm. burned a tank of gas in 4 days of traveling south. All Zingers are built the same.
I have an acquaintance on another board living down in Ft. Myers. She loves it there and it is certainly warmer than Ocala or the Bradenton-Sarasota area. It's almost tropical but the summers are deadly hot and humid.

We were warm in our Zinger also. The furnace is adequate. It was the walls that were cold to the touch, the windows that steamed up and started to drip down the walls. Leaving the windows and a vent cracked helped with the condensation, but then we had the cold damp draft to endure. It was better than having to towel the walls under the windows. Leaving the roof vents open alone didn't do much good. There's no heater in our bathroom so we have to leave the door open which narrows the space past the door and kitchen sink. The Zinger we have is definitely not made for cold weather camping unless the windows are somehow covered with plastic or that ugly bubblewrap.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #34
Family Vacation Member

We are new here, having just bought a 2010 19RD about 3 weeks ago.

FWIW: In our previous trailer (1995 Thor Chateau 17L), if we had hookups, we rarely ran the furnace. We relied on our small 1500W electric heater. Electric heat is a dry heat, as opposed to propane, which is a moist heat. We are not what you would call 4 season campers, but have camped down into the 20's several times. We would set the furnace at 65. Fortunately the Chateau had jalousie windows, unlike the Zinger. Your 2008 has another advantage. The 2010 only has one roof vent, and it's in the bathroom, but it does have a little fan. We did put a Maxxair cover on it. We leave the bathroom door open most of the time. The furnace thermostat is not on the main wall, so the door fits flat against the wall.

Lowes has a small dehumidifier about the size of a breadbox. (remember those?) If nothing else, you could put it in the tub and let it drain there. I think we're going to do that with our Zinger.
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #35
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick
We are new here, having just bought a 2010 19RD about 3 weeks ago.

FWIW: In our previous trailer (1995 Thor Chateau 17L), if we had

hookups, we rarely ran the furnace. We relied on our small 1500W

electric heater. Electric heat is a dry heat, as opposed to propane,

which is a moist heat. We are not what you would call 4 season campers,

but have camped down into the 20's several times. We would set the

furnace at 65. Fortunately the Chateau had jalousie windows, unlike the

Zinger.

<B>Those jalousie windows are another thing I miss. I despise the

windows on our Zinger with the mere "slits" on the bottom for

ventilation. Why did they ever switch? The longer we have this Zinger

the more I miss the old campers with plenty of jalousie windows and

easily reached storage. Ours has 2 roof vents. One over the bed in